Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Is college worth it?? (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Is college worth it??
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BLK35th:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
As I read through this post, I can notice a difference in typing/speaking styles between those who went to college, and those who did not/are against it [Wink]

We have an image to uphold man, haha. Our point will be over-looked if we type all "ghetto", lol.
Exactly, lol. That's like a sales man trying to sell a car saying "You want it or not bro" lol.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went to collge when i finsh high school an i was bored off my ass when i had to seat in class for more then a hour.so went in to the automotive feild an have made real good money an make a 100k plus a year an only work 35 to 40 hours an thats punch on the clock time.but probley do 25 to 30 hours off work but flag anywhere from 60 to 120 hours a week.

an one then i can tell after working for over 20 years following the money around thinking the next please will be better its not always the case some times the are worse then the old place you left

slow4v
¯
Member # 9403

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slow4v  Ford pictures for slow4v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SETONKILL:
i went to collge when i finsh high school an i was bored off my ass when i had to seat in class for more then a hour.so went in to the automotive feild an have made real good money an make a 100k plus a year an only work 35 to 40 hours an thats punch on the clock time.but probley do 25 to 30 hours off work but flag anywhere from 60 to 120 hours a week.

an one then i can tell after working for over 20 years following the money around thinking the next please will be better its not always the case some times the are worse then the old place you left

Lol.. What? [worship] [worship]
thrashed
¯
Member # 9752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for thrashed  Ford pictures for thrashed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slow2v:
quote:

LOL! What x2?

College (and actually completing it) can open up a lot of opportunities and generally increases the capacity to make more money over your lifetime, but it's not always the right fit for everyone. Figuring out what you like to do (long term) and what makes you happy is also important. If college fits in those plans, go for it.

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For those who said they hated high school and can't do college. I hated high school so much, I went to home school in the middle of the sophomore year just so I didn't have to go and missed so much school during freshmen year, I pretty much had to redo it. College is a whole different experience I can't discribe. I learned more in my first semester of college than I did in my whole high school years. I got to work around a half million dollars worth of automotive machining equipment. I highly recommend those who are into automotives to try out automotive technology in college. I look forward to school after work now.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by thrashed:
quote:
Originally posted by slow2v:
quote:

LOL! What x2?

College (and actually completing it) can open up a lot of opportunities and generally increases the capacity to make more money over your lifetime, but it's not always the right fit for everyone. Figuring out what you like to do (long term) and what makes you happy is also important. If college fits in those plans, go for it.

OP did nothing but solidify the importance of a college education.LOL

--------------------
hahahahaha

Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Really for me it comes down to what's more cost affective.
If you really want to see if a degree is worth the money.
A few things to consider:

1. How many many years is it going to take to finish school & what is it you want to major in?
2. What is your " realistic " projected salary with your degree?
3. Can you afford / pay your bills working part time, while your going to school?
4. Is there a high demand for the job you wish to obtain after receiving your degree?
5. How many years after recieving your degree is it going to take you to pay off all of your debt/student loans?( No matter what happens, you still have to pay back the money you spent on school. )

Lastly
Do you know for a fact that this job is something you want to do your whole working life? Most people change jobs more often then they use to..... So is this degree going help you if you decide to change careers later in life? Also do you know anyone who currently is in the field your looking to get into? You might change your mind after talking to seasoned workers in that field.

I hope this info helps anyone who is seriously thinking about going back to school or just getting out of High School.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yay! My post became a sticky...

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is not what you know, it is who you know.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
if school aint for you, maybe u should consider a job in law enforcement or fire dept. many of these guys start at 80k and after a few years hit 120k+ and have healthy pensions.

if you're curious as to how much some ppl make, you can search mercury news for 2011 public workers salary to get an idea. folks at muni and bart as operators that make your decent $30/hr rake in as much as their base salary just by working so much overtime.
in comparison, your seasoned professional engineer working for the city pulls in 150k+ base. do tha research brah

That's changing somewhat with law enforcement. At many agencies, a Bachelor Degree or Associate's Degree is preferred. Some officers have a Master's or Law Degree, although usually in the upper ranks. One of the most important functions of police work is the ability to write a clear, concise, and accurate report. Although it is not always the case, people with higher education tend to write better than those with just a diploma or GED.

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Coming from someone who has been doing recruiting for almost 6 years for both non-technical and technical positions at agencies, start-ups, google, etc,...get a degree. Even if you get a low G.P.A., the fact that you have a degree will open up more windows of opportunity. The fact that one has a degree shows a certain amount of discipline to achieve it.

It took me 5+ years to get mine, as I was working 55-60 hours a week while going to school, but it was well worth it.

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
college FTW. [Wink]

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

Carless
¯
Member # 9119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carless  Ford pictures for Carless  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
If you want to make 100k+ a year working for a company. Yes you will most likely need a degree.

You also can make 100k+ a year by being your own boss & owning yours small business. But it better be something you love to do & can make money doing. [patriot]

There are a lot of people who didn't go to college and have made a good life for themselves. It comes down to a little luck & motivation to better your life.

Thats not true, My brother didnt even graduate High School hes 23 and hes a Sales Manager at a dealership, making over 140k a year.

Im in the car business also and I only completed l.5 years of college. Im making about 90k a year. In another 6 months to a year Im expecting a management position and ill be up there with him making about the same.

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck College. It was cool when C.C was $8 a unit, but when the Terminator got elected- it tripled over night. 4 units per class u do the math. Full time student takes 3 classes.

I do air conditioning...

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The answer is yes and no. Figure out what you want to do career wise and you'll know if college is right for you or not. You have to have some kind of goal to shoot for in life or else you're just aimlessly moving forward with no direction. Once you figure out what you want to do, master it and put 110% into it. The money will come if you're great at what you're doing.

What you need to worry about is when you're in your 50s and companies start spitting you out and bringing in your grads to take over your position [Wink] . Plan wisely and think smart.

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:

I do air conditioning...

is there good money to be made in that feild
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Carless:
quote:
If you want to make 100k+ a year working for a company. Yes you will most likely need a degree.

You also can make 100k+ a year by being your own boss & owning yours small business. But it better be something you love to do & can make money doing. [patriot]

There are a lot of people who didn't go to college and have made a good life for themselves. It comes down to a little luck & motivation to better your life.

Thats not true, My brother didnt even graduate High School hes 23 and hes a Sales Manager at a dealership, making over 140k a year.

Im in the car business also and I only completed l.5 years of college. Im making about 90k a year. In another 6 months to a year Im expecting a management position and ill be up there with him making about the same.

I don't know what dealership you work for, must be a high end one to make that much. I usually eat lunch where all the big name car salesmen eat at. They most def don't make anything near that....

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
before i die, i will complete my high school degree and get my ass in some college classes. yep i got this far with none. but only so far can one get unless your just freaking blessed.
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
College and dorm life is an experience that is worthwhile.

I personally feel to mature for college and dorm life. I am exactly at my halfway point in getting a bachelors in finance and I hate school.
Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoWN FR500  Ford pictures for BLoWN FR500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SO ARE YOU COLLECTING VOTES ON TO GO TO SCHOOL OR NOT? I DONT GET THIS THREAD! OF COURSE COLLEGE IS WORTH IT! IS 100K A YEAR WORTH IT TO YOU.....OR NO? GET YOUR DEGREE, A NEW JOB & CALL IT A DAY [patriot]

--------------------
92 Fobra Supercharged - Stolen
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

I Stay Charged Like The Energizer Bunny

Posts: 1226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess it boils down to how smart you really are about making money. A degree can help you get smarter which isnt the worst thing for some of the dummies out there.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by BLoWN FR500:
SO ARE YOU COLLECTING VOTES ON TO GO TO SCHOOL OR NOT? I DONT GET THIS THREAD! OF COURSE COLLEGE IS WORTH IT! IS 100K A YEAR WORTH IT TO YOU.....OR NO? GET YOUR DEGREE, A NEW JOB & CALL IT A DAY [patriot]

No I'm not collecting votes to go or not.. I'm already in college bud.. Just wanted to get people's opinions and have something to read while I'm bored at work...

--------------------

Carless
¯
Member # 9119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carless  Ford pictures for Carless  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
quote:
quote:

I don't know what dealership you work for, must be a high end one to make that much. I usually eat lunch where all the big name car salesmen eat at. They most def don't make anything near that....
Lol I work at a Toyota Dealership. Were a volume store, Your pay-plan is based on the units you sell. The more you sell, the more you make.

Garuntee if you sell more than 25 cars a month, you'll be making over 12k.

My brother is a sales manager, he makes about 10-12k a month. Granted some months are better than others. Im not saying college is no good, Im just saying there are oppurtunties to make 100k plus without going to school.

Obviously Im not saying dont go to college, Because I am planning on going back to get a business/marketing degree. Were planning on starting a business of our own and You cant expect to Own and operate a business by just "winging it".

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
quote:
quote:

Lol I work at a Toyota Dealership. Were a volume store, Your pay-plan is based on the units you sell. The more you sell, the more you make.

Garuntee if you sell more than 25 cars a month, you'll be making over 12k.

My brother is a sales manager, he makes about 10-12k a month. Granted some months are better than others. Im not saying college is no good, Im just saying there are oppurtunties to make 100k plus without going to school.

Obviously Im not saying dont go to college, Because I am planning on going back to get a business/marketing degree. Were planning on starting a business of our own and You cant expect to Own and operate a business by just "winging it".

Most sales or numbers driven jobs pay well over 100k depending on the person. These people don't give a shit how much they make an hour, just the amount of their overall checks. 5 digits a check means you're doing something right....

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One of the more important things about college isn't the education or degree... it's the people you meet.

That's why going to a good school is imperative... pledging a frat at a good school will make you connections that will benefit you for life. You'll meet guys who come from money, who will go on to run big family businesses. People who will go in to politics. People who will start their own businesses. People who will go into the regulatory field. You never really know how these connections could benefit you someday...

It's not what you know. It's who you know. You can go to a community college or state university... keep to yourself and get your degree... have a lot of references and experience... and someone could still get hired over you because of the good'ol boy network... because the head of hiring and the other applicant might be alumni of such and such frat.

Or you could start your own business... and some government regulation that effects your business could need to be enforced, and the enforcement official could know the owner of similar business to yours... guess who is going to get the short end of the stick? With my girl working at CARB, I know exactly how often this sort of thing happens. One business needs the competition to get taken down a peg, calls in a favor from a friend, and gets the opposing business a $1,000,000 fine.

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com