Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Awesome Video Mustang vs. GTR Road Race (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Awesome Video Mustang vs. GTR Road Race
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRzHEPeK33U

Guys, this is my new favorite video. Its at Thunderhill up in Nor-Cal. The GTR is a Pro Grand-Am car, carbon wide body, butloads of racing mods, huge hoosier slicks, etc etc. 90k for the car, probably another 20k in mods. = $110k
The mustang is an 04 Cobra (WITHOUT IRS) but with the full GR40 suspension setup, making 600hp and only 440tq, solid axle, DOT R6 Tires, and GR 4 on 4 brakes. 30k car, plus 20 mods= $50k
Bruce Griggs sent tme this video himself, telling me about the event. The GTR appears to be much faster on the infield (corners) than the mustang, but in reality the Mustang driver (also a rookie) is going in a lot slower on purpose, to be much faster on exit. I should also point out that after this race, the GTR has completely destroyed its brakes, and they were so hot it blistered all of their tires.
The mustang dude is just a joe-shmoe weekend racer who showed up, missed practice, jumped into qual and took pole .5 seconds faster than the pro-team GTR. Dont get me wrong, I love GTRs, and am stoked to see one racing- but you cant deny how frickin cool it is to watch the Mustang put a beat down on a car thats twice the price.
You should also know its Bruce Griggs motto to never show all your cards- and only win by as much as you have to.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dan that was fuckin' sick man, thanks for posting that. Griggs is it baby!

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

future9er24
¯
Member # 7292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for future9er24  Ford pictures for future9er24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that was fucking awesome

--------------------
Arin
'76 Cobra II 5.0 EFI

Posts: 143 | From: Redwood city CA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good Lawd!!!

Than thing is soft in the turns but it hits hard coming out. He was leaving that GTR behind. Wish they would have kept the 04 cobra rear bumper though

heres a pic of the GT-R

-

[ September 04, 2009, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: 50 Deep ]

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Chris83179
¯
Member # 6017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris83179  Ford pictures for Chris83179    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The GTR got TOOK on the straights. Not surprising though. That was a great battle...

--------------------
13 Focus ST
01 Bullitt - Sold

Posts: 558 | From: Bay Area & Sac | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
IvanFive0
built for twisties
Member # 5574

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for IvanFive0  Ford pictures for IvanFive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Amazing video! [worship]

Dan, Is that Guy Cunningham car?

--------------------
2012 Coyote - Daily
91 Coupe - HCI turbo
88 Mclaren - Griggs, T56, S trim, B50
87 Coupe

Posts: 883 | From: At the apex, passing you! | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92Chp:
Amazing video! [worship]

I think it's darrel anderson's car and probably him driving

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blkfoxbody89  Ford pictures for blkfoxbody89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That was a pretty intense race. that mustang handled those corners so beautifuly. I'd like to see a pro driver display it's full potential.

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

Posts: 976 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow i was hoping to see the mustang pass again in the second video. any more pics/details of the mustang? also that guy is pretty damn good for being just "a joe schmoe weekend racer". i'd give him more credit than that!

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome!

That's real racing!

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dude in the GTR had an absolutely horrible line, but still a great vid [Smile]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, aka Brian Lock, in the GTR is a professional driver, and holds several NASA track records at Thunderhill and Infineon. Race line and school line and usually not the same.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
Dude, aka Brian Lock, in the GTR is a professional driver, and holds several NASA track records at Thunderhill and Infineon. Race line and school line and usually not the same.

true, but it seems to me like he could be turning in later so he could get onto the throttle sooner.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:
Originally posted by 92Chp:
Amazing video! [worship]

I think it's darrel anderson's car and probably him driving
i think it its Guy Cunninghams based on the Griggs website

-

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
mrcoupe
¯
Member # 8912

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrcoupe  Ford pictures for mrcoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bad ass video!! didnt look like the mustang was gonna come back,then woooosh bye bye haha good stuff [patriot]

--------------------
03 termi

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That was beautiful...
Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Guy drove the car a couple times last year (the one pictured above), but Im pretty sure thats Darrel Anderson's car, and he is the one driving it. I didnt mean to discredit his driving at all, but compared to the Skyline driver he is a complete rookie. He's a contractor for a living- not a pro driver.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

not exactly a 50k car, I just got this back from an email with Griggs -

quote:

I've spoken with Darrel Anderson (the owner of the Mustang) to
validate this data for you.

He has +/- $160,000 in the car. It's a 2004 Griggs GR40RT Mustang
Cobra. Some specs are: Griggs GR40RT Chassis, Griggs 4on4 Brakes
(13.5" dia. up front to reduce moment of inertia and 4piston calipers
all the way around), 358 (5.7L) Ford V8 making 520RWHP, weighs
3250lbs. with driver, It uses a 9" Ford live axle rear end with Griggs
Torque Arm and Watts Link, Jongbloed Aero 305 18"x12" wheels, 335mm
Hoosier R6 tires. The car was built by Griggs Racing.

Ironically Darrell also owns a new (stock) 2008 GT-R.

I know the GT-R was has the same (Jongbloed) wheels as the Mustang,
JRZ suspension, engine and trans coolers, the engine has had
extensive modifications (hardware and tuning), and aftermarket brakes.
I'm sure there is more but that is the extent of my knowledge.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Colin Sebern
Griggs Racing

[Smile]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is an expensive game. Building a midpack AI car, which is much slower than the 45 car, costs nearly $50K. Building a championship AI car is $75-$100K. The shocks on the 45 car are worth more than most cars on this board.
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the GTR was sitting in the paddack with tire warmers. it was a great race to watch. both drivers were really clean. to bad the mustang spun out and couldn't catch up.......
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blind:
[QB] not exactly a 50k car, I just got this back from an email with Griggs -

[QUOTE]
I've spoken with Darrel Anderson (the owner of the Mustang) to
validate this data for you.

He has +/- $160,000 in the car. It's a 2004 Griggs GR40RT Mustang
Cobra. Some specs are: Griggs GR40RT Chassis, Griggs 4on4 Brakes
(13.5" dia. up front to reduce moment of inertia and 4piston calipers
all the way around), 358 (5.7L) Ford V8 making 520RWHP, weighs
3250lbs. with driver, It uses a 9" Ford live axle rear end with Griggs
- Are you sure about that? That car has roof skin, full poly carb windows, and carbon fenders.My cars are all metal with glass and weight 3044lbs-I know Fox chassis are leighter, but that much??
The car was built by Griggs Racing.

Im a bit surprised by the cost too- I've got the same suspension setup in my cars- minus the baller shocks. Same brakes,also have a 5.7 making 520whp, and still I can only find about $50-60k in my car. I know his shocks and wheels add about 20k...body work 10k....hmmmm...getting closer....can you give Darrel my number and tell him I'll hang out with him anytime-ha!

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

There is a lot of money in converting the car to race car as you probably know. Stripping it, cutting out steel that is not needed, adding reinforcement where it is needed. A full NASA legal cage is probably $10K or more. I have similar rearend to that car and the it cost me $3500 using my housing and axle tubes. I've seen in car video of the the 45 car, it has some sort of race transmission, I'd guess a Jerico. That's about $5k for the tranny alone, not including the clutch, bell and modifying the trans tunnel to make it fit. Race fuel cell, setting the race seat as far back as possible and modifying the pedals, steering wheel, shifter and dash to accommodate that. These are just things right off the top of my head.
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxsXR4Nc7g

Old in-car video of the 45 car. 1:45 in an untuned car at Infineon is crazy fast.

Now the 45 car has more development in it, which isn't free at Griggs racing. The GTR just ran a 1:39 at Infineon, we can assume the mustang is as fast or faster. So, tuning development gained over 5 seconds a lap!

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
God damn those are freaking supercars the way they handle!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com