Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Pics (AND NOW) Video from NASA @ Infineon July 2!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pics (AND NOW) Video from NASA @ Infineon July 2!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quick breakdown of today's NASA event at Infineon...FUN AS HELL!! I ran in group 2 for the first time and although its just a slight step up from group 1, I was able to run with some faster guys and had a blast! I really felt some improvements in my driving and actually got a little sideways during my third session because my tires were slightly over inflated and the track was hot and greasy. Although slippery at times, I luckily didnt have any mishaps (knock on wood) [Big Grin]

I also got to take a ride with 9Cobra7 (Greg) in his car running group 4. This man can DRIVE [worship] We got on track a little late and once we were on, we passed a shit load of cars! Masserati's aint got nothin on our stock 32v motors [Wink] [Razz]

My dad ran the Hyperdrive event using my Faleen and he's now a track addict. He couldn't stop talking about how much fun he had on our drive home! Hopefully he'll get his own car for future events [Big Grin]

Anyway, it was a hell of a lot of fun today and I can't wait to get back on track!

Here's the link to my short video edit from my 4th session...good times! I still have lots to work on but I'm slowly getting there (I think/hope)...enjoy [patriot]

(watch it in highest HD resolution) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxf-QlmMswU

Here's a couple pics I snapped throughout the day...

My pops lined up for his first "real" on-track session...
 -

Pop's again running in the Hyperdrive session...

-

9Cobra7 (Greg) doing his thing in the #95 Cobra...

-

Bob from Precision Motive (he tech inspects my car each event [patriot] )...real cool dude! His car is a 67 coupe with astroked 351, slicks, and Maier Racing/Maximum Motorsports suspension...VERY nice ride!

-

I believe this is "Needacage" from the board running the HyperDrive session...

-

Four-eyed Griggs coupe...

-

[ July 06, 2011, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha nice Ian! Got pops racing around in the Faleen!

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:
Haha nice Ian! Got pops racing around in the Faleen!

Yea man, he's lovin it hahah

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It was a little hot out there but it was an awesome day and your dad looked like he had a blast. Good times [burnout]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, that was me. I had a blast. I also ran in HPDE-4 in my buddy Smitty's car. His is the 4-eyed #99 coupe you took the picture of. Those guys are fast in HPDE-4. I would want a designated track car to run in that group since those guys are nuts and run within inches of eachother side by side around the corners. What a blast! It was so fun riding in his car to see how a properly set up track car handles and stops.

I had so much fun running in the Hyperdrive. The brakes feel better with the cheap upgrade I did wiht the MM package. I really only tried them out once when the instructor had my pass a guy on the way to turn 11. I told myself I would not pass anyone there. I wasn't even set up right so I had to use a lot of power. I jumped on it in 3rd and hit 4th right behind the drag race tower and then had to immediately downshift and hit the brakes hard for the corner. I went a little wide but I made it around the turn and then took off hard in 2nd. That was so much fun and I think I could have hit the brakes harder and took a better line, but I wanted to make sure they didn't lock up so I only hit that as hard as I needed to in order to get around. I definitely want to get out there again so I can try adding more power coming out of the corners. There were always cars in my way to really feel what the car could do. The corners sure are different when you start adding speed! My drag radials actually did okay. At least I could put the power down in 2nd coming out of turn 11 and it would stick and go. I was only at WOT in 2nd for about half a second and I was shifting early and trying to do smooth shifts. The instructor told me not to take off so hard out of turn 11 the first time around, so I was a little gun shy after that.

I like the picture!

Craig

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Needacage, sounds like you had a lot of fun out there! Your buddy's coupe is real nice man! I saw you during the Hyperdrive session and coming down the start/finish your car sounded bad ass! Hopefully you can get out there again soon! It'd be nice to meet more fellow mustang HPDE guys to run on the track with [Whoo Whooooo!]

I was playing with the euro boys yesterday (bimmers and porsches) and on my fourth session they didnt know the "shitty handling" mustang could keep up [Wink] I'll try to get a short video up tonight [burnout]

--------------------

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, it was a lot of fun and I hope to get back out there. I want to put the offroad H-pipe back on, but I am waiting until I have my TKO ready to go in. The catalytic pipe makes it so quiet. It still sounds good at WOT, but I can barely here it cruising around. It will sound real good going around the track with the offroad. However, the cats do drop the torque down which helps it plant the power and not spin the tires coming out of the corners. I want to put some street tires on the back to improve the cornering stability, but I am sure they will be easy to spin if I get on the power too hard in 2nd. They should hook in 3rd though.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
Yes, it was a lot of fun and I hope to get back out there. I want to put the offroad H-pipe back on, but I am waiting until I have my TKO ready to go in. The catalytic pipe makes it so quiet. It still sounds good at WOT, but I can barely here it cruising around. It will sound real good going around the track with the offroad. However, the cats do drop the torque down which helps it plant the power and not spin the tires coming out of the corners. I want to put some street tires on the back to improve the cornering stability, but I am sure they will be easy to spin if I get on the power too hard in 2nd. They should hook in 3rd though.

The white 84 #99 is my buddy Matt Smith, he runs NASA American Iron

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Needacage, sounds like you had a lot of fun out there! Your buddy's coupe is real nice man! I saw you during the Hyperdrive session and coming down the start/finish your car sounded bad ass! Hopefully you can get out there again soon! It'd be nice to meet more fellow mustang HPDE guys to run on the track with [Whoo Whooooo!]

I was playing with the euro boys yesterday (bimmers and porsches) and on my fourth session they didnt know the "shitty handling" mustang could keep up [Wink] I'll try to get a short video up tonight [burnout]

Get that video up, lets check your progress with a little critiquing [Big Grin]
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

Get that video up, lets check your progress with a little critiquing [Big Grin]
You ask, so you shall receive oh great one [Razz]

I posted th elink at the top [patriot]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Overall it's very good. You can't see your right hand but it looks like you shifted smooth and got both hands back on the wheel. It also looks like you were smooth with the gas and brake pedals but you really need someone in the car to feel that.

For improvements, first thing is get that left hand out there on the hand signals. You want to be real obvious to the car behind you.

I would also recommend turning in just a touch later. When you want to turn in, wait a heartbeat longer then go for it. You'll be able to start unwinding the wheel at the apex and get on the gas sooner. Watch that black BMW.

Also try making a bigger arc through turn 7. You get a lot of passing done between 6 & 7. If you can, get back on-line before starting 7 rather than hugging the inside and increase the size of the arc. Again look at that black BMW. He'll put his right side tires out on the yellow line, cut in, and take off before the inside berm at turn 7 because he already has the car pointed towards turn 8.

Do whatever you need to do going into a turn to be better positioned coming out of the turn.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
Overall it's very good. You can't see your right hand but it looks like you shifted smooth and got both hands back on the wheel. It also looks like you were smooth with the gas and brake pedals but you really need someone in the car to feel that.

For improvements, first thing is get that left hand out there on the hand signals. You want to be real obvious to the car behind you.

I would also recommend turning in just a touch later. When you want to turn in, wait a heartbeat longer then go for it. You'll be able to start unwinding the wheel at the apex and get on the gas sooner. Watch that black BMW.

Also try making a bigger arc through turn 7. You get a lot of passing done between 6 & 7. If you can, get back on-line before starting 7 rather than hugging the inside and increase the size of the arc. Again look at that black BMW. He'll put his right side tires out on the yellow line, cut in, and take off before the inside berm at turn 7 because he already has the car pointed towards turn 8.

Do whatever you need to do going into a turn to be better positioned coming out of the turn.

Thanks for the input Steve! Watching my video, I noticed that my hand wasn't as far out of the window as I thought. I'll be changing that habit from now on! [patriot]

You're right about turning in later. I always "think" I'm turning-in properly when I'm driving but once I hit the apex I notice I'm off at times. This especially happens to me in turns 7, 8, and 8a. I really need to
work on trying to find markers on the track to tell me when to turn-in [Embarrassed]

As for turn 7, I usually take that turn wider (out past the yellow line) but since I was trying to pass from turn 6 to 7 on almost every lap, my line got thrown off. My car isn't fast enough to pass up some of the cars on the track (Porsches, M3's, etc) so I ended up getting "stuck" and forced to take the turn off line...but I definitely know what you're saying [Wink]

Thanks again for the pointers...anyone else care to comment. The more the merrier! [patriot]

[ July 06, 2011, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Awesome video quality. Steve pretty much covered the basis but yeah don't be affraid to stick that arm out the window with hand signals. Your getting it for sure, looks over all pretty smooth and just keep letting the car pull you out of the turns. Every track and every time you go out will get better and better.
It definitely looks like your going faster than previous and your lap times will tell you that. Keep it up racer [Cool]

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, sick!
Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Dude, sick!

Thanks bro! When am I gonna see you out there Luke?!?! You definitely have to come out and play one day!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com