Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » who road races??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: who road races??
streetsleeper
¯
Member # 9895

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for streetsleeper  Ford pictures for streetsleeper  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I just got my cobra running and I'm trying to get into roadracing or autocross.. I need help getting into it..
Posts: 177 | From: Hayward Ca | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For autocrossing, check out BAAUTOX.COM...

For open track racing, theres a few guys that I'm sure will chime in and give you more info. I've been meaning to try it out sometime soon too.

What're details on your car?

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just converted this guy last weekend from Drag racing to road racing. He was instantly addicted. As far as getting into it, there's to much to tell in short but it's fun as hell.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

Blown88_5.0
¯
Member # 9704

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blown88_5.0  Ford pictures for Blown88_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I road race. Heres a short video of my car at Thunderhill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzkcxj8i46U

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown88_5.0:

Nice video! your car was movin nicely! What you got done to it? Were there, or are there, any turns where your car get completely sideways? I see that theres a good amount of gravel through some turns.

Also, what class were you running in? Looks liek there was a wide variety of cars on the track with you; pickup truck, civic, scion [Eek!]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Blown88_5.0
¯
Member # 9704

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blown88_5.0  Ford pictures for Blown88_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by Blown88_5.0:

Nice video! your car was movin nicely! What you got done to it? Were there, or are there, any turns where your car get completely sideways? I see that theres a good amount of gravel through some turns.

Also, what class were you running in? Looks liek there was a wide variety of cars on the track with you; pickup truck, civic, scion [Eek!]

It was a private track event. I think Big O tires rented the track for the day and I had a buddy get me in. There wasnt really any grouping. It was a run what ya brung event.

The car is really stable. The car has a 345hp crate motor, koni struts/shocks, brembo brakes, a full roll cage.I also have a steeda 5-link rear suspension in it. The rear grips too well tho. As you can hear the front tires screaming for mercy as it understeers thru each turn. I gotta loosen the rear up a bit.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shelby Club has a driving school at Thunderhill next weekend. It's a good event for starting out.

http://www.norcal-saac.org/news/1004th.htm

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
streetsleeper
¯
Member # 9895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for streetsleeper  Ford pictures for streetsleeper  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My bad for taking so long in the response but anyway.. I got a 98 svt Cobra. Its got a stock engine exept for a K&N air filter.. but I got the IRS from an 04 cobra, tubular K-member aluminum drive shaft B&M short shifter and just recently somewhat upgraded my front brakes to powerslot front rotors and hawk pads. What do u think?
89Saleen310
¯
Member # 5397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Saleen310  Ford pictures for 89Saleen310  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ill be at the shelby club thing next weekend open tracking my saleen. You should def go lots of open spots. If this is your first time doing it you should def sign up with an instructor to get your lines down. And just have fun i always do

--------------------
89 Saleen #310
64 1/2 coupe
73 mach 1
73 vert
66 vert
65 vert
67 coupe
67 coupe
66 coupe

Posts: 1128 | From: Oakland Hills (montclair) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by streetsleeper:
My bad for taking so long in the response but anyway.. I got a 98 svt Cobra. Its got a stock engine exept for a K&N air filter.. but I got the IRS from an 04 cobra, tubular K-member aluminum drive shaft B&M short shifter and just recently somewhat upgraded my front brakes to powerslot front rotors and hawk pads. What do u think?

What do I think, it's a good start. Just get on track and get some experience and have fun. Really it's that simple. You don't need much but common sense, some decent tires, high temp brake fluid and good pads. Obviously a few things like a helmet and stuff but just start slow and progress from there. Don't complicate yourself like many people do and over think this just get out and do it.
Forderator
¯
Member # 6585

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forderator  Ford pictures for Forderator    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out Trackmaster-Racing.com. I've been running with them for six years, great people, great instructors, best track time for the money, no bs like the Shelby club....
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

quote:
Originally posted by Forderator:
Check out Trackmaster-Racing.com. I've been running with them for six years, great people, great instructors, best track time for the money, no bs like the Shelby club....

I'm really biting my tongue here when you say no bs like Shelby Club. I just had a major incident with Trackmasters and was wrongfully accused of something I didn't do. I have it on camera but they wouldn't look at it with me so I was kicked out for the day. I have sent the owner an email with no reply to resolve this. First time in over 10 years I was kicked out for anything. Agreed though Shelby club wasn't my thing but I haven't been a member there in 7-8 years so it may have changed. I am giving the owner a little more time to respond to me before I let you all know what happened but maybe I shouldn't. [Mad]
streetsleeper
¯
Member # 9895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for streetsleeper  Ford pictures for streetsleeper  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice.. well thanks a lot for the input. I will try to make it out to the track.. hope to see some of you guys out their .
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NASA will be at thunderhill in 2 weeks and the following month be there again doing it backwards.
89Saleen310
¯
Member # 5397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Saleen310  Ford pictures for 89Saleen310  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i have been with shelby club for 3 years now and never had a problem or gone through any bs. So im not sure what your talking about ive raced green flag and they are cool. Never raced with trackmaster but i've heard some stuff. But yeah hope to see you on the track soon. And like he says start slow dont get over your head and just enjoy it.

--------------------
89 Saleen #310
64 1/2 coupe
73 mach 1
73 vert
66 vert
65 vert
67 coupe
67 coupe
66 coupe

Posts: 1128 | From: Oakland Hills (montclair) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
streetsleeper
¯
Member # 9895

ummm is anything closer?? i live in hayward.. Willows is like 3.5 hours away..?
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

quote:

Pay to play, I don't know what else to say. Sears Point is like and hour from Hayward, Laguna Seca is maybe 1.5 hours. Thunderhill is maybe 3 hours so maybe you should autocross which is closer and more local.
rozwell911
¯
Member # 9917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rozwell911  Ford pictures for rozwell911    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:

Pay to play, I don't know what else to say. Sears Point is like and hour from Hayward, Laguna Seca is maybe 1.5 hours. Thunderhill is maybe 3 hours so maybe you should autocross which is closer and more local.
there is an autocross group that does their events near an empty lot near Fort Ord in seaside.

I talked to a few members before and they told me that they also hold some events around the bay area, most notable one was one at the parking lot at Oracle area in Oakland.

I forgot who actually hosts the events though..maybe a little online research can help.

[ April 19, 2010, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: rozwell911 ]

--------------------
2007 GT Vista Blue
-Hurst Short Shifter
-Bassani X-pipe
-Bassani Axle Back
-MAC RAI
-AED Tuned 296.7 RWHP and 333.8 RWTQ

streetsleeper
¯
Member # 9895

Thanks alott man... I didn't know they did that around here
mtndew98
¯
Member # 9426

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtndew98  Ford pictures for mtndew98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll be doing my first TT event with NASA this weekend at Thunder Hill.. Been doing it with NASA for almost 4 years now.

--------------------
98 GT full PI swap, #40 NASA TTC

Posts: 38 | From: Fairfield CA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been doing autocross for nearly 10 years off and on. It is so addicting you will forget about drag racing all together... for a while.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It sounds and looks more fun then drag racing

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lots of fun

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com