Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » How many 12 sec stock motored foxes do we have in nor cal? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: How many 12 sec stock motored foxes do we have in nor cal?
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by StockMotorHero:
Luke, you're definitely one of the fastest, if not the fastest. I am the fastest in Southern California, no doubt about it. [Big Grin]

Drew, how fast did you go with the stock 94 GT motor ??? [Eek!]

Some of my very first mods would have already bumped me from this category of setups [burnout]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
quote:
Originally posted by yipnip5.0:
"no weight reduction" except for skinnies up front?
"stock from pan to TB" except for:

- electric fan
- headers
- Under-drive water pump and crank pullies
- Moroso CAI
- C&L 76mm MAF
- NO BELT!?! WTF, like that is stock? [Roll Eyes]

[Confused]

I wonder how many of these "is anyone faster than me with my [fill in the blank plus stock lugnuts] criteria" threads get posted each year?

Nice times dude, but Ed McMahon says he ain't ready to give you any prizes.

[Confused]

Seems like a pretty simple concept to me. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ON/IN THE MOTOR, just change things "around" the motor. People have been talking about setups like this for years trying to get into the 12's. [patriot]

Yip, I understand your logic, and Drew thank you for explaining. What this stems from is that when it comes to motor build-ups, someone will always be faster than you. By racing stock motors, as they came from the factory, you set a common baseline and everyone has the same starting point to chase the goal. The idea is to maximize the motor that you already have. This concept has existed for many years. I did not just invent it, lol. It allows people all over the country to compare apples to apples when it comes to their 5-liter.

This has been a concept that has been alive since 1987 when Neil Van Oppre propelled an '87 LX hatch into the 12.99 range mostly stock. He had a few mods "around" the motor like Drew described, but for years people ruled it out because he had aftermarket roller rockers. Then, if I am not mistaken, Ed Hohengerg did it in 88 in his 87lx coupe. This guy used a very steep gear and 28 inch slicks, again with boltons, going wheels up to dip into the 12's. Here is a pic:

-

In '89, Bob Cosby (who is the one responsible for making stock motored 12.99's mainstream due to his continuous magazine exposure where rags were impressed with his times with no aftermarket heads/intake/cam/rr) dipped into the 12's.

Since then its been reproduced by a number of people all over the country who have posted results all over the popular sites such as corral.net, stangnet.com, mustangworks.com, etc.

Although there is some ambiguity as to what exactly is acceptable, both "stockmotorhero" and I have read a lot about this concept in the past few months. If you are interested, there is a wealth of info on this topic if you do a search on the corral where guys attempted to quantify it all. Nobody will ever completely agree as to what is acceptable and what isn't, but that's normal.

And Yip, thank you for pointing out the ambiguity in all of this, because you are absolutely right, but some baseline needs to be defined... otherwise what are all the stock motored guys chasing? I fully recognize how silly this concept seems for someone without the background in it [patriot]

So in conclusion, Drew hit the nail on the head. Thanks Drew [Big Grin]

[ April 05, 2006, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chris is running SD?

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Chris is running SD?

Who is Chris?

--------------------
AED

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Chris is running SD?

yes, he is running SD Jim.

Drew, Chris is my buddy "stockmotorhero"
The guy with the blue 86 shown in this post...

--------------------
Stangless

StockMotorHero
¯
Member # 6171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StockMotorHero  Ford pictures for StockMotorHero    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Seems like a pretty simple concept to me. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ON/IN THE MOTOR, just change things "around" the motor. People have been talking about setups like this for years trying to get into the 12's. [patriot] [/QB]
Drew--thanks for clarifying ... you know what Luke's goal was whereas many of these guys don't understand. It's about ringing out a combination to the absolute MAX.

Yipnip--the point here is to replicate and honor the accomplishments of stock motor racers of yore by using parts similar to what was available to them in 1987-1988. At that time, Bob Cosby, Ed Hohenberg, Al Renkel, and others only had basic speed parts at their disposal ... gears, slicks, skinnies, air filters, underdrive pullies, removing the belt, aftermarket shifter, clutch, basic weight removal, timing/ tuning and most importantly AGGRESSIVE driving. The most amusing part about running a stock motor into the 12's is that 99% of people you meet at the track don't believe you!!

You can't argue that going fast with less isn't cool... and it's even more fun doing it without the aid of drag suspension.

[ April 05, 2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: StockMotorHero ]

--------------------
86LX Coupe - stock 93 motor throttle body to oil pan, T5, bolt-ons, slicks

12.96 @ 100.69, 1.75 60ft SAC
best 60: 1.67
best mph: 102.77

Posts: 21 | From: orange county, ca | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is why I went for 11's naturally aspirated at full weight w/ H/C/I 5.0 LX hatch. Lot's of non-believers until the get under the hood. Very entertaining.

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

StockMotorHero
¯
Member # 6171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StockMotorHero  Ford pictures for StockMotorHero    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BTW--I'm sure Jim Langley and Drew are well aware of the driving technique required to run the number here, but for others ... it takes a "take no prisoners" approach to the car. If you're scared of breaking it, you likely won't run the number. Here is an in-car video of one of my passes for reference (and believe me Luke drives his car just as hard):

In-Car

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Boo YaaaH!!!!!

Never lift and have a spare T5 ready at all times

Looks the inside of my rattle trap. May just have to do that V8 swap sooner than later... [Wink]

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
BTW--I'm sure Jim Langley and Drew are well aware of the driving technique required to run the number here, but for others ... it takes a "take no prisoners" approach to the car. If you're scared of breaking it, you likely won't run the number. Here is an in-car video of one of my passes for reference (and believe me Luke drives his car just as hard):

In-Car

Thats exactly right. In order to even consider 12.999 with a stock motor, the thing needs to be driven like a rental that is no longer in service.

Look at me, I launched off the limiter, 60fts were 1.70's, I powershifted every gear, and still fell a tenth short.

It was definitely a blast however! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Stangless

2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Coupes  Ford pictures for 2Coupes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok i want some slicks [burnout]

--------------------
91Coupe-347,tremec tko, 373's
68Coupe-GT40heads,crane2031cam,victor jr,tremec3550,3.55's
R.I.P. silverlx

Posts: 201 | From: Healdsburg, CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

I am selling some 5 lug rims and slicks in the for sale forum [patriot]

--------------------
Stangless

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went 11.8 with stock 5.0L block, crank, rods and iron heads (carbed.) full weight 67.
I too am a local hero in my own right. ( [worship] )

Thanks for telling me about this thread FasterDamnit, I needed the uplift today.

P.S. Nice ET's Luke, but why are you selling the slicks and stopping two tenths short?

[ April 05, 2006, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: 67stang ]

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

When I started this project, I gave myself an set amount of time, money, and effort to put into this. My willingness to invest more of those three resources has simply run out.

I put it all on the line on Saturday, no compromises. I had a respectable showing but fell a little short. I'm content. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Stangless

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very impressive, If I may say so. I went 12.88 with a stock cam in my 88LX in 2003. I had heads and an intake of course [Wink] but I agree that the stock motors CAN run hard if supported correctly and driven like hell [burnout]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
When I started this project, I gave myself an set amount of time, money, and effort to put into this. My willingness to invest more of those three resources has simply run out.

I put it all on the line on Saturday, no compromises. I had a respectable showing but fell a little short. I'm content. [Big Grin]

booooo

--------------------
AED

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
quote:

booooo
Yeah no kidding how can you be content with being a loser to your own goals? Your so close.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

booooo [/qb

luke, what's your actual trap speed? i saw your site and you said the mph equipment at the track was malfunctioning. i also saw that you had a 13.133@ 105mph run? what do u think the mph was on that particular pass?
Thanks.
Great times by the way.

--------------------
=(

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WHAT!!!!!!!! Dont quit!!! Joo can do it! 410's? Try 410's gear it some more. Im assuming your motor isnt a rebuild? A little power may be lost there, no excuses though. Atleast try until something brakes! Ice it? You WILL GAIN FROM ICING!!! Its cheesy at the strip BUT IT WORKS! ICE IT! Youre 1 tenth away.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by modular:
WHAT!!!!!!!! Dont quit!!! Joo can do it! 410's? Try 410's gear it some more. Im assuming your motor isnt a rebuild? A little power may be lost there, no excuses though. Atleast try until something brakes! Ice it? You WILL GAIN FROM ICING!!! Its cheesy at the strip BUT IT WORKS! ICE IT! Youre 1 tenth away.

yeah Ice it man. 1th. Drive naked or something or go throw up and shit before you run. Don't quit man.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ok, I will be honest, you guys really got me thinking, lol...

--------------------
Stangless

StockMotorHero
¯
Member # 6171

LUKE!!!

What are you going to do differently next time out?

You are a full tenth away after exhausting all your mods.

Weld rears, longtubes, dyno tune, weight removal??? What's in the cards?

--------------------

yipnip5.0
¯
Member # 175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yipnip5.0  Ford pictures for yipnip5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
LUKE!!!

What are you going to do differently next time out?

You are a full tenth away after exhausting all your mods.

Weld rears, longtubes, dyno tune, weight removal??? What's in the cards?

Weight Removal is ok now? nice consistency in the "rules" lol.
[Whoo Whooooo!]

StockMotorHero
¯
Member # 6171

Yipnip-- basic weight removal is acceptable. A/C delete, rear seat removal, passenger seat removal, spare tire/ jack removal, and things along those lines ... The car should not weigh less than 3000 lbs under any circumstances so you know we're not gutting the cars.

The reason I suggested it to Luke is because his car is basically 100% full weight fully optioned 93 coupe. A/C removal, along with rear seat removal could drop almost 100lbs and would basically bring him to his goal.

I hope this clears things up for you YipNip.

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Chris, we strongly disagree on that one. For me, the seat removal is gutting imho. It would not be considered...

sway bar, any rim config, spare, jack, and thats pretty it. Otherwise where does it stop?

--------------------
Stangless

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com