Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » New to road racing (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New to road racing
F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F1R/GT  Ford pictures for F1R/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When is the next track event? When do I have to enter by? What all do I need to have safety wise? Do I need to take any classes first?

--------------------
sure officer it's stock....

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Greenflag is having a event Nov. 28-29 at Buttonwillow. Good group of people, safe track and the entry is like 225.00 per day I think. I'll be there in my new racecar (track only) for testing and a few of my buddies will be too. It's to much fun and you'll be addicted so start saving your money. Go on the website for safety equipment and things. Greenflagdriving.com I think. You don't have to take any classes but just some common sense. Helmet, fire extinguisher (I think) for all groups, decent brakes and tires and a good learning attitude. If your a cool guy I'll take you out in my car.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F1R/GT  Ford pictures for F1R/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanx for all the info. I'll more than likely go to the event with my GF dad he's got a sweet ZO6 and he's been racing for a little while. I realy appreciate all the advice and hopfully you will think that I'm cool enough guy so I can get to ride in a real race car. Mine is only around 650 to the wheels so yours must be bad ass.

--------------------

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Thanx for all the info. I'll more than likely go to the event with my GF dad he's got a sweet ZO6 and he's been racing for a little while. I realy appreciate all the advice and hopfully you will think that I'm cool enough guy so I can get to ride in a real race car. Mine is only around 650 to the wheels so yours must be bad ass.

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol, only 650 to the wheels. What the hell do have in that mustang, mine has like 300 rwhp right now. However, the is car will go around the track very fast at 2850lbs. It's all about the corners, I'll see you out there. #95

--------------------

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Where is Button willow located???? Haha.. Ya the engine is toward the drag race side but I have all road race suspension it's a full Maximum Motorsports adjustable coilover suspension system on my 02GT. Hey.... Do they have noise restrictions???? My car is hella loud.

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

You'll have no problem with noise, there are retired Nascars and things like that that are crazy loud. The track is off hwy 5 about 3.5 to 4 hrs south of San Jose. The track is very fun, many turns and really no where to wreck your car if you go off track. It's a great track to learn on.

--------------------

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Rite on. I'll see you their.

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you do go to Buttonwillow, you absolutely need a helmet and gloves. Motorcycle helmets are OK and helmets are available for rent at the track. For your own safety, it's important that the helmet is the right size and not too big.

Fireproof driving gloves are recommended but any type of glove is the minimum. Passengers are allowed except for the first session of the day. They also must have helmet and gloves. There's no formal instruction program but there should be enough experienced drivers to help out.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
deleted - double post

[ November 03, 2009, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

If you do go to Buttonwillow, you absolutely need a helmet and gloves. Motorcycle helmets are OK and helmets are available for rent at the track. For your own safety, it's important that the helmet is the right size and not too big.

Fireproof driving gloves are recommended but any type of glove is the minimum. Passengers are allowed except for the first session of the day. They also must have helmet and gloves. There's no formal instruction program but there should be enough experienced drivers to help out.

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Thanx steve. I just might have a passenger on the second day if my car lasts that long.

--------------------

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

How many laps are each race? How many races in each event day? What's the estemated time each heat or race last?

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Well, it's open track, not a race. We're not running for position or lap times. Drive as fast as you want or can while keeping control of your car and operating it in a safe manner. We hate to see people wreck their cars or worse, get hurt by trying to go too fast too soon.

As far as track time, figure that you'll get close to two hours of track time per day. There are five track sessions per day. The first session is typically 20 minutes and then extend to 30 minutes in the afternoon.

Besides making sure your car is ready, there some additional info that would be helpful to know.

Flags: http://www.hookedondriving.com/video.cfm?video=4

Primer: http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/primer.pdf

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Steve L are you going to this event too? Also F1R/GT if your car is really running that much power you REALLY SHOULD consider running 100 octane or a mix. I assume your supercharged running that much power and *HEAT KILLS ENGINES*. I would hate to see it grenade and your stuck at the track. Also, you need some good brake pads. I don't know what brakes you have but this is very important especially since your car is heavier and has more power. Remember, you want to drive home!

--------------------

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Wow!!! You guys are very helpful. It's nice to know that theirs gonna be cool people that are willing to help out if needed thanxs so much. By the way my car runs race fuel only, has an oversize canton oil pan, a big fluidyn radiator, air to air 3 core inter cooler , water methanol injection system, 2000 Cobra R front brake system, sloted rear rotors with stock calipers, and I'm trailering it down their. I'm just hoping it all holds together I've never driven it that hard for an extended amount of time. I'm running a good amount of boost from the procharger. It's a well built car though, I guess I'm just nervous. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Yes, I plan on going but not certain at this time.

If you're going to trailer your car, you can drop off the car and the trailer at the track Friday if you get their before they close the gates (at least 6 pm, maybe later). The exit for the track is Lerdo Hwy off Hwy 5. The hotels are 10 miles further south at the Hwy 58 exit. There's room to park the truck & trailer at the any of the hotels if you arrive late.

Gas, including 100 octane is available at the track but will probably be expensive. No place in town sells race gas.

If you're not sure you're going to run both days, sign up and pay for one day. You can simply pay the difference on Sunday if you run the second day.

The drivers meeting starts at 8am and the first group will go out at 9am.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

quote:
Originally posted by F1R/GT:
Wow!!! You guys are very helpful. It's nice to know that theirs gonna be cool people that are willing to help out if needed thanxs so much. By the way my car runs race fuel only, has an oversize canton oil pan, a big fluidyn radiator, air to air 3 core inter cooler , water methanol injection system, 2000 Cobra R front brake system, sloted rear rotors with stock calipers, and I'm trailering it down their. I'm just hoping it all holds together I've never driven it that hard for an extended amount of time. I'm running a good amount of boost from the procharger. It's a well built car though, I guess I'm just nervous. [Roll Eyes]

Sounds like a really badass mustang, I can't wait to see it out there and using that suspension like it was meant to. Your brakes are good but I really do recommend some race pads for the front. They will fade after a few laps and it's not a comfortable feeling. If you already have them then forget what I said. I was nervous my first time and couldn't sleep the night before but it was all worth it, believe me. You will learn so much and it will make street racing look like a joke which is why I drive a taurus everyday. Just take it easy and start out slow and progress through out the day. Look for me #95 white cobra and I'll help out with tips and things but most everyone out there is there to help and have fun. Fun Guaranteed!

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NASA has an event this weekend at sears point. one of the race groups is tha camaro-mustang challang and the factory fives. first event you will need to sign up for HPDE 1 and they will give you an instructor....mike

http://www.nasanorcal.com/

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Thanx for all the information and the kind words a out my car I've put alot of money into it way more than I care to mention. I'm glad to know that I'll have friends at the track it makes things a bit more comforting. Keep an eye or ear out for me... The blue mustang with the white cobra r hood it's way loud.... No mufflers. Hehe

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
over 103bt and you go home..
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

No, not at Buttonwillow. There, Sears Point and Thunderhill do have max sound limits but they're rarely enforced.
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by F1R/GT:
2000 Cobra R front brake system, sloted rear rotors with stock calipers

Are your new rear rotors stock GT style with no cooling veins? I ran an '01 GT with upgraded front and stock style rear rotors and burned up the rear pads in one single 20 minute session.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

My rear rotors are sloted with stock calipers.

--------------------

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

I think that I'm going to try and put some exhaust pipes on that dump out of the side kinda like the cobra R

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com