Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Who here does Autocross?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Who here does Autocross?
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just curious about who autocrosses here. My boss and I want to give this a try sometime and possibly take the race car out. My buddy over at Maier Racing told me that they just held an event in Monterey but is unsure as to when the next events will be held. Curious as to what other events will be taking place in the near future. Thanks.

Nick

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nick, auto crossing is weak bro! 1minute runs and you have to work the course for a session [Roll Eyes] It is cheap and a quick thrill (I guess), but I'd run on a real race track if I were you! [burnout]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Nick, auto crossing is weak bro! 1minute runs and you have to work the course for a session [Roll Eyes] It is cheap and a quick thrill (I guess), but I'd run on a real race track if I were you! [burnout]

What Ian said. If your going to spend a day at a event you might as well be at the track where you can actually learn to drive from an experienced instuctor,instead of going around some cones in a dirty & usually covered in rocks & pebbles all over the place.

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey nick ......yeah autocross is a sucky sport but it is challenging as well I enjoy it .I just posted a vid of my car get in contact with me so you can check it out there's a lot of great drivers out there that can give you direction guys that are national champions like Mike Maier and Scott Frazier

[ October 03, 2012, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: 331SVO ]

Posts: 226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian and jay.. I know I wish I had the funds to afford open track. My boss is interested in trying autox so that's why I'm looking into it. We would be bringing out the shop race car if anything.

Fidel, my buddy justin is always out there.. he's the guy at Maier that installed your K-member. He's tellin me to come out and give it a shot. When is the next good event? I think justin just told me like scca is holding an event at golden gate fields or golden gate park or something?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're right it is at golden gate fields but I won't go since the pavement at golden gate is to uneven my car does not like that I'll wait till scca makes one on Oakland or marina
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't bash AX that much, you really learn a lot about car control at a much safer speed (if your doing the local parking lot deals).
You will definitely take what you learn with you once you hit the real road courses.
As far as rocks and things go, yes there are more of them to deal with but your going to have fun if your drive more aggressively. You'll also be able to throw around the car and see the limitations your car has as well as its capabilities. I'd go for sure a few times then take some laps riding shotgun with some of the members at Sears Point

[ October 03, 2012, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: 9cobra7 ]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What 9cobra7 said is true...you do learn how to drive aggressively in Autox and you learn the car's limitations with all the sharp turns and stuff. I auto-x'ed for a season with scca and AAX and it was fun, but to me it was a cock-tease! You get all excited to run on the course and then BAM! It's all over in just a few seconds. It is definitely fun and a quick thrill, but after I tried open track there was nothing that compared.

As stated, come out to the track one day and take a ride with one of us [burnout]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^^^^^^ this
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the run lasts 35 seconds then that is three times as long as I am going down the drag strip! I was thinking about trying Autocross because there is a group that does it a few miles from my house and it is cheap. However, I think the autocross would just end up being a drifting event for me so I still haven't tried it. I am sure it would be fun. I will definitely hit Sears Point's Road course with NASA next year. I finally got my TKO fixed and proved it out on the drag strip last night when I won the Gear Jammer Class. Now I just need some cash for the entry fee!

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have known Mike Maier since he was 15, he is always tried to get me into autocross, but I would rather road race if I had the money. Here is Mike Maier trying to spice up with a little drag racing in the mix, he showed me this the other day, trying to say a torque arm works great also with drag racing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0fD5_a7lzE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^ that was the square stop challenge. This weekend will be the Return to the coast event in socal and should be live streamed on Bangshift.com

To the OP there is no reason you couldnt do both AutoX and road racing. Personally Im currently hooked on Auto X. There is a lot of local spots where AutoX has been popping up and since I have no trailer setup this really appeals to me. still doesnt mean you couldnt make some adjustments and go run your car on the road coarse, Detroit speed and engineering does it all the time.

I think Auto X has blown up because it is one of the many events held in the american street car series which are some of the qualifying events for optima ultimate street car challenge. the whole pro-touring movement has really brought all aspects of car performance to light. as you seen in the video Lee posted the square stop challenge test your cars ability to accelerate, slalom, stop.

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been autocrossing for about 15 years and enjoy it. I feel I learned a lot about car control that would have been harder to learn at the road course.

You have to accept the fact that you have to work the course. If you pay attention to the fast guys when you are there you can learn about how they set up for corners and use the brakes.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been doing autocross, karting, & road racing for about 15 years. I started out autocrossing, like 9Cobra7 said it teaches you car control at slow speeds and all that you experience you take to the track. Fuck look at Bryan Heitkotter who won the GT Acadmey.... HUGE autocrosser and sim racer now he races for Nissan and Sony.... I wouldn't knock it..... seat time is seat time.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

^^^^ I was working the course with Bryan real down to earth guy despite the talent he has Bryan is pretty modest like a lot of other great drivers and not to stir the pot but I've noticed that former auto x guys dominate on open track
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 331SVO:
^^^^ not to stir the pot but I've noticed that former auto x guys dominate on open track

Exactly

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Who here knows when the next event will be?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Two day event this weekend in Redding.

http://www.trinitytouringclub.com/

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com