Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Dang it, being black strikes again (sorry long) (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dang it, being black strikes again (sorry long)
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We havent had a race topic in a bit so I am gonna share what happened to me at lunch today.

So my business partner (Scott) and I are on a assignment with the same contract this time. We get paid net30 so today we received one month worth of checks from our contract. So Scott decides to cash all his now versus waiting until the weekend. So I run him over to Wachovia (the bank which the checks are drawn on). He runs in there and cashes his roughly 10k worth of checks. All is fine and dandy. I sit out in the car and wait looking through the window as he does his thing. So later I decide I wanna go do mine versus waiting as well. So I shoot up to the same bank with my 10k worth of checks. Get greeted, cool. Present my checks and 2 forms of ID's (same as Scott). Except this time, the teller leaves to go to the back. I am not tripping and proceed to have a convo with an old lady next to me. Young man comes back and says "I need to have my manager approve this as this is over my limit and could get fired if I cash these". I am like "cool", he just did Scott's checks so I am thinking maybe he means cumulative balance for the day. I wait. Finally I get the assistant who goes on to tell me that without starting a bank account they cannot cash these checks and that the Manager is on his way in. I am like "why, the gentleman said he could but it was above high allowable limit"? Then she tells me, well the amounts seem strange and then asks me what do I do to make so much money. Ok I am officially offended but keep my cool, I politely say "that is really of no concern to you or this bank, would you like to call and verify funds?" She goes off into some jargon about bank policy and all this other jazz. So I say "I tell you what I would like to wait for the branch manager". Meanwhile I sneak off and call Scott and ask him to come up here. So as if they rode together Scott comes in and sits down over to the side and observes. Branch manager comes in and the assistant manager tries to whisk him away to the back before I can get to him. I interrupt and tell him what is going on and that I would like to talk to him. I can see where his thought process and conversation is going so I tell him, "before you get to reciting your rules and regulations let me introduce you to my business partner Scott, Scott here seems to not have had the issues I am having and I was wondering if he could shed some light on what he did to cash his checks without so much of a hiccup in sight". Man it was classic, the looks on their faces was worth its weight in gold. After Scott gives his spill, shows his money and receipts, points out that the same dude who helped him helped me, I go onto to list out some demands. Exactly like this:

A. I want my check cashed by this gentleman whom said he would get fired if he did it.

B. I would like him fired for cashing my check which he is going to break the rules doing.

C. I would like to hear the explanation for this treatment and blatant lies that were fed to me, from the both managers.

D. I would also like each of your business cards so I can go ahead on and file a complaint.

E. I would like a "thank you" from you (branch manager) as I saved you from putting your foot in your mouth.

After my speech one lady applauded and said she was going to close her account there. Mean while I kept my cool, talked to them very determined but not disrespectful.

Mind you Scott is white and we were both dressed in our finest business casual attire and both had our work badges displayed, both checks were roughly the same amount, only difference is he is a white dude.

It is a shame that people are still like this and being treated this way. But I am hella proud of the way I handled it. It was so funny to verbally lay a smack down on some racist bastards. And just have them utterly lost for words.

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm on your side this time..... The only thing that could explain it would be they thought it was odd two people came in and tried to cash to big checks? Maybe they thought it was a scam... But I see why you feel the way you do. It sucks if it was a race thing [Frown]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was treated the same way with a $5K check that was a B of A check. I went to b of a to cash it and they said they wouldn't do it unless I open an account with them. I said, 'its your check why should I have to open an account' he started talking to me like a retard so I just told him to fuck himself. Went to my bank and they cashed it.

Since I was in a hurry at the time I didn't bother hanging around the bank to argue with some cock sucker that makes half the money I do.

Bottom line...Banks suck. Credit unions have always treated me like gold.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slowback67:
I'm on your side this time..... The only thing that could explain it would be they thought it was odd two people came in and tried to cash to big checks? Maybe they thought it was a scam... But I see why you feel the way you do. It sucks if it was a race thing [Frown]

Which I could have respected and is what I thought was going to be said. But they went off on some other stuff. Had they said something feasible I would have just left. It was not an ideal use of our time to sit here and do this..

Yea Jdub, I am with a credit union too, and they treat a brotha like a king. But by the time I get home they are closed. And I hate putting large amounts through the teller machine.

[ August 25, 2009, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't be so fn sensitive. You just happened to be the second person with the same 10 thousand dollars worth of checks from the same company. Of course the bankers are going to start flipping out, they just handed your buddy 10K of cash. If you would have came in on a different day, you would have probably been in and out just like your cracker friend. But nooo, you have to pull the race card when there is no proof that they were scrutinizing your transaction based on race. Did you hear them drop the N bomb? They dropped the "what the fuck is this guy doing cashing checks in this amount from the same company that dude before cashed with no bank account here bomb". Bank's are a bunch of bitches that equally treat any non customer like a bitch whenever they want.
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bravo ol chap. Handled it like an adult and kept your cool. Only thing I can see is if they thought it was suspicious since ur homie cashed his first. But they could have just made a call 2 verify the funds. Honestly I would go back 2 that bank and try 2 get the same teller everytime u go 2 cash business checks from that bank

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Working in the banking business as a teller and service officer for over 8 years, I can try to shed some light. You have to be cautious at times with non customers. Being that you and your partner came in practically at the same time and cashed out $20k in cash checks are red flags. Not only that you mentioned you were right at $10k limit, another red flag (CTR - Currency Transaction Report limit is $10,000.01). Certain banks for examaple have non customer limits. I can't speak for Wachovia because I never worked there. There are a lot of variables also depending on the type of bussiness account too. Just from hearing your short story and not knowing the full details, I would of approached it cautiously and brought a supervisor in too to review the transaction. It could have been two white guys that came in or In your case a white and a black guy or two Hungarians. That was a lot of money going out very quickly for non customers. She should have called to verify funds if it was over the non customer amount. At Citibank we had an amount that needed to be verified by phone by the account holder and signature must match account holders exactly.

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
Bravo ol chap. Handled it like an adult and kept your cool. Only thing I can see is if they thought it was suspicious since ur homie cashed his first. But they could have just made a call 2 verify the funds. Honestly I would go back 2 that bank and try 2 get the same teller everytime u go 2 cash business checks from that bank

Yater, I feel ya, and believe me had they said that. WI would have either A. gave them the check to validate funds or B Just left. Probably B because I was on the clock. But by not putting people like this on the spot, I am essentially enabling this treatment to continue. Bring people like this to light and you can essentially do your part to stop the treatment. At one point I was just getting a kick out of them squirming and being uncomfortable. Then when the lady applauded all my actions were justified. Not to mention they cashed my check... [Smile]
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yaterstang:
Don't be so fn sensitive. You just happened to be the second person with the same 10 thousand dollars worth of checks from the same company. Of course the bankers are going to start flipping out, they just handed your buddy 10K of cash. If you would have came in on a different day, you would have probably been in and out just like your cracker friend. But nooo, you have to pull the race card when there is no proof that they were scrutinizing your transaction based on race. Did you hear them drop the N bomb? They dropped the "what the fuck is this guy doing cashing checks in this amount from the same company that dude before cashed with no bank account here bomb". Bank's are a bunch of bitches that equally treat any non customer like a bitch whenever they want.

While I was replying at the time there were no replies yet to this post. But it's true when Non customers come In and take large amounts, they're red flags. They have no recourse if they end up being fradulent checks, once your out the bank it's gone. They wanted you to open accounts because policy is different to actual account holders of the actual bank. It also provides them a idetification process besides showing ID. Most banks are going to treat you better if your their customer, there supposed too.

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by Venomized93:
quote:

While I was replying at the time there were no replies yet to this post. But it's true when Non customers come In and take large amounts, they're red flags. They have no recourse if they end up being fradulent checks, once your out the bank it's gone. They wanted you to open accounts because policy is different to actual account holders of the actual bank. It also provides them a idetification process besides showing ID. Most banks are going to treat you better if your their customer, there supposed too.
Agreed, and I understand that. And like I said had it not been for the treatment and mitigating circumstances I would have not had a issue either way. I hate the race card. I do not like being treated any differently because of my race, whether good or bad.
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N8, if I were in your position, I would likely be upset, but I'm not surprised that this happened, and it may have nothing to do with race...

A gentleman walks in and cashes a check for $10K. 5 minutes later another gentleman walks in and tries to cash another $10K check. I personally would expect the bank to be suspicious and attempt to cover their bases regardless if the 2nd person is black, white, green, or purple.

Cashing checks in that amount is suspicious to Bank's in general. Transfering is more acceptable obviously, but I realize you'd have to wait ~3-5 business days to deposit one bank's check to another bank before it cleared.

If Scott walked in 2nd, I would bet that he would go through the same hassle.

To bring this home a bit, my family owns a business in SF. They have counterfeit stories a mile long with people trying to scam them. Most common is paying with fake $100 bills when buying something that costs a few bucks. The change is obviously real. Fake checks, fake credit card numbers. You gotta be careful to minimize the chances of being burned.

Sorry you had to go through it man.

For what its worth, I am white, and I have been treated like dog shit by Wells Fargo (mostly on the home mortgage side of things). Lied to my face, ignored, etc.

[ August 25, 2009, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Yea, Like I said all the above I can accpet. But the treatment, lies and suspicious behavior does not cover the obvious well for them. I was not threatening, but when I challenged their ideaology they were back peddling and stumbling like a crawdad.
Saleen9675
¯
Member # 9207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen9675  Ford pictures for Saleen9675    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats sucks, well at least they cashed your check.
I don't think the guy was lying about getting fired. My cousin just got fired from BOA becuase he cashed a check for a customer for 5gs and he didn't check to see if there was funds. I think the guy didn't get fired becuase his Manager came in to play.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That was nicely executed N8. Next time you need to end the conversation like this: "You know, I'm just glad there's someone, such as me, that can put up with people like yourselves".

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SPIDER_STANG
¯
Member # 8658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPIDER_STANG  Ford pictures for SPIDER_STANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I dont think you got N8 point!! If it was a red flag issue all they had to do is verify the funds & it would of been ok. He's not upset it could of put up a red flag!! Its the point of trying to get him not to cash the checks their!! They could of just kept all that bull shit to themselves & called & got the checks verified & what ever else they needed to do, Then just give him his cash & say have a good day!! They tried to feed him a bunch of bull that made the whole Race card seem real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
02 GT Conv Sold
92 LX coup Sold
94 Gt Conv
Spurs, Saints, Dodgers! We win baby!!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:

The key is right there..............................

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Next time you need checks cashed, just give them to me I will cash it for you.lol.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
We havent had a race topic in a bit so I am gonna share what happened to me at lunch today.

So my business partner (Scott) and I are on a assignment with the same contract this time. We get paid net30 so today we received one month worth of checks from our contract. So Scott decides to cash all his now versus waiting until the weekend. So I run him over to Wachovia (the bank which the checks are drawn on). He runs in there and cashes his roughly 10k worth of checks. All is fine and dandy. I sit out in the car and wait looking through the window as he does his thing. So later I decide I wanna go do mine versus waiting as well. So I shoot up to the same bank with my 10k worth of checks. Get greeted, cool. Present my checks and 2 forms of ID's (same as Scott). Except this time, the teller leaves to go to the back. I am not tripping and proceed to have a convo with an old lady next to me. Young man comes back and says "I need to have my manager approve this as this is over my limit and could get fired if I cash these". I am like "cool", he just did Scott's checks so I am thinking maybe he means cumulative balance for the day. I wait. Finally I get the assistant who goes on to tell me that without starting a bank account they cannot cash these checks and that the Manager is on his way in. I am like "why, the gentleman said he could but it was above high allowable limit"? Then she tells me, well the amounts seem strange and then asks me what do I do to make so much money. Ok I am officially offended but keep my cool, I politely say "that is really of no concern to you or this bank, would you like to call and verify funds?" She goes off into some jargon about bank policy and all this other jazz. So I say "I tell you what I would like to wait for the branch manager". Meanwhile I sneak off and call Scott and ask him to come up here. So as if they rode together Scott comes in and sits down over to the side and observes. Branch manager comes in and the assistant manager tries to whisk him away to the back before I can get to him. I interrupt and tell him what is going on and that I would like to talk to him. I can see where his thought process and conversation is going so I tell him, "before you get to reciting your rules and regulations let me introduce you to my business partner Scott, Scott here seems to not have had the issues I am having and I was wondering if he could shed some light on what he did to cash his checks without so much of a hiccup in sight". Man it was classic, the looks on their faces was worth its weight in gold. After Scott gives his spill, shows his money and receipts, points out that the same dude who helped him helped me, I go onto to list out some demands. Exactly like this:

A. I want my check cashed by this gentleman whom said he would get fired if he did it.

B. I would like him fired for cashing my check which he is going to break the rules doing.

C. I would like to hear the explanation for this treatment and blatant lies that were fed to me, from the both managers.

D. I would also like each of your business cards so I can go ahead on and file a complaint.

E. I would like a "thank you" from you (branch manager) as I saved you from putting your foot in your mouth.

After my speech one lady applauded and said she was going to close her account there. Mean while I kept my cool, talked to them very determined but not disrespectful.

Mind you Scott is white and we were both dressed in our finest business casual attire and both had our work badges displayed, both checks were roughly the same amount, only difference is he is a white dude.

It is a shame that people are still like this and being treated this way. But I am hella proud of the way I handled it. It was so funny to verbally lay a smack down on some racist bastards. And just have them utterly lost for words.

I would give you props for handling it like that nate, leaving em speechless with no comeback is the only way!

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd be pissed if they did that to me and anyone who says N8 trippin' hasn't had a taste of this kind of treatment it could be a a coincidence that they cashed hos buddies check no problem and gave N8 the run around but I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time some thing like this has happened to him and I'm sure it wont be the last something similar happened to my dad when he tried to even DEPOSIT like 25K at once he walked in looking like a straight paisa(hella mexican) too hahahaha

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by SPIDER_STANG:
quote:

I dont think you got N8 point!! If it was a red flag issue all they had to do is verify the funds & it would of been ok. He's not upset it could of put up a red flag!! Its the point of trying to get him not to cash the checks their!! They could of just kept all that bull shit to themselves & called & got the checks verified & what ever else they needed to do, Then just give him his cash & say have a good day!! They tried to feed him a bunch of bull that made the whole Race card seem real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bingo!
NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:

+2

not to say that this isn't having to do with race, because i wasn't there and i can't say what was going through their heads. but coming from a cashiers perspective, I would be VERY suspicious of two people coming in to cash 10k in checks like that on the same day within hours apart, coming from the same account/payer no matter what race/gender/age they were.

[ August 25, 2009, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: NiftyWhiteFifty ]

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by NiftyWhiteFifty:
quote:
quote:

+2

not to say that this isn't having to do with race, because i wasn't there and i can't say what was going through their heads. but coming from a cashiers perspective, I would be VERY suspicious of two people coming in to cash 10k in checks like that on the same day within hours apart, coming from the same account/payer no matter what race/gender/age they were.

Yup but you do what is there for you to validate the check (not to mention they could not point to the rules they cited). You just dont pop off with some random BS. Checks were drawn from them and their branch in particular. Should have been very easy to verify.
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know N8, you could try the Micheal Jackson approach and paint yourself white [Eek!]
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Originally posted by NiftyWhiteFifty:
quote:
quote:

+2

Yup but you do what is there for you to validate the check (not to mention they could not point to the rules they cited). You just dont pop off with some random BS. Checks were drawn from them and their branch in particular. Should have been very easy to verify.
ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT, it was suspicious.... I bet the cashier was thinking about the first transaction every second after your friend left. Then the second person, you, comes in with the similar thing and he was like, "Oh shit, I'm going to lose my job/or am being scammed for sure!"

Could it have been verified easily, maybe... Regardless, the flag went up and they got scared, plain n simple in my opinion.... They got scared and went away from the easiest route, but they got scared.... Put the card away....

I bet it'd been the same way if your friend came in second in your spot....

[ August 25, 2009, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT, it was suspicious.... I bet the cashier was thinking about the first transaction every second after your friend left. Then the second person, you, comes in with the similar thing and he was like, "Oh shit, I'm going to lose my job/or am being scammed for sure!"

Could it have been verified easily, maybe... Regardless, the flag went up and they got scared, plain n simple in my opinion.... They got scared and went away from the easiest route, but they got scared.... Put the card away....

I bet it'd been the same way if your friend came in second in your spot....

I agree. Whenever a red flag like that gets put up, it sometimes leaves the cashier, even managers fumbling as they try to get everything sorted out, while also trying not to upset the customer. as they have no way of knowing how they will react.

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com