Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » $50 Paint Job Progress (photos) (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $50 Paint Job Progress (photos)
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I read the article on the cheap ass paint job with rollers lol. My mustang has been fading since the day I bought it but I could never bring myself to pay a ton of money to get it re-sprayed.

Since this is just a fox body and maybe worth $5k I figure what the hell so here is the beginning of the job. More photos to follow as progress progresses.

Feel free to flame me...I could give a fuck.

So I started with just the hood only. I wet sanded it with 220 on orbital sander. Found a quarter size ding in the process so I bondo that up. Otherwise hood is in great shape.

After wetsand with 220 and found ding:
 -
After bondo on ding:
 -
 -
Mixing of the paint and thinner. I used 4oz. of thinner to each 8oz. of paint. Found that to be to thick and added another 1oz. of thinner:
 -

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

-

BEFORE:
 -

AFTER:

-

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

-

-

Okay so that is only half of the first coat. Haven't done anything to it yet. going to finish up the ding so I can finish up the first coat but wanted to give ya'll an idea of how it's turning out. I think in the end it will pretty good.

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That looks worse than the top of the fenders. I would stop before you mess up your whole car. A nice paint job is expensive for a reason...

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

that isn't finished, wetsanded, buffed or anything of course it looks worse than the tops of the fenders right now lol. Great observation though
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what article did you read? Also are using power tools or doing it by hand? My male ego has always told me I could do a paint job, but the reality of rolling a shit paint job always slap me back into reality...lol...Doesnt look bad so far.
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another observation I made is that your using way too course sand paper. When body shops prep a car for paint, they use 1000grit on the old paint, if its not peeling or in need of primer. Maybe this roll on paint fills scratches like primer, but I know Dupont paint won't do that! 220 is for blocking primer. After that you would want to use 600 to get rid of the 220 sand scratches. Just a tip, I work at a body shop.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so far looks like ur doin a pretty nice job, good luck and keep it up [patriot]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

I just used 220 to put the top coat on...maybe I should have used 1000 first? I did get 800 and 2000. I'm going to wetsand first and second coat with 800 then 3rd coat with 2000.

Then wax and buff and wax and buff and see what happends.

Everything is by hand so far except the initial wetsand was with an orbital sander. After that everything has to be by hand.

Thanks for the info!

ChrisS
¯
Member # 6699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisS  Ford pictures for ChrisS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wouldnt touch any other panel on the car until you figure out how to get that hood looking tits....black is not easy.
Posts: 632 | From: Dallas Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by phat_turbo_du:
i wouldnt touch any other panel on the car until you figure out how to get that hood looking tits....black is not easy.

Even if it turns out awesome I'm only going to do the hood and top of car...rest of the cars paint is in pretty good shape. The fading has bothered me for years.

I do admit this the cheapest most ghetto thing I've done so far and if I step back and look at myself applying paint with a roller I feel like white trash. I hope it doesn't come out all fucked off.

It is going on very smooth though and even. I just hope I can get it to shine!

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I give you props J. I have always wanted to try this. I have never had the balls to do though. PLS keep us updated. Looking good so far.

[patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey there was another guy who did this type of paint job with a 67 or 68 coupe and his shit came out nice...so dont take the haters feedback personal. Not everybody on this message board was born with money!
Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
much props for the do-it-yourselfer.. looks fun. can't wait to see the finished product. [patriot]

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bet u'll get much props at the car show. An people wont even know untill u tell them. good job JERM. keep us updated JOHN

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
kudos for being a do-it-yourselfer and trying new things

Although this has disaster written all over it [Wink]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
freakin sick dude! my brother is doing this to his sol. lol. it takes hella layers of paint to do a full color change

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

-=5.0stang=-
¯
Member # 7825

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -=5.0stang=-  Ford pictures for -=5.0stang=-  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice job dude props for doin it urself i wudnt have da balss haha [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
96 green buick lesabre rebuilt engine 4000

92 grey oldsmobile cutlass supreme 1500

loking for a stick shift 5.0 88-93

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:
I bet u'll get much props at the car show. An people wont even know untill u tell them. good job JERM. keep us updated JOHN

Don't know if I'll have the hood done by show time..I totally forgot about the show lol. If it isn't right by show time then I'll be drivin something else or entering the best beater class!

Thanks for the support guys. This does have disaster written all over it though hahhaahha. I finished the first full coat and will sand it and add the second coat tomorrow. It's still tacky right now otherwise I'd be out there working on it.

Will post photos after tomorrows wetsand and 2nd coat.

In the article I think it says to get it to shine is to buff bufff buffffff and wax and buff. So we'll see.

gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt1990gt  Ford pictures for gt1990gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so does a paint shop have to strip this off when you realize you want a real paint job? seems like a lot of work to get it off... just thinkin you may like it know but you may want real paint someday to

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt
Blue 17'' 1993 Cobra wheels

Posts: 314 | From: Vacaville Ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

second wetsand on first coat with 800 grit and second coat of paint. Turning out a bit better. Tomorrow will wet sand with 2000 and put on third coat. Day after will do 4th coat and then see how it looks.

Here are some photos. Lighting is crap so it was hard to get a decent photo

-

-

-

-

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
everywhere i've read, they say it looks 100X nicer, and is way easier to spray the paint on

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks like a funky kind of brown, or almost a carbon fiber color.. shit but now that you've started keep going. [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very cool. Dont know if the shades of black will match, but I think its going to look real nice once u wetsand and buff some more. Keep us posted. Good Job [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

does look kinda brown huh. maybe I'll have to change my plate to skidmrk lol

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com