Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » california corrections? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: california corrections?
gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt1990gt  Ford pictures for gt1990gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any one take the test to be a prison gaurd? if so anything i should study on? also how is the physical test?

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt
Blue 17'' 1993 Cobra wheels

Posts: 314 | From: Vacaville Ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Man that's a tough job, just from seeing on MSNBC special reports. LOL. But seriously, why don't you apply for street police or better yet CHP. I just heard last night that CHP is in it's largest recruting time (ever). That's what they said last night on channel 2.

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A few years back I breezed thru the written test. I don't remember what all was on it but some math for sure. It was scantron and they told you when you were done whether you passed or failed.

If you passed you came back in an hour to do your psych written. And set up a later date for the physical. The physical test was pretty much a joke.

my background took about 7 months. I ended up not taking a corrections position and working law enforcement instead.

some positives on CDC:
great pay, benefits, lots of OT avail., more opportunites to promote.

some negatives:
limited peace officer powers, you can be transferred to any facility in the state, your stuck in jail doing time like the inmates., from a few of my buddies who work CDC say the use of force policy sucks meaning you can't go hands on as much [Roll Eyes]

anybody who is currently CDC working any of this changed?

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a good buddy that works at Vacaville...I'll ask him. He loves it btw.

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt1990gt  Ford pictures for gt1990gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got my tesy date on jan 29th. my pops is an engineer in vacaville and my cousin is a guard in folsom. im prayin i pass all the tests.

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To my knowledge the CDC tests are VERY easy compared to other agencies. If you graduated from high school then you can pass the CDC exams, it's the background that will get you. I thought about corrections for 2 minutes until I heard from officers what goes down. Someone I know has four friends that were officers at Folsom. Yeah they had nice things and made good money and had good benefits. Is it worth making $80k plus a year but have an inmate throw a pot of piss and crap that has been festering in his cell for two weeks on you as you walk by? Not for me! Plus it came to light a few years later on how they worked all those overtimes shifts for sometimes two days straight.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whew doggie they couldn't pay me enough to get actual shit thrown on me not to include riots and repeat threats that I'm going to get killed.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have/had a bunch of friend that worked Oakland main jail until it closed. And they said it wasnt that strenuous and lots of overtime potential. talking to them the pros far out-weigh the cons. I took the CDC test out of college. Passed it, but decided to stay in the tech market being a programmer. Since the main jail closure a few of my friends work for SJ county jail with the J-cats and they complain about that all the time. A few others went to Elmwood. I never heard them say you can get transferred anywhere in the state. But they all have been transferred around the bay a few times. And your shifts rotate and crap like that.

I can ask them some questions if you got some. All of them have been doing it for over 10 years. Oh a couple of the went Sac PD I believe.

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Joooestang66:
To my knowledge the CDC tests are VERY easy compared to other agencies. If you graduated from high school then you can pass the CDC exams, it's the background that will get you. I thought about corrections for 2 minutes until I heard from officers what goes down. Someone I know has four friends that were officers at Folsom. Yeah they had nice things and made good money and had good benefits. Is it worth making $80k plus a year but have an inmate throw a pot of piss and crap that has been festering in his cell for two weeks on you as you walk by? Not for me! Plus it came to light a few years later on how they worked all those overtimes shifts for sometimes two days straight.

what do you mean backround?? i passed the 1st test and have a test date in sac idk abot it 100 percent tho
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The background is an investigation on you performed by the agency you're applying for. You'll get something called a Personal History Statement or something like it. It's a packet that you have to fill out with pretty much everything about you. Residences, schools, references, jobs, run in's with law enforcement, ect. It is very detailed! The background investigator reads your PHS and verifys the information you provided by calling the people you listed and going to your previous residences, neighbors, family, and jobs personally. They will call your references and ask them for other people that they know that might know you and call them. If you lie or try to cover something up they will find it and if it's bad enough they'll disqualify you. I've talked to people that I haven't talked to in years and my background investigator contacted them, and I didn't mention thier names at any time. You just let it all hang out there and hope for the best.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
At sac state they had a career fair. The sac pd people said with a BA degree you start at around 5600$ and can make up to 6800$ a month. Im not really sure how accurate that is though and if that is with ot included.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

YEFF
¯
Member # 4857

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for YEFF  Ford pictures for YEFF    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my mom works at folsom prison.

--------------------
RIP - 2000 Saleen Mustang GT - Custom Estate Green

DennisG
¯
Member # 163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DennisG  Ford pictures for DennisG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I work at the county level. Yes, the job's not for everyone. Yes, there are a lot of benefits including the opportunity to make over 6 figures a year. I've pulled in over 110 the last two years with a moderate amount of over time. Right now I'm in the middle of my 4 week vacation. I have arrest powers in the jail, not on the streets. Also qualify to carry firearm off duty. It's not a glamorous job, so if you are even considering a police department go that route instead. I work 14 days a month versus most PD's working 16-20. 12 hour days versus 8 hours for PD. Personally, I have no desire to go to the "streets". Everyone is differnet...good luck with your decision.

--------------------
Chrysler 2006 300C 6.1 SRT8
Stock with 1400 miles -13.2 @ 108.5

Posts: 387 | From: Manteca, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Forgot to add my cousin works at San Quentin. Now he said that is a whole different ballgame. you gotta have your game face on there. But the pay is a bit better I have heard.
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^

I bet. You probably end up getting stabbed there ...

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That aint no easy job.. Bastards in there don't g!ve a f*k about who you are..

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

anyone do the physical test? ive heard its hard and ive heard its ez? anyone take it? i want to know what is on the test? anything to read up on ? ive been waiting a year to take this test so help me out thanks for all the replies so far!!

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

CDC Physical Agility Test
gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

quote:
Originally posted by Joooestang66:
CDC Physical Agility Test

sweet bro i could not get the link i found to work thanks again

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As a current applicant lets see: The written test was easy, it is a pass or fail, then took my written psych took me about five hours to complete. After that I had a scheduled physical fitness test, and interview with a background investigator. I had to feel out a personal history statement within two weeks. The physical fitness portion was very simple nothing anybody that is in any kind of shape cant pass. The interview with the background investigator was to make sure everything was in order and you had everything. This portion also is a pass/fail, the BI was very impressed since I had a lot of Law enforcement letters of recommendation, along with my graduating from the police academy in the top five in my class with lots of awards. After turning everything in you will not hear anything for a long time, I just recently found out who my BI was and I am the one who contacted her. Anyways been in backgrounds since sept. 23 and have no idea how much longer its going to take it has been six months already, passed everything so far, now I have to still pass my oral interview with a pschologist and my pre-employment medical. Be patient!

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

quote:
Originally posted by 9Roush8:
As a current applicant lets see: The written test was easy, it is a pass or fail, then took my written psych took me about five hours to complete. After that I had a scheduled physical fitness test, and interview with a background investigator. I had to feel out a personal history statement within two weeks. The physical fitness portion was very simple nothing anybody that is in any kind of shape cant pass. The interview with the background investigator was to make sure everything was in order and you had everything. This portion also is a pass/fail, the BI was very impressed since I had a lot of Law enforcement letters of recommendation, along with my graduating from the police academy in the top five in my class with lots of awards. After turning everything in you will not hear anything for a long time, I just recently found out who my BI was and I am the one who contacted her. Anyways been in backgrounds since sept. 23 and have no idea how much longer its going to take it has been six months already, passed everything so far, now I have to still pass my oral interview with a pschologist and my pre-employment medical. Be patient!

thank you so much bro that was what i was asking. so the writtin is cool as in not to hard? im pretty sure i can pass the physical test just the written not sure? any thing you remember? about how they ask the questions on the written test???

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt

Hele On
¯
Member # 4107

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hele On  Ford pictures for Hele On    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
That aint no easy job.. Bastards in there don't g!ve a f*k about who you are..

Really? I agree that custody is not an easy task and I'm not trying to be a smartass... but please explain why the "..Bastards in there don't g!ve a f*k about who you are..". Are you speaking from experience, or about what someone else said?

[ January 18, 2007, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Hele On ]

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

My background took two weeks, I couldnt imagine waiting over six months for results.

--------------------

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The background varies..... I have heard upwards of 6-7 months down to 1 month. It has been a little over 2.5 for me... The written is pretty straight forward, the first section is about spelling, grammer, punctuation, etc. The second part is a bunch of paragraphs and you have to answer the most appropriate answer applicable for that particular paragraph. The third is very simple math, however they give you a specific time limit, I almost ran out of time. Like I said it is a pass/fail so no score is given, just pass it!! In the meantime, I am going to start applying at some bay area agencies.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

i have been riding my a arobic bike and sit up and crunches for the physical test. anything helps i figure

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com