Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » My 96 GT LS swap build thread..ITS ALIVE!!! (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My 96 GT LS swap build thread..ITS ALIVE!!!
tooslowfiveo
¯
Member # 11511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tooslowfiveo  Ford pictures for tooslowfiveo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NvrGoFullRetard:
Are you gonna get it certified threw the state for the new swap or just go around it?
Im asking cuz i might end up doing a lsx swap into mine also.

He said he was using longtubes, it will not be eligible for BAR certification.
Posts: 162 | From: Dublin, CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by tooslowfiveo:
quote:
Are you gonna get it certified threw the state for the new swap or just go around it?

No shit.he might have a hook up with that. It's not that hard that he could use the original exaust manifolds and what ever catted pipe to pass the b.a.r and then switch to lt's and what ever exaust he wants. Im asking the questio because im thinking of doing the swap and was wondering what it takes to be complient when you take it into the bar to have it certified

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

No shit.he might have a hook up with that. It's not that hard that he could use the original exaust manifolds and what ever catted pipe to pass the b.a.r and then switch to lt's and what ever exaust he wants. Im asking the questio because im thinking of doing the swap and was wondering what it takes to be complient when you take it into the bar to have it certified
In general, you'd need the VIN for the donor car that you obtained the motor from. Say if you said you got it from a 4th gen F-body, you'd need to maintain all the factory smog equipment that it came with for that year vehicle. (Stock manifolds, stock cats in original location, EGR (98-00), AIR pump, EVAP canister, etc) plus have the OBD port in working condition to run the tests. You'd need the original air box or a CARB compliant intake for the donor vehicle, IIRC. I looked into swapping an E30 to make it CARB compliant and I didn't want to spend the budget to even try all of that. lol

[ 2016-02-03, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Black 02 SS ]

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
double post

[ 2016-02-03, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Black 02 SS ]

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

tooslowfiveo
¯
Member # 11511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tooslowfiveo  Ford pictures for tooslowfiveo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In general, you'd need the VIN for the donor car that you obtained the motor from. Say if you said you got it from a 4th gen F-body, you'd need to maintain all the factory smog equipment that it came with for that year vehicle. (Stock manifolds, stock cats in original location, EGR (98-00), AIR pump, EVAP canister, etc) plus have the OBD port in working condition to run the tests. You'd need the original air box or a CARB compliant intake for the donor vehicle, IIRC. I looked into swapping an E30 to make it CARB compliant and I didn't want to spend the budget to even try all of that. lol
This. Also, he said he was swapping an LM7, which is a truck motor and classed differently than an LS1 and not BAR eligible for that reason. Swapping everything would not be viable from a cost standpoint or a work standpoint especially if he plans on longtubes and will have to hot smog anyways.

[ 2016-02-03, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: tooslowfiveo ]

Posts: 162 | From: Dublin, CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This. Also, he said he was swapping an LM7, which is a truck motor and classed differently than an LS1 and not BAR eligible for that reason. Swapping everything would not be viable from a cost standpoint or a work standpoint especially if he plans on longtubes and will have to hot smog anyways.
Do you think they could discern between an LM7 and an LS1 if you have all the accessories/intake/manifolds off an F-Body ? It would have to be a knowledgeable ref to know the difference between iron block and the aluminum block.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Made a little more progress last weekend. Got the battery box and cut off switch all mounted and wired, also got the harness, fans, intake, brake booster, and clutch hydraulics in. Picked up my custom driveshaft yesterday. Going to work on it more tomorrow and hopefully start it for the first time!

-

-

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

65mustang408
¯
Member # 8681

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65mustang408  Ford pictures for 65mustang408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
interesting placement of the reg/ filter. looks clean otherwise.

--------------------
fast and cool shit

Posts: 947 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 65mustang408:
interesting placement of the reg/ filter. looks clean otherwise.

kinda the only spot that would work. it's far enough from heat sources to not be a problem. I'll be upgrading to a complete fuel system in the next couple of weeks before my tune.

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by i:
quote:
Originally posted by i:
Get herrrrrr done! [Whoo Whooooo!]

[worship]
[dance] She almost ready!

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

First start up vid!!! No better feeling than hearing a engine you put together your self start up first try and stay running with no problems!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-jBWmO2C4

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds Nice

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

SlowFiveOh94
¯
Member # 2404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowFiveOh94  Ford pictures for SlowFiveOh94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds stellar man! I'm going to have to look into that cam. I'm restoring a '68 Camaro and just picked up a 5.3L and 4L60E trans from a 2003 Silverado. Your exhaust/cam choice sounds exactly how I'm wanting my car to sound. What exhaust are you running in addition to the long tubes?

--------------------
2001 Mustang GT (Faleen Speedster)

Posts: 1184 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
D.R.E
¯
Member # 10484

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.R.E  Ford pictures for D.R.E    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is that the 5.3 crank pulley or corvette pulley?

--------------------
Local 3 Operating Engineers member
1991 titanium frost coupe
1991 x chp coupe

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

quote:
Originally posted by SlowFiveOh94:
Sounds stellar man! I'm going to have to look into that cam. I'm restoring a '68 Camaro and just picked up a 5.3L and 4L60E trans from a 2003 Silverado. Your exhaust/cam choice sounds exactly how I'm wanting my car to sound. What exhaust are you running in addition to the long tubes?

that's just longtubes. haven't got to take it to the exhaust shop yet.

quote:
Originally posted by D.R.E:
Is that the 5.3 crank pulley or corvette pulley?

it's a ls1 F body C/P

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

19mystic96
¯
Member # 7553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19mystic96  Ford pictures for 19mystic96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds great! glad to see you got it running!

--------------------
1996 Mystic cobra #32

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Just need exhaust, and a alignment and ill be good to go!

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That cluster is clean,where did you get the green lenses for the turn signals? I need some

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
That cluster is clean,where did you get the green lenses for the turn signals? I need some

bought the cluster from Florida50.com..turn signals came like that

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com