Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Track tires & rims

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Track tires & rims
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im going to be picking up some 17 x 9/10 rims and wanted to see what brand & size of tires you guys are guys are running. I was looking at the following
* Hankook Z214
* Nitto NT01
* Nitto NT05

Thanks

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have 18x9 and 18x10 and I am running 275-35 front and 295-30 rear Hoosier R6
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm a noob at this sport, but ive heard that on out cars, it's best to run a non-staggered tire setup because wider rears will cause even more understeer than we already have. Again, I'm no pro, but it's what I heard/read from other racers.

I currently run 17x9 cobra r's with 255-40-17 on all corners.

Jay, I'd also say that you should stay away from racing tires and use street tires. They say you learn how to drive better that way.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went to one event a month for 5 years on 245 street tires.

This year I stepped up to 17x9 bullits all around with 275/40 NT01's.

the difference is incredible, if I didn't have the experience gained from street tire driving at the track I would develop bad habits because of the insane amount of grip these tires have.

my .02 cents, I had a LOT of fun learning how to drive and maintain proper lines with skinny street tires.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
I'm a noob at this sport, but ive heard that on out cars, it's best to run a non-staggered tire setup because wider rears will cause even more understeer than we already have. Again, I'm no pro, but it's what I heard/read from other racers.

Jay, I'd also say that you should stay away from racing tires and use street tires. They say you learn how to drive better that way.

My pops wants to buy them so I'm not going to say no. I don't think these Nitto's NT01 or NT05 are to crazy, they are street legal.

--------------------
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll jump in...

I am running 17X9 Cobra R's with Hoosiers on recommendation from another guy I run with. I brought up the idea of running street tires to "learn how to drive first" and he scoffed.

With that said, what's a decent street-oriented tire I can run for a season, until I figure this all out?

Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SnakeBit:
quote:

My pops wants to buy them so I'm not going to say no. I don't think these Nitto's NT01 or NT05 are to crazy, they are street legal.
It sounds like NT05's will suit you much better.

NT01's are "street legal" but right on the sidewall is stamped "recommend for competition use only"

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
I'll jump in...

I am running 17X9 Cobra R's with Hoosiers on recommendation from another guy I run with. I brought up the idea of running street tires to "learn how to drive first" and he scoffed.

With that said, what's a decent street-oriented tire I can run for a season, until I figure this all out?

Bridgestone RE11
Kumho XS
Hankook V12 evo
Nitto NT05
Falken RT-615K

Basically, any ~160-200 treadwear "extreme performance summer" tire

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I'll jump in...

When I used my 18" saleens, I ran Bridgestone RE11's. On my 17" cobra R's I run Bridgestone RE01R's (older version of the RE11). I think these are excellent street tires. When heated up, they grip really well!

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
quote:
I'll jump in...

When I used my 18" saleens, I ran Bridgestone RE11's. On my 17" cobra R's I run Bridgestone RE01R's (older version of the RE11). I think these are excellent street tires. When heated up, they grip really well!
I loved my re01r's, I got 2 years of once a month events out of them before they corded/started to chunk.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good to know, thanks guys
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with the street tires first. It is good to learn the limits and adjust. Putting on hooisers like mine make you feel like nothing can go wrong, until it does. Street tires will make the limit more known. I just went on hoosiers this year after many many many years on street tires.
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:
I agree with the street tires first. It is good to learn the limits and adjust. Putting on hooisers like mine make you feel like nothing can go wrong, until it does. Street tires will make the limit more known. I just went on hoosiers this year after many many many years on street tires.

Um, all the tires that are listed are street tires [Confused]

--------------------
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

quote:
Originally posted by SnakeBit:
quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:

Um, all the tires that are listed are street tires [Confused]
my first post said i run Hoosier R6 now.
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
'Street tires' just means they have some form of a groove and overall, the term is meaningless. What matters is the treadwear rating. Most R compounds have a treadwear rating of 100 or less.

In general, you want to stay clear of an inexperienced driver running R compounds. Some think they can handle it, most can't. It's not a question if they'll loose it but when. And when they do, they don't know what to do and make even bigger mistakes.

They best thing to do is take a pass through the hot pit and give them some distance. Let them possibly take out someone else.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
'Street tires' just means they have some form of a groove and overall, the term is meaningless. What matters is the treadwear rating. Most R compounds have a treadwear rating of 100 or less.

In general, you want to stay clear of an inexperienced driver running R compounds. Some think they can handle it, most can't. It's not a question if they'll loose it but when. And when they do, they don't know what to do and make even bigger mistakes.

They best thing to do is take a pass through the hot pit and give them some distance. Let them possibly take out someone else.

Hey steve, kind of off topic but I saw your car in the last issue of Driven. Never knew you had so much aero on that thing! Is that rear diffuser custom? That car looks insane [worship] got pics to share with us? [Big Grin]

Back on topic, has anyone tried Hankook RS3's? They're priced pretty well against other "extreme summer tires" [Confused]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's some pictures here:

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/1987Foxbody/trackcar/

The aero work was done by the previous owner. He was into running the Sliver State Classic and worked his way up to the Unlimited class (over 200mph). He told me that over 140mph, the Foxbody becomes unstable so he made the changes supposedly with Ford's help (he wanted to be the first over 200mph Mustang and Ford did as well). His top speed was 214mph.

Since I bought it, I've changed it more into a road course car.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
There's some pictures here:

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/1987Foxbody/trackcar/

The aero work was done by the previous owner. He was into running the Sliver State Classic and worked his way up to the Unlimited class (over 200mph). He told me that over 140mph, the Foxbody becomes unstable so he made the changes supposedly with Ford's help (he wanted to be the first over 200mph Mustang and Ford did as well). His top speed was 214mph.

Since I bought it, I've changed it more into a road course car.

[worship] That thing is crazy! 214mph!!! [Eek!]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Not today and probably never again.

The car originally had 3.27 rear gears, a 347 motor with a big blower, custom headers tucked up against the floor pan for aero with temperature sensors on each primary for tuning. I de-tuned it and was still at ~540 Hp at the rear wheels. I'd stomp on the gas and my leg would start to shake. It was scary fast.

That motor is long gone.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com