Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Thinking about buying a 'new' truck, talk me out of an `02/`03 harley f150 (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Thinking about buying a 'new' truck, talk me out of an `02/`03 harley f150
DA PO PO FOO
¯
Member # 1910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DA PO PO FOO  Ford pictures for DA PO PO FOO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they have forged cranks and pistons they also have lower compression the reg f-150s. There safe with a good tune. i made 440rwhp to the tire and it had 100k before it let go.
DA PO PO FOO
¯
Member # 1910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DA PO PO FOO  Ford pictures for DA PO PO FOO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKDVNM:
quote:
Originally posted by rollin5ive0:
i think they have some with lightining motors in em right?

No, they have a stock 5.4L short block, they can only take as much power as a Regular F150 with a 5.4L, No forged internals. I had an 03, built it for SEMA 2003 then it became to much and sold it... if I did it all over again I would of put a smaller upper pulley, lowered it, full exhaust and leave it alone.
crank and pistons are forged.The pistons are not 2618 aluminum pistons, for example like manley or JE. But they are still forged pistons. [patriot]

--------------------
Ford Diesel technician

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so nobody talked me out of one yet? [Wink]

I found one about 2 hours from me, 70k miles asking for $13k, but it needs the heater core replaced, is that as big of a PITA as on a mustang? I've done it on a truck before but it was a tahoe, was easy.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you think a diesel is loud and uncomfortable on long road trips i'd suggest you test drive a nice 04-06 dodge with the cummins and see how you feel after that. My friend had one for a while and it road very nice around town and on the freeway, got 24mpg on road trips and wasn't too loud in the cab (much quieter than my 2000 F250 with the 7.3)

that being said I love my 99 F150 4x4. Rides great, but doesn't have the power my diesel had when passing cars on the freeway. I really miss that part of it. although a supercharger would certainly fix that problem [burnout]

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try looking on nhtoc.com for harley trucks

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fastasslightning:
quote:
Originally posted by WIKDVNM:
quote:
Originally posted by rollin5ive0:
i think they have some with lightining motors in em right?

No, they have a stock 5.4L short block, they can only take as much power as a Regular F150 with a 5.4L, No forged internals. I had an 03, built it for SEMA 2003 then it became to much and sold it... if I did it all over again I would of put a smaller upper pulley, lowered it, full exhaust and leave it alone.
crank and pistons are forged.The pistons are not 2618 aluminum pistons, for example like manley or JE. But they are still forged pistons. [patriot]
Huh that's interesting, when I took mine to SEMA the guys form Ford came over to talk to me about the truck and they told be it was a bone stock 5.4L because of price and budget they decided not to put the L motor in it.

Either way one day I will get my hands on another 03 Silver and Black.

Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^ I see alot of your post on the harley site . I've seen pics of your truck. What mods did you have done to it?

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87droptop50:
try looking on nhtoc.com for harley trucks

I did and all the truck for sale posts are from 2008, unless I'm looking in the wrong classifieds area

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
so nobody talked me out of one yet? [Wink]

I found one about 2 hours from me, 70k miles asking for $13k, but it needs the heater core replaced, is that as big of a PITA as on a mustang? I've done it on a truck before but it was a tahoe, was easy.

there easy to do
BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
doesnt FOSTANG have one forsale?

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:
doesnt FOSTANG have one forsale?

this forum is absolutely impossible to search, searching for fostang in ford sale brings up 0 threads, and searching general talk brings up only this one [Frown]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
member #3752

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
I'll sell mine two tone really clean 03'.

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

made a deal tonight at a socal dealer that just got an `02 DSG harley in trade.

it's cosmetically rough (some idiot used it as a contractor/work truck?!) but mechanically very sound, 125k miles, 1 owner, clean title, no accidents, completely stock. Has the moon roof and rear sliding window options that I wanted too.

dealer accepted my offer of $7k + my `01 blazer in trade, hopefully I get it this weekend [Whoo Whooooo!] [burnout]

[ November 06, 2009, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

it's cosmetically rough (some idiot used it as a contractor/work truck?!) but mechanically very sound, 125k miles, 1 owner, clean title, no accidents, completely stock. Has the moon roof and rear sliding window options that I wanted too.

dealer accepted my offer of $7k + my `01 blazer in trade, hopefully I get it this weekend [Whoo Whooooo!] [burnout]

Sounds like a rip if your 01 blazer was paid off... Lets see some pics! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id pass on that truck. Sounds like your just trying to jump into the first thing you find. But if your willing to put in the money to fix all thats wrong its up to you but weight that compared to finding that doesnt need anything.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
quote:

Sounds like a rip if your 01 blazer was paid off... Lets see some pics! [Big Grin]
I paid for the blazer in cash ($2000), drove it for 3 years, and right now it needs an ABS controller ($$$) and a radiator. I've had it on craigslist for months now with zero emails or calls.

how's it a rip, I'm essentially paying 9500 for a mechanically perfect 100% stock truck that's worth about 12k if I clean it up, most of which is just paint repair, the interior is an 8/10. And getting $2500 for the blazer, which is more than I paid for it...

I pick it up tomorrow, it's getting smogged/safety checked now, and I requested a leak down test / spark plug thread inspection to be done today as well.

whatever I get I can't garage, my notch and my fobra stay in the garage along with all my tools, so I figure something with cosmetic issues won't give me a heart attack [Smile] The body is straight, just scratched and scuffed, I've repaired worse paint before.

[ November 06, 2009, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Id pass on that truck. Sounds like your just trying to jump into the first thing you find. But if your willing to put in the money to fix all thats wrong its up to you but weight that compared to finding that doesnt need anything.

+1 who wants payments on a 9 year old car with 125k miles on itand needs work. But hey as long as he's happy! [patriot]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

welp deal is done, waiting for the new tires and brakes, hopefully I get to pick it up monday, here's a couple pics, the worst areas are obviously the bumpers, inside the bed, and the tailpipe.

-
 -
 -
 -

it's filthy as they haven't even washed it since it was traded in. On the paperwork for the leak down test I had them perform, the tech wrote that spark plugs were motorcrafts and looks like none of them have shot out (yet), maybe because they're original?

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
welp deal is done, waiting for the new tires and brakes, hopefully I get to pick it up monday, here's a couple pics, the worst areas are obviously the bumpers, inside the bed, and the tailpipe.

-
 -
 -
 -

it's filthy as they haven't even washed it since it was traded in. On the paperwork for the leak down test I had them perform, the tech wrote that spark plugs were motorcrafts and looks like none of them have shot out (yet), maybe because they're original?

car looks whopped! I would not have bought it but hey as long as you are happy.... You could have gotten much nicer trucks for 10k....

--------------------

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No accidents no way that thing looks like it hopped a curb with the front/exhaust like that.

Original plugs @ 125k (unless the previous owner has maint. paperwork from Ford) sounds like a raw deal. The rear weatherstripping is ripped as well..

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com