Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » want to get into road racing/ drifting

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: want to get into road racing/ drifting
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As far as susp goes:

Front: sn95 front susp, control arms, spindles, brakes, springs "i have spindles for coil over" but need a spring rate.

Rear: mm lower control arms new shocks

Since im basically stock id like to hear a good route to go, im not sure of what class id be shooting for but im just getting into it

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do it bro! Road racing is fun as hell, GUARANTEED! I think your current setup will be fine for now. Just get some decent brake pads and tires and go out there! [burnout]

A lot of guys on here can chime in on tips/pointers for road racing newbs...i know I've gotten A LOT of help and still do til this day! [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make 100% sure the route you wanna go first. drifting and road racing are gonna need different setups.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How few and far are the tracks to race?

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 84SVOrick:

there are 3 tracks in Norcal all within a few hours of the bay area: Thunderhill, Infineon, and Laguna Seca. I'd HIGHLY suggest road racing over drifting [Wink]

--------------------

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:

there are 3 tracks in Norcal all within a few hours of the bay area: Thunderhill, Infineon, and Laguna Seca. I'd HIGHLY suggest road racing over drifting [Wink]
Why do you suggest road racing over drifting? Im not tryin to be a smart ass, im just curious.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:
quote:
quote:

Why do you suggest road racing over drifting? Im not tryin to be a smart ass, im just curious.
+1

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1
Simply because I'm biased. To me, drifting is more of a hobby whereas road racing is more of a sport. But thats just my opinion. Both have their pros and cons, but in the end, I feel that you can take road racing further.

If you're really undecided, you should just try both out before building your car specifically for one or the other. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions about road racing...I had a ton of questions when I first started earlier this year and i would love to help another mustang owner get into it as well [patriot]

--------------------

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1
Simply because I'm biased. To me, drifting is more of a hobby whereas road racing is more of a sport. But thats just my opinion. Both have their pros and cons, but in the end, I feel that you can take road racing further.

If you're really undecided, you should just try both out before building your car specifically for one or the other. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions about road racing...I had a ton of questions when I first started earlier this year and i would love to help another mustang owner get into it as well [patriot]

yea i see where youre comin from. a good friend of mine is getting into road racing and im going the route of drifting. theres more money involved in road racing but theres more opportunities as well. hes really juiced about it and hopes to make a career out of it. i on the other hand just like the feeling of sliding around the track [Big Grin] to each his own

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

yea i see where youre comin from. a good friend of mine is getting into road racing and im going the route of drifting. theres more money involved in road racing but theres more opportunities as well. hes really juiced about it and hopes to make a career out of it. i on the other hand just like the feeling of sliding around the track [Big Grin] to each his own
Yea, it basically comes down to what you enjoy more. Road racing definitely costs a lot more as far as trackdays go. A RR trackday can range from $99-$400 depending on the track, organization, etc. Then you have to add in all the wear and tear on the car. It hurts ths pockets but its fun as hell!

Whatever Rick decides on, he really should try both out. I thought I like autocrossing when I did it a few years back with my previous saleen...then I tried RR and it was a whole other level of fun!

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

I suggest road racing first, but as a learning too. You need to learn the basics before you can go out and start drifting. Once you learn the basics of "driving on a race track and race car dynamics" then you move on to leaning "finite car control" which is needed for drifting. To me it's all tied together..... you need to learn one first.... Road Racing.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
norcalstangman
¯
Member # 8387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalstangman  Ford pictures for norcalstangman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
RR and drifting both I love but I'd prefer drifting. Suspicion setups are pretty much the same. Only on foxs it requires us to get more steering angle and for that comes in the mods of the spindle, control arms, steering rack, and maxing out caster and some camber with a touch of toe. RR is a Lil more simple but badass fun
Posts: 444 | From: san mateo, ca | Registered: May 2008  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

What set ups are you guys running for road racing and what set ups are you guys running for drifting?

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

My RR setup consists of all Maximum Motorsports pieces. Currently, my car has all rear components: panhard bar, torque arm, lower control arms, full length subframe connectors, and coilovers at four corners.

Sitting in my garage waiting to be installed is all my front components: forward offset control arms, solid steering shaft, aluminum steering rack bushings, bumpsteer kit, CC plates, shortened swaybar end links, urethane swaybar bushings. I'm also in the works of finishing it off by buying an MM k-member and Canton RR oil pan.

I also have a 4-pt roll bar from MM waiting to be installed along with an Ultrashield aluminum seat and Momo steering wheel. I'm hoping to have everything dialed in by the end of January.

For drifting purposes, I think the setups are pretty similar except spring rates and caster/camber settings.

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use all MM parts as well. The secret to speed is knowing how to interpret what the car is telling you and using that information to make adjustments to your setup. It is extremely challenging, almost impossible, to get the setup dead nuts perfect.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok as for spring rates, on my '97 I'm running full mm k member and a arms, coilovers, I'm using a 375# 10" spring front then a 350# 10" rear spring. I made my own Torque Arm setup in use with mm panhard bar. She rails well. If I was leaning towards drifting I would take in to consideration of running a 400-475# rear spring, and downing the front to 325-350# springs. This would help weight shift off the rear and make it start into the drift alot easier.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
My RR setup consists of all Maximum Motorsports pieces. Currently, my car has all rear components: panhard bar, torque arm, lower control arms, full length subframe connectors, and coilovers at four corners.

Sitting in my garage waiting to be installed is all my front components: forward offset control arms, solid steering shaft, aluminum steering rack bushings, bumpsteer kit, CC plates, shortened swaybar end links, urethane swaybar bushings. I'm also in the works of finishing it off by buying an MM k-member and Canton RR oil pan.

Can I make a suggestion. With what you listed for your front suspension setup I would also buy the front swaybar relocation mounts. It will reduce the bind you will get from the forward offset a arms.
Take this from experience. I had to do it

I also have a 4-pt roll bar from MM waiting to be installed along with an Ultrashield aluminum seat and Momo steering wheel. I'm hoping to have everything dialed in by the end of January.

For drifting purposes, I think the setups are pretty similar except spring rates and caster/camber settings.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Ok as for spring rates, on my '97 I'm running full mm k member and a arms, coilovers, I'm using a 375# 10" spring front then a 350# 10" rear spring. I made my own Torque Arm setup in use with mm panhard bar. She rails well. If I was leaning towards drifting I would take in to consideration of running a 400-475# rear spring, and downing the front to 325-350# springs. This would help weight shift off the rear and make it start into the drift alot easier.

So you run only a 25# difference between your front and rear springs? MM recommends having a 100# difference from front to rear....curious as to how your setup feels compared to what they recommend [Confused]

--------------------

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Now this is getting interesting

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

you can only choose one..or it gets expensive..drifting and road racing set-up are worlds apart..and once you get one dialed in i doubt you will want to change it back and fourth after investing so much time in getting a combo working right..i vote for drifting you can make up for parts with driving skill..road racing has a strong competition [patriot] ..although i love it it just isnt for me

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

quote:
Originally posted by Jaejae5.0:
quote:

you can only choose one..or it gets expensive..drifting and road racing set-up are worlds apart..and once you get one dialed in i doubt you will want to change it back and fourth after investing so much time in getting a combo working right..i vote for drifting you can make up for parts with driving skill..road racing has a strong competition [patriot] ..although i love it it just isnt for me
Whats up Jae, are you gonna go to wednesday drift at sears point next season? It would be cool to get a decent group of stangs so we wont be so outnumbered by ricers lol. Plus i would look forward to seein you drift.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaejae5.0:
quote:

Whats up Jae, are you gonna go to wednesday drift at sears point next season? It would be cool to get a decent group of stangs so we wont be so outnumbered by ricers lol. Plus i would look forward to seein you drift.
perhaps..haha [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

damn thread jacked already

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

quote:
damn thread jacked already

sorry i got off topic

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com