Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Thinking About Getting A PIT Feedback Needed (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Thinking About Getting A PIT Feedback Needed
WILDTHANG
¯
Member # 4441

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for WILDTHANG  Ford pictures for WILDTHANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddies dog is about to have some Rednosed Pitbull pups. He has both the Mom(4yr old) and the Dad(11yr old) they seem like very good dogs. I have had labs in the past and I just lost my last lab to a stroke last month. He was almost 14 years old. I have a few friends with Pits and they seem like very smart affectionate loyal dogs. Anyone here have one? Here is a pic of the son of my friends dogs, from a previous litter.
 -

--------------------
07 GT500
66 Drop

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get another lab [patriot]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wildthang i think you should definatley get one. i have to pit puppys now they are growing so fast i have a all black one with a white chest, thats my female. then my male is a blue pit and he is growing so fast i get nothing but compliments on him. the people i bought him from have one male puppy left for 200. im trying to help find it a good home. im in martinez and if you would like to meet up and see his temperment then i could show you them. i think they are the best dogs in the world.
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
get another lab [patriot]

[patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Fast_Bitch
¯
Member # 2316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast_Bitch  Ford pictures for Fast_Bitch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pits are great dogs, but pits are no where close to owning a lab. Everyone loves labs most people are scared of pits. I was a dog trainer at one point of time in my job career. . LoL but make sure you socialize and that you do have time to work with them everyday to keep their mind going and not let them end up as a backyard dog like some people do . . . I love pits If I could have another dog I would get one . . . and don’t forget they have a bad rep . . . and most home owners insurance will drop you if they find out you have a pit or so I'm told.

--------------------
www.GirlsFmx.com

Think you can keep up ?

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i alos herad about that home insurance thing, but dont know if its real or not. people love my dogs, but they are puppies i know people are going to look at them a lot differently when they get big and that sucks but that is something you will have to realize. people make it out to be that these dogs are like bombs and will blow at any time.
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There was a big thread on this a few months ago that you might want to look for.

I'd say go for it, but I know you have young daughters and I'd be a little worried about having a pitt around them, no matter how well trained they are.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
There was a big thread on this a few months ago that you might want to look for.

I'd say go for it, but I know you have young daughters and I'd be a little worried about having a pitt around them, no matter how well trained they are.

And by "they" I meant the pitt bulls, not your daughters [Razz]
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, welcome to the club. Just want to say this out front though, please do more research on the breed. It's always best to know your "myths" from the "facts" about them, like their "locking" [Roll Eyes] jaws.

I always hate meeting some random teenage guy who say they own "pit bulls" and when asked about them I get the same lame ass response somewhere along the lines of ..."oh, I got two blue noses [Roll Eyes] , and they got big ass heads, and they some hitters [Roll Eyes] ." (EBONIC translation = large size head, fight real well)

Overall, pits are very active dogs, some would even say a bit more active than the average Lab, Shepard, Dobe, or Rott. Beautiful breed that shows a lot of character. Good luck with finding the perfect one for you and your family! [patriot]

RULE OF THUMB:
No matter how good the breeder, how well the disposition of the parents, and how well you have or will train your dog, a RESPONSIBLE owner is always aware of the dog and prudent to watching their pit when around children(especially their own), and other people, knowing the consequences that can happen at anytime.

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
DOPE 50
¯
Member # 5892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DOPE 50  Ford pictures for DOPE 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Bro dont get one You Dont want to Worry about that Dog getting into any trouble and bitting someone and plus i think they just past the law in some counties that the dogs have to be leashed or some BS like that

--------------------
94 COBRA CLONE CONVERTIBLE
67 SS CHEVY NOVA,CAGED UP,TUBBED,FUEL CELL,ETC..IN THE WORKS.[67SSNOV]
91 INTEGRA ON 17'S
94 Ranger Getting lifted

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have to have such a stringent rule of "thumb" to have a dog around your family, maybe you should consider a breed that doesn't.

I have owned many dogs and think the lab is a perfect family dog if you don't mind the size. Have two right now. They also are excellent retrievers if you hunt. Mine just retrieve frisbees.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Fast_Bitch
¯
Member # 2316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast_Bitch  Ford pictures for Fast_Bitch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by outlawd94cobra:
Dude, welcome to the club. Just want to say this out front though, please do more research on the breed. It's always best to know your "myths" from the "facts" about them, like their "locking" [Roll Eyes] jaws.

I always hate meeting some random teenage guy who say they own "pit bulls" and when asked about them I get the same lame ass response somewhere along the lines of ..."oh, I got two blue noses [Roll Eyes] , and they got big ass heads, and they some hitters [Roll Eyes] ." (EBONIC translation = large size head, fight real well)

Overall, pits are very active dogs, some would even say a bit more active than the average Lab, Shepard, Dobe, or Rott. Beautiful breed that shows a lot of character. Good luck with finding the perfect one for you and your family! [patriot]

RULE OF THUMB:
No matter how good the breeder, how well the disposition of the parents, and how well you have or will train your dog, a RESPONSIBLE owner is always aware of the dog and prudent to watching their pit when around children(especially their own), and other people, knowing the consequences that can happen at anytime.

[patriot] also they are terriers hyper active ..

--------------------
www.GirlsFmx.com

Think you can keep up ?

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

i think its the most annoying thing when people swear there dog has lock jaw. there is no lock jaw and people that breed there dogs to fight or be agressive are just stupid as fuck.
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any dog can be vicious. It all depends on the owner. If your looking for a family dog then I still say stick with labs (I've always had labs and they were hand signaled trained..and voice trained to protect my homes..and parent's homes.). I know they are all friendly and loveable, but they can definitely look different when you have two 90+ pound labs snarling at you [Eek!] (Are those still labs I am looking at? sheesh [Eek!] )

It all depends what you want, really. Family dog=lab....guard dog=rot/pit/doberman/shepard. These dogs are all friendly when properly trained, but I'd rather have a Chihuahua bite me then a rot [Wink]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've bin reading up on pitts. It turns out that you are more likely to be bit by a lab than a pit. Pits acualty fall fourth from the bottom on a list of dogs most likely to bite you but they are responsable for 1/3 the deaths of humans. Only reason being, the ones that normally attack were abused by humans or used for dog fights. My pitt was raised with a 3 year old boy. They used to jump on the trampolene all the time and was the best behaved dog at the dog park. other dogs would try to fight but she'd walk away

[ November 14, 2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: poisonpony96 ]

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 14, 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: poisonpony96 ]

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

my pits play good with my dads boxers, and my gilrfriends yorkies. so they play well with big dogs and little dogs. and they are good with little kids.
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

quote:

RULE OF THUMB:

Dude, thanks for your most gracious welcome to the club, dude!

Dude, I'm also not a teenager, and your tangential remark about them had little to do with what I posted.

I know that you're a very loyal pitt owner, dude, but assuming I had to pick from two equally trained dogs (one pitt and one lab) for my young daughters I would prefer a lab over a pitt any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I think you're fanatical love of pitts may cloud your ability to think objectively, dude.

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glen how bout saving a lab/pit mix from a rescue center?

We have two of them and they're great...very loving and not the least bit aggresive. Carissa seems to like them too plus you've seen them.

[ November 14, 2005, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: twisted54 ]

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get one and love it to death. You'll never be happier.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Migs
¯
Member # 5439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Migs  Ford pictures for Migs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pit's are one of the best breed I think. I had a red nose growing up and it never bit me. Always had fun with other dogs and kids. Just how you raise them I believe. My GF rescued one that somebody left on the side of the road tied to a carton full of food and water. It has been the most loving dog I have ever seen. [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P SilverLX! You are missed bro.

Posts: 348 | From: Healdsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
hotchp50
¯
Member # 6068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hotchp50  Ford pictures for hotchp50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey go look at the pics page my dog i gave my grandma is in there she loves him to death she did not like him at first because of all the negative media but she loves the breed now after having one. I breed them and have owned pits for about 18yrs my family owned german shepards and three of them bit me at different times though. not comdemning gs but i got a pit after the third bite. I was 13yrs old when i got my first pit. give me a call 415 716-7873 james if you want to know more i dont know everything but i have been involed with the breed so i know more than most not trying to offend anyone just have history with the breed. Oh yeah he is 100pds and he is papered obedient tested that is the most important if the puppy attacks the other puppies more aggressivly than others then look at the more playful one.

[ November 14, 2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: hotchp50 ]

--------------------
I miss my gift from GOD (MY GRANDMA) IN LOVING MEMORY...And there is still No rats in my basement only pitbulls & AK's

WILDTHANG
¯
Member # 4441

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for WILDTHANG  Ford pictures for WILDTHANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by twisted54:
Glen how bout saving a lab/pit mix from a rescue center?

We have two of them and they're great...very loving and not the least bit aggresive. Carissa seems to like them too plus you've seen them.

Ya that last lab I adopted from the rescue center snap at my kids and bit my wife. She was too old and had a questionable past(the dog and not the wife), but on the other hand my 1st lab was rescued at 4 months old and he was an awesome dog. We like to spend a lot of time with our dogs and I like an athletic dog, swim, run, jump in the truck, etc. Plus when I'm in Hunters Point at 3am, nobody's fvckin with me or my truck. One of my guys just got broke into and ripped off in Pittsburg at 4:30am the other morning. Break my window and loose an arm.

Obviously they aren't as prone to attack as other breeds, but if they do, there will be more damage, I understand that. I have a huge yard now and I love having a dog around, I think a Pit would fit.

Thanks for the input everyone!

--------------------
07 GT500
66 Drop

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just got a pit puppy she's great. as long as u know the parents and do your research they are great dogs i have three kids and a 16month daughter and they play together fine.
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
quote:

RULE OF THUMB:

Dude, thanks for your most gracious welcome to the club, dude!

Dude, I'm also not a teenager, and your tangential remark about them had little to do with what I posted.

I know that you're a very loyal pitt owner, dude, but assuming I had to pick from two equally trained dogs (one pitt and one lab) for my young daughters I would prefer a lab over a pitt any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I think you're fanatical love of pitts may cloud your ability to think objectively, dude.

That post wasn't directed towards you bro, that was for Glenn.

I might love Pitts, but that doesn't cloud my ability to think objectively on them at all. Just wanted him to know that if he did decide to get one, that he should know everything about the breed, positive & negative. My dogs are great, but i never put anything past them....in the end they are still just dogs and don't think or see things exactly like humans do. You are right though, I don't think we'd have any pitts if we had children around 24/7. I too, would get a different breed, maybe a fucking yorkie if it were up to my significant other.

I've been having to put up with negative comments, watching negative media coverage, disgusted stares, and extreme questions, for the past 7 years. Nothing new to me.

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com