Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » How did yall learn to work on cars? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: How did yall learn to work on cars?
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Basically im a senior at csus and almost done with school. I want to learn to work on cars but, havent really worked on them at all. I was thinking about going to WyoTech but its pricey. Did most of you guys learn just through experience?

Thanks!

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mu uncle would give me stuff to take apart and rebuild and hopefully i would do it right, i learn most of it on my own, sometimes i just like to take stuff apart and put it back together,
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tons of reading and trial/error

The online sources are endless.

also try:

www.howstuffworks.com

excellent engine tutorial there.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
worked with my brother who i "tool bitched" for...his friend build pro-mod motors so i he used to part-time there...other than that....I BROKE SHIT AND FIXED IT...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my pops taught me a lot of the general concepts and procedures...then I just started experimenting myself. Some things turn out better than others, but trying yourself is the only way to really learn.

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Learned from my dad origionally. Also, I read lots of manuals and learned from friends and forums like this one on the internet.

I would recommend volunteering to help a friend who is knowledgable work on their car. You will learn a lot that way.

BTW I also graduated from CSUS

Welcome to the board [patriot]

[ December 01, 2005, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take a car apart and you'll learn pretty quick

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Fast_Bitch
¯
Member # 2316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast_Bitch  Ford pictures for Fast_Bitch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can always ask johnb to teach you the ways of the mustangs . . . . . . .

--------------------
www.GirlsFmx.com

Think you can keep up ?

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Still not very good but started with general maintinace and then did oil and tranny changes at a gas station for a couple year's. Now if it is anything major I take it to the Man [Wink] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

87GeeTee
¯
Member # 5905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87GeeTee  Ford pictures for 87GeeTee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I learned through my old man. Changing oil, bleeding brakes, changing pads, was the first thing I did.

--------------------
Member #: 5145
PWA Owner & SRA Member
Two-Gun Motorsports

2002 GT; Gone But Not Forgotten
1987 GT Vert (Sold!)

Posts: 4278 | From: San Pablo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've learned a lot from BlackNGold. But most of my learning is breaking shit then either fixing it or buying a new one and remembering how I broke the old one. And even though manuals tend to suck and not provide you with ALL information its a very helpfull tool. Every car I have I have a manual for it.

internet is good too but don't take the first advise you read...make sure you do some homework.

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I started on building blocks, then Legos and went on to bigger and better things.
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought my 69 mustang when I was 16 and it was a POS so I took every automotive class in HS and JC I could find to keep it on the Road LOL. So now I have been a professional tech/mechanic for 20 damm years. If I bought a new car when I was 16 I could have been a doctor LOL

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is completely dependent on your drive and desire to learn. I read alot of books in HS and when I first joined the AF. That's it. I haven't ever been to a formal class or taken a course for car maint/repairs. You learn ALOT when you're broke as a joke and have to be to work in the AM...LOL. The Internet is a good tool, but as stated...don't believe all that you read...more than 50% is total BS. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Fast_Bitch
¯
Member # 2316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast_Bitch  Ford pictures for Fast_Bitch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
It is completely dependent on your drive and desire to learn. I read alot of books in HS and when I first joined the AF. That's it. I haven't ever been to a formal class or taken a course for car maint/repairs. You learn ALOT when you're broke as a joke and have to be to work in the AM...LOL. The Internet is a good tool, but as stated...don't believe all that you read...more than 50% is total BS. [Wink]

whats that sayin . . . dont beilve anything you read and only half of what you hear . . .

--------------------
www.GirlsFmx.com

Think you can keep up ?

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took apart my first 5.0, then when I put it back together. And working on all other 5 5.0
s I have had. I learned how to work on cars pretty damn good. Or at least I'm confident now.

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My pops showed me how to do oil changes and the basics when i was 12 and from then on ive just tinkered with cars. my first car was an old buick that broke down everyday, being the cheap ass that I am,I would figure stuff out myself cause I needed to get to work the next day.

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I relied on other people for a while because I was afraid to fuck up my car. and realized that other people aren't reliable so I figured if I want something done I would have to do it myself. I realized that after having my 5.0 for about 6 months so I started taking shit apart and trying to put it together again. I also ask my dad for help when I can't figure something out. But otherwise read instructions and articles in magazine or look online for info.

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i started back in high school on my old honda crx, i took metal shop instead of auto shop because all they ever did was oil changes. so in metal shop my teacher would let me park the car infront of the class, put it up on jacks and do stuff to it, i made the exhaust, intake, a metal spare tire cover with hindges. then i went to csus for a few years trying to do the engineering thing but i realized that working on cars makes me happy. so i decided to piss my parents off and drop out of csus, go to american river and go through the auto program there. most the classes were boring to me like brakes, suspension, and the basic class. but the other classes i learned quite a bit, and now here i sit a ase master tech and a kia senior tech.

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like ill just have to start experimenting then! Sounds like its just trial and error. Thanks for the input guys!

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My dad showed me a lot and then i took 4 semesters of autoshop in HS.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah man, you should try with one of your non daily drivers dude..if you have a mustang with a fuked up motor buy a used or new and swap them out man, thats how i started. first time its a little bit confusing,you lose bolts(i lost hellah bolts)you forget how the front accesories go so you look at your buddies five oh to look how it goes...stuff like that..
How i started was buying a roller foxbody, then i baught my friends wrecked mustang with complete engine, swapped it out,got every gasket you can think of on the engine,painted everything,and from there on u know about half of the things you need to know. I say do that first because say you sign up to a school and then you dont like the whole getting dirty,wrench status thing,that would really suck [patriot]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I learned from my pops first then manuals and friends who know how to do certain shit that I did not.
Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
always helped my dad and read a lot and took a college course on it along with being friends with mechanics andwhat not i guess well..................2 cougars ,3 mustangs,5motors,anda cobra kit car later i got a decent idea on how to handle it??? and if all else fails a loan from the bank and a sacrafical slurpee to johnb and you'll be good!
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Fast_Bitch
¯
Member # 2316

quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Basically im a senior at csus and almost done with school. I want to learn to work on cars but, havent really worked on them at all. I was thinking about going to WyoTech but its pricey.

I dont recomend wyotech .. . at all I mean you pay out the ass and then all you really have are books smarts you do end up having time on cars but basically I would apprentice with someone . . . My dad is a mechanic at a high performance shop in san ramon and he works as the head mechanic on a race team . . . but he tells me all day these kids come in from wyotech and they have hired a few but he says" dont get me wrong they are nice and they are book smart, but they never realized what they just got themselves into" words of the old man LoL basically if you do deside to do that basically try to get as much hands on as you can . . ..

--------------------
www.GirlsFmx.com

Think you can keep up ?

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com