Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » what tires u guys runnin?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what tires u guys runnin?
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
iv been lookin at a few different summer tires and jus want to know what other corner carvers are running.

these are the ones i had my eye on...

Hankook rs3 -great price for the tire IMO (im leanin toward these ones)
dunlop z1 star spec
kumho ecsta xs -i heard these give good feedback (squeal at their limits)

anyone runnin these? what other good tires are ther?
oh and somthin with a decent to good wear rate!
any opinions are appreciated!

[ June 04, 2011, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im current running Bridgestone RE11's. I love them but I don't think I'd buy them again because of the cost. I got a good deal on a set so I jumped on it, but my next ones will probably be the RS3's or Star Specs. I've heard good things about both of those.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea the re-11s were orginally wat i wanted but there outta my range lol
i wish they didnt stop makin the re-01s

[ June 04, 2011, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any of those will be very good.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is your guys' take on Toyo R888's or RA-1's? I know these are more aggressive tires than those mentioned above, but are they still considered "street tires?" I found a decent deal on a set of RA1's and I want to try them out when I get some 17" rims. Will they be too sticky for me to learn car control or are they still a good tire to run for a beginner in HPDE?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
too sticky for a beginner IMO, even your re11's are pushing it, those have a crazy amount of grip for a street tire, though I noticed a large difference when I moved from re01's to my current nt01's, which are essentially the same as r888's with a different tread pattern.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
too sticky for a beginner IMO, even your re11's are pushing it, those have a crazy amount of grip for a street tire, though I noticed a large difference when I moved from re01's to my current nt01's, which are essentially the same as r888's with a different tread pattern.

yea, I love these RE11's. They're pretty sticky when heated but I dont really get much feedback (squealing) on the track. or it could mean I'm just hella slow [Razz]

Would you say that the RA1's are even stickier and more aggressive than the RE11's?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

ra-1's are much more sticky and aggressive than re11's, I'd say they are on par with nt01's and r888's.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run R6 on the street and at the track.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
ra-1's are much more sticky and aggressive than re11's, I'd say they are on par with nt01's and r888's.

Hmmmm...I really dont want to go down this route, but I may just get the tires and save them for a while.

quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:
I run R6 on the street and at the track.

I knwo what R6's are and those are full out slicks. I dont know how you drive those on the street?!?! [Big Grin]

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they are not full slicks they have 2 grooves lol. its not hard as long as i dont drive like an ass hole lol
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You really don't want to run race tires on the street and that would include DOT race tires like the Hoosiers. Any tire with a wear rating of 100 or less. The main reason is they're not designed to take the abuse street tires are subjected to. The sidewalls aren't strong enough for potholes, the body is thinner so they'll wear out faster and your heat cycling the hell out of them. They'll be hard as rocks in no time.

The main reason for beginners to avoid race tires on the track is something completely different.

Race tires have a lot more grip. First time you try a set you'll be amazed. They hold the asphalt like nothing you've felt before and you'll be able to take corners at a much higher speed. But all that comes with a big risk.

When street tires approach their limit, they'll start to squeal but they'll keep that level of traction. Race tires, once you go over the limit, actually have a lot less traction than street tires. Peak grip is a lot higher but grip drops off dramatically if you push them too far. Generally for a beginner that means trouble. Road racing is definitely a sport where you want to learn to walk before you run. Develop a feel for the car sliding. You'll probably go over the limit of the tires but you'll have a much better chance of regaining control with street tires than with race tires.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

i know. my car sees about 11 miles a year on the street. just pulling it in and out to wash it or race it
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hoosiers, Kuhmo's & Toyo RA1's

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

does hoosier make a summer tire? what model?

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i run the toyo r888 and love them! my only complaint is that they are noisy [Frown]

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sneakyfox90:
does hoosier make a summer tire? what model?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=R6

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com