Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Best Medium sized dog???? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best Medium sized dog????
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking to get a family dog in the next few months and I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good dog to get.

I want a medium sized dog that doesn't shed a lot of hair (if any at all!). Im hoping for something around 60 lbs or less at full size and one that is kid-friendly...NO PITBULLS! I REALLY want a boxer, but I'm still thinking that they are slightly too large.

Any suggestions???

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive got an american bulldog shes about 80 lbs but short and super friendly and a great dog

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
poodle is the only thing that wont really shed.

Id say go with a boarder collie if you have a big yard. it is the smartest dog breed in the world and protective of their family. but you have to make sure you socialize the dog with lots of people and get it used to water.

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Labs are probably the best with kids. Very fun loving dogs, quick on their feet, friendly, and low maintenance.
AbominableSnoman...
¯
Member # 8290

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AbominableSnoman...  Ford pictures for AbominableSnoman...    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
staffordshire terrier! these are sick!!
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=staffordshire%20bull%20terrier&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

my co worker and neighbor got one... looks like miniature pits, but friendly a$$ dogs!

--------------------
"I aint no crip, but i bleed blue..."

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a jindo she's about 48lbs, great with kids and other dogs. Only downside is she does shed and she's real smart.

boxers are good dogs all of he ones I've been around have been great dogs.

jack rusel's are small and full of energy to.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a Lab. One of the best breeds out there!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

TY: arent's american bulldogs pretty much like pitbulls? They look like nice dogs but 80 lbs. is a bit too big.

SheerSilver03: NOt really diggin the poodle [Big Grin] Also, we're living in a condo (has a balcony) so a border collie is out of he question...plus they have long hair and I really want one with short hair.

Essassin: Yea, labs are definitely the best dogs for kids. My biddy has a yellow lab and he's a really nice dog, but damn he's big. Looks like he's about 90 lbs or so...bit too large

Mitch: Staffordshires are in the "pitbull" family...not coll with a 2 yr old running around

Slowback: Whats a Jindo? I'm goign to have to google that one.

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
boxers arent that big. Great dogs my brother has one and she can be a pain in the ass at time but she is really friendly and good

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a lab, he's too damn hyper, next dog is defenitely gonna be a female blue nose pit I think, I want something very loyal and not as high strung.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
87 White T
¯
Member # 9098

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 White T  Ford pictures for 87 White T  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know you said no pits but I havea Pit/Boxer mix, he's a great dog, he loves to play an lick ya to death

--------------------
Yellow/Black S197 (Sold)
White 87 T-Top

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by QuadKing7o7:
I know you said no pits but I havea Pit/Boxer mix, he's a great dog, he loves to play an lick ya to death

Yea, my boy used to have a pit/boxer mix and she was really nice. She looked exactly like a pure boxer but short and stocky like pits...I want something like that.

What does your's look like?

--------------------

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
90lbs! They are feeding that dog protein shakes! They are usually in the 60lb range.
87 White T
¯
Member # 9098

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 White T  Ford pictures for 87 White T  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hes jus like hers, short an muscular, hes mainly black with some white an very little brown patches

--------------------
Yellow/Black S197 (Sold)
White 87 T-Top

94 N.C.F GT
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 8722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 N.C.F GT  Ford pictures for 94 N.C.F GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mini Chinese shar pei. I have have a girl she's fully grown and wrinkly and playful doesn't shed a lot she's about 30 Pounds expensive and funny looking dog. If you do decide to get one make sure there mini and not the full size [Big Grin]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX:(D D) ORANGE coupe
94GT:(427) Its a BEAST on the streets but in the garage it stays ASLEEP. N/A

Posts: 1313 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a little puppy its a beagle mix?? really cute and friendly with my boys (twin 18 month old)

I also just got a doberman Pinscher (ya maybe a little bigger) than what you want but man this dog is amazing and friendly specially to my boys!

good luck

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 427 StRoKeR 94 GT:
Mini Chinese shar pei. I have have a girl she's fully grown and wrinkly and playful doesn't shed a lot she's about 30 Pounds expensive and funny looking dog. If you do decide to get one make sure there mini and not the full size [Big Grin]

Damn, MINI sharpei??? I never knew they existed. How much did you get your's for? What kind of temperment do they have? How tall do they get?

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I got a full size shar pei / Great Dane mix .... She looks like scooby doo

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
american bulldogs are actually nothing like a pit bull at all. the only thing similar is they have a big hard head...theyre really big sweethearts and super friendly i take mine to the dog park all the time and she gets along with every one and everything....not one complaint about her at all
 -

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
69 fastback project car

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a beagle and she weighs about 35 lbs... they are cool dogs other than taking them for walks... howls the whole time... people are more scared of my 35 lb beagle then my 85 lb pit...lol..

-
 -
 -

[ July 16, 2009, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
94 N.C.F GT
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 8722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 N.C.F GT  Ford pictures for 94 N.C.F GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My first one I spent 1300 From texas she was hella cute and wrinkly and small loved to play and cuddle but my dad came to visit and ran her over in the drive way my second one came from florida 1500 A lil bigger and less wrinkles but playful there pretty short. Look them up I think there's a web site called house of ruffles

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX:(D D) ORANGE coupe
94GT:(427) Its a BEAST on the streets but in the garage it stays ASLEEP. N/A

Posts: 1313 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
my dad came to visit and ran her over in the drive way

[Eek!] wow, sorry to hear that [Frown] Thats kind of costly, but I'm definitley going to research them a little...they look cool [Big Grin]

Ty, that american bulldog looks like a white boxer...I'll look into those too. How much does your's weigh??

--------------------

Monte
¯
Member # 7536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte  Ford pictures for Monte    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 5lb yorkie. He's great with kids and is smart a$$ hell.

My neighbor on the other hand has a mini bull mastiff, sick!!! i asked him about it and who he got it from has been breeding a pug and mastiff for 4 years to finally get the dog to a certain look/size.

Posts: 606 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
my dad came to visit and ran her over in the drive way

[Eek!] wow, sorry to hear that [Frown] Thats kind of costly, but I'm definitley going to research them a little...they look cool [Big Grin]

Ty, that american bulldog looks like a white boxer...I'll look into those too. How much does your's weigh??

shes about 80lbs now and shes a lil bit spoiled and put some weight on after we got her fixed...if you get one get a female theyre much smaller than the males..they are part of the mastiff family so the boys get a lil bit large

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
69 fastback project car

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Rookie07gt:
I have a 5lb yorkie. He's great with kids and is smart a$$ hell.

My neighbor on the other hand has a mini bull mastiff, sick!!! i asked him about it and who he got it from has been breeding a pug and mastiff for 4 years to finally get the dog to a certain look/size.

Mini bull mastiff???? Now that I want to see! Do you think you can get some details on the breeder? How big is his mini bull mastif?

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com