Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » My 96 GT LS swap build thread..ITS ALIVE!!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My 96 GT LS swap build thread..ITS ALIVE!!!
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know, I know, why didn't I just build a Ford engine? Because this is something I've wanted to do for awhile and finally have the time/funds to do it. Street ability is not really a factor in this build since I have a daily driver but, it will definetly be drivin to local meets/cars and coffee. Here we go..

Bought the car in the first week of January from a friend who recently did a P.I. swap with MMR ported heads, Comp cams, 4.10s, and longtubes. Fixed a couple little things that the car needed done and got it running the way I like it. Upgraded the cooling system with a aluminum radiator and helped it breathe better with a JLT C.A.I and a sct tuner.

How it looked when I got it (my old red sn95 in the back) 

-

Got some new wheels

-

First round of Mods was full TeamZmotorsports rear suspension with the relocated uppers, double adjustable lowers, Strange adjustable rear shocks, stock v8 springs with one coil cut (upgrading to the TeamZ drag spring soon), Torque Box reinforcements, and a NX plate kit.

-

-

-

-

This is where the fun begins...

Got the car back from the first round of mods, got it allligned, drove it around for a week or 2(never got to spray the 2v) then i decided it's now or never and parked the car to get ready for the tear down. Spent a day getting all the stuff out the way for the engine/ trans to come out. Finally got some help from a friend a couple weeks later, had the engine and trans almost out then found out the Longtubes were hitting on the kmember so we ended up dropping the k-member and the rest of the front suspension (since it's allgetting replaced anyways). During the time I was getting the engine ready I was also getting all the parts ready to assemble the front suspension.

TeamZ LSX swap k-member kit, 12/175 coil over springs, Strange adjustable struts, MM bumpsteer kit, flaming river quick ratio manual rack, new hubs with extended studs, got the spindles drilled for the bumpsteer kit and painted them.

-

Picked up a low mile 5.3 LM7(basically a slightly smaller LS1 but iron block) and began the Disassembly of everything. Plans for the engine are custom cam, ported 243 heads, ls6 intake, and atleast a 150 shot of nitrous with a th400 with a stall, trans brake, and RMVB. Currently the engine is down to a short block getting cleaned/ prepped for paint. While this is being done I'm also removing all the A/c and hydroboost stuff so I can clean the engine bay and start tucking the body harness.

-

-

-

more updates soon!

[ 2016-02-07, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: coupe5oh ]

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

19mystic96
¯
Member # 7553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19mystic96  Ford pictures for 19mystic96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
great build! looking forward to the progress. you're going to upset a lot of people here, but I'm sure you know that already.

PM me if you have any questions. Ive done one before.

--------------------
1996 Mystic cobra #32

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 19mystic96:
great build! looking forward to the progress. you're going to upset a lot of people here, but I'm sure you know that already.

Thanks! You have a swapped mystic right? Lx James sent me a pic of your car when I first started..

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Badass setup she should haul ass no doubt..6spd would make the car even sweeter [burnout]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
19mystic96
¯
Member # 7553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19mystic96  Ford pictures for 19mystic96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by coupe5oh:
quote:

Thanks! You have a swapped mystic right? Lx James sent me a pic of your car when I first started..
yea, thats me. lol

you'll love the end result!

what trans are you installing? any mods to the motor?

[ 2015-07-08, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: 19mystic96 ]

--------------------
1996 Mystic cobra #32

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by coupe5oh:
quote:

yea, thats me. lol

you'll love the end result!

what trans are you installing? any mods to the motor?

It's up there in first post but I'm doing ported 243s, custom cam, ls6 intake, and a 150 shot..gonna use a th400 with a stall,trans brake, and RMVB

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
91' Notch

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice! Great build.... May I ask.. why a 327? If I was going to do a 327. I would probably go the turbo route. Make sure the internals will rev to 9k-10k. Like an old school 327. What is your long term goal(s)?
Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
92 LS Coupe
¯
Member # 13890

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92 LS Coupe  Ford pictures for 92 LS Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice setup what are you hoping to put out as far as HP & FT LB of torque? I have a 2015 GMC Sierra with a 5.3

--------------------
1992 Notchback coyote swap
1992 Notchback
1966 Mustang Coupe

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

quote:
Originally posted by 92 LS Coupe:
Nice setup what are you hoping to put out as far as HP & FT LB of torque? I have a 2015 GMC Sierra with a 5.3

atleast 400 on motor + at least a 150 shot

quote:
Originally posted by 75 chevy:
Nice! Great build.... May I ask.. why a 327? If I was going to do a 327. I would probably go the turbo route. Make sure the internals will rev to 9k-10k. Like an old school 327. What is your long term goal(s)?

Went with the 5.3 cause the iron block will handle all the nitrous im gonna throw at it longer than a aluminum LS1 will.. it only makes 5-10 HP less than a stock LS1 but it weighs about 60# more. But, once I blow this up im gonna stroke a 6.0 LQ9 and throw a turbo on it.

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chuck Norris does NOT approve this swap!! Haha jk.. nice project bro.. cant wait to see the end result! Definitely gonna be something different.. [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Say wat?
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not to be negative. But. Your 400hp on motor will not happen with the combo you said.maybe 330 especially going threw a turbo 400

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
BTLD GT
¯
Member # 5229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BTLD GT  Ford pictures for BTLD GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NvrGoFullRetard:
Not to be negative. But. Your 400hp on motor will not happen with the combo you said.maybe 330 especially going threw a turbo 400

is this from personal experience or hear say. i personally know of a stock long block lm7 with cam lt's and intake that makes 380 rwhp through a 4500 stall turbo 400. so 400 is a possibility with ported heads. just my .02 cents

Daniel

--------------------
2000 Cobra R

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking forward to seeing this swap [patriot]

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:

Say wat?
Isn't the 5.3 a 323 not a 327?

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a 325cid. And they came with 295 fly wheel hp.so your talking 250 maybe to the wheels. Then you add stock ported heads, custom cam and longtubes and cai. Im gonna guess 330 to 350 rwhp and your going thru a turbo 400 instead of a 4l60e that will rob u less hp.
Im defiantly not being a hater. If you can do it let me in on the secret. Keep us updated

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He said 400hp, but not 400 wheel horse. Not sure if that's what he meant or not. I made roughly 320whp on a 5.3 with an off the shelf 224 cam, LS6 intake, stock 5.3 heads, and long tubes through a 4L60E. If he goes more aggressive on the cam with ported heads I'd assume 350-370whp is doable.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as it is not a honda build, I am excited to see how it turns out Pete. I'm still powdercoating, just to let you know.

Good luck with the build. Keep posting pics and progression.

Charles [patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bout god dam time lol, good on you, heh im also in full effect for the mm stuff now