Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » suspension question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: suspension question
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im in the process of upgrading my suspension and getting the finishing pieces together and ready..
what i have so far:
bistien hd struts n shock
racecraft springs
panhard bar
torque arm
racecraft LCAs
mm strut tower n k member brace

those are some of the main things, but my question is how much would i benifit going with coilovers in the front? as far as handling n cornering performance, and also concerned how the car would feel with running a conventional spring in the rear? how well would that work together? would this be ideal for road course and autox?

oh an i would be going maximummotorsports with hypercoil and whatever rate that compilment the bilstiens and be DD friendly.

any opionions are appreciated. thanks cafords [Big Grin]

[ May 29, 2011, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sneakyfox90:
im in the process of upgrading my suspension and getting the finishing pieces together and ready..
what i have so far:
bistien hd struts n shock
racecraft springs
panhard bar
torque arm
racecraft LCAs
mm strut tower n k member brace

those are some of the main things, but my question is how much would i benifit going with coilovers in the front? as far as handling n cornering performance, and also concerned how the car would feel with running a conventional spring in the rear? how well would that work together? would this be ideal for road course and autox?

oh an i would be going maximummotorsports with hypercoil and whatever rate that compilment the bilstiens and be DD friendly.

any opionions are appreciated. thanks cafords [Big Grin]

I'm no suspension expert but I'll give you my input based on my experience with my previous and current setups...

What spring rate are the Racecraft springs? You are going to need a much stiffer rear spring with the torque arm setup. Go on Maximum Motorsports' website and they sell the T/A specific springs.

You should add full length subframe connectors and caster/camber plates to the car if you dont already have them.

Coilover's in the front and conventional springs in the rear are what MM actually recommend for street cars. They said the rear coilovers will end up getting damaged if you're constantly going up speed bumps, driveways, and everyday bumps/dips in the road. Depending on the spring rate of the front coilovers, you'll need something stiff in the rear to balance it out. I'd call MM to ask what spring rates they recommend.

The Bilstein HD's should be fine up to a certain spring rate (I'm not sure what the max is). You can then upgrade to the race valved Bilsteins that MM sells. I believe my Bilsteins are HD's and I'm running coilovers at all four corners. It feels fine for me omn the track. I rarely drive the car on the streets nowadays but when I do its not too bad, but its definitely stiff.

I hope this helps you a little bit [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thank you SydeWaySix it was very helpfull, i didnt know that about the rear coilovers with a daily drivin car which is wat it is but will also be tracked on occasion.
my main concern was running conventional in rear with coilover in front so thats good to hear that mm reccomends that on street lol.
and to answer your questions i dont know the rates of the racecraft springs there original but i will prolly call mm to see what rear spring they recomend. thanks again SydeWaySix!

[ May 29, 2011, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good read on Mustang Suspension is "Mustang Performance hand book 2" by William R. Mathis, it;s older but covers all types of suspension setups including Street, drag, Autocross and road race.

[ May 30, 2011, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: BIzKitBrAIn ]

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

quote:
Originally posted by BIzKitBrAIn:
Good read on Mustang Suspension is "Mustang Performance hand book 2" by William R. Mathis, it;s older but covers all types of suspension setups including Street, drag, Autocross and road race.

thnx ima check that out.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have coilovers on all four on my DD. It's definitely stiff, but not that bad. I was told that it'll smooth out once I get the final rear suspension part; torque arm. I think my rear springs are 600lbs
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive been in cars with coilovers and it was alil tomuch for a dd to me but to each his own

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by moeofit32:
ive been in cars with coilovers and it was alil tomuch for a dd to me but to each his own

I dont think cars with full coilovers realy makes for a "bad ride," but according to maximum motorsports, they do not advise people to run rear coilovers DD's. They're not made to constantly go up driveways, speed bumps, etc. All the little components that create the coil over setup can not take the abuse of "crashing" down on one another when one side of the car goes up an incline and the other is sitting on flat ground.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by moeofit32:

I dont think cars with full coilovers realy makes for a "bad ride," but according to maximum motorsports, they do not advise people to run rear coilovers DD's. They're not made to constantly go up driveways, speed bumps, etc. All the little components that create the coil over setup can not take the abuse of "crashing" down on one another when one side of the car goes up an incline and the other is sitting on flat ground.
they're fine if you run 'helper springs' which are basically zero spring rate springs that compress down to ~2" and expand up to 6" to take up the slack when going over large pitches which would otherwise unload a rear spring off the collar at the top.

the ride quality of a coil over setup is completely dependant on the spring rate, and shocks/struts used. You can't really compare a coil over car to a traditional spring car and say one rides better than the other without knowing and comparing the spring rates. Whichever has a higher wheel rate is going to ride worse on the street!

To the OP - I would suggest giving MM a call and discuss with the tech line what your goals are with the car, and they'll set you on the right track.

personally on my `89 I run koni DA struts with griggs 400lb coil overs in the front, with koni SA shocks, MM adj. lca's, and MM conventional "torque arm" springs in the rear and the ride is great, I can dial in how soft or firm I want the rebound to be right on the shocks/struts.

It doesn't ride as nice as my DD `97 which has an 03 cobra IRS with 03/04 cobra bilstein shocks/struts and H&R race springs, but that's to be expected!

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

why does running a torque arm set up require stiffer springs? essentially what i did was change from a 4 link rear to 3 link wich the geometry is better i know, but do you need the stiffer springs jus so u can get the "full potential" outta the set up, or does running normal lowering spring not work for some reason?
if i can id like to keep the original 90' saleen racecrafts springs in im guessing there same rate as ebiachs?? im ok with not getting the "maximum full potential" but im not ok if it will result in "poor" or less than good ride quality, ya kno?

[ June 02, 2011, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

My old 95 cobra had a phb/ta setup and for a month or so I retained my H&R Race springs in the rear. These are fairly stiff springs to begin with but with a TA they were waaay too soft. The ride was almost like riding a Cadillac...it'd dip and float and bottom out on big bumps.

--------------------

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
My old 95 cobra had a phb/ta setup and for a month or so I retained my H&R Race springs in the rear. These are fairly stiff springs to begin with but with a TA they were waaay too soft. The ride was almost like riding a Cadillac...it'd dip and float and bottom out on big bumps.

wow..thats good to know, i will definatley be makin the switch then...
i was planin on callin mm already but i jus wanted to hear from other people and their personal experiences.. thanks for ur input sydewaysix

[ June 02, 2011, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the ride quality is pretty awesome with normal rate springs, but straight line traction is completely gone because as soon as you step on the gas the rear bottoms out.

it's incredible how much the rear end binds with the stock 4 link setup, getting rid of that bind means you need MUCH stiffer springs!

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
the ride quality is pretty awesome with normal rate springs, but straight line traction is completely gone because as soon as you step on the gas the rear bottoms out.

it's incredible how much the rear end binds with the stock 4 link setup, getting rid of that bind means you need MUCH stiffer springs!

to be honest im pretty excited to see what it feels like with the phb/ta setup. i've never driven a 5.0 nor been in one with it. [dance]

ive heard some pretty incedible things about it though
like "night and day difference"...

and "the part ford forgot"..

"vett killing" performance LOL

[ June 03, 2011, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com