Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Drifting...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Drifting...
04DropTopGT
¯
Member # 5934

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for 04DropTopGT  Ford pictures for 04DropTopGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, does anyone on here know how to "drift" a car?

I am taking a driving class and I am having problems on the skid pan, getting the car to drift around the 2nd corner.

Any advise or tips to help me out?

bullitt4110
¯
Member # 6586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bullitt4110  Ford pictures for bullitt4110    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are you doing wrong now? Or what is happening now?

--------------------
-2001 C5 Z06
-SOLD: Whippled 03 Cobra
-SOLD: Vortech'd 01 Bullitt #4110

Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Skidpan driving is quite different than drifting. On the pan, just get some turn in, then puch the accelerator. Use nice small movements and keep on the gas to keep the rears spinning. You really wont pick up speed but you can then steer the rear of the car opposite the fronts.

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure what your car has, but are you loosing torque/momentum?

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
04DropTopGT
¯
Member # 5934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04DropTopGT  Ford pictures for 04DropTopGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for the class i am taking, they are having us drive 2002 crown vic's...

I'm not sure what the problem is...i cant seem to hold the drift through the turn.

There is two turns on the skid pan, the smaller turn, no problemo...2nd turn, cant seem to hang on and carry it out.

Does anyone have any tips or advice?

04DropTopGT
¯
Member # 5934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04DropTopGT  Ford pictures for 04DropTopGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this prob seems weird for me to come here and look for advice, but im paying way too much $$$ to be in this class.

If i dont pass the skid pan next time around, i can get kicked out. Becuase i wont be able to move onto the next level!

Anywho, its really way too much to explain, and im too lazy to have to type it all out...

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever been on a skid pan before ? Or had some good experiance drifting?

Our skid pan is kept wet the whole time by a bunch of sprinklers and the cars are 2002 crown vics with slicks on the back. The teacher says it simulates a loss of control on ice or snow @ 60 mph.

The two turns are pretty much 90 degree turns, one is just longer and bigger than the other one.

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's an auto right? So as you go to turn into the second turn and switch up, drop it down a gear, without lifting, force a jolt into the rearend, this will make the car start to break loose. Example. Say if you are in 2nd, bump it into 1st, then back into 2nd. That way you are constanly under power and when you would have rpm drop and torque drop in the motor, you compinsate for it with a gear reaction to keep spining. It's worth a try. Also if that doesn't work, try a little left foot brake right as you go to snap the car the other direction. (STAY ON THE GAS WITH YOUR RIGHT FOOT THE WHOLE TIME) This will create a transfer in the cars weight balance real quickly, making it slide into the direction you are turning into.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this out at the Regional EVOC by Mather? If so, just give it a little gas, when the wheels spin, don't increase or decrease the throttle, control it with steering input. It's all about finesse and steering with your ass (which I know sounds weird). You have to be a step ahead of the car or it will snap quick. Small movements on the wheel and throttle. Start slow and just increase your speed each lap. Remeber to relax and keep a light grip, you don't have to muscle it at all.

--------------------

04DropTopGT
¯
Member # 5934

yeah, its out at mather on the evoc course.

I got everything else...just that damn skid pan.

Well I get one more chance to pass it...I'll just have to try it out again and hope that i can find that sweet spot.

How do you know about the evoc course? Have you been to it before?

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i can drift around a big fountain for about 10 laps [Whoo Whooooo!] shit is really fun

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510:
i can drift around a big fountain for about 10 laps [Whoo Whooooo!] shit is really fun

then bap into the fukkin curb. [Razz]
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Yeah I've been out there a few times for work. We are supposed to drive it annually, but that never works out. I'm usually on vacation.

Good luck with the pan, everyone gets the hang of it eventually. Just remember to roll on the powere, no sudden pedal movements.

The funny thing about that evoc is it really doesn't teach you anything about driving. Nor does the accident avoidance course. Most of it is just a bunch of crap.

I pissed off one instructor because I went out there and beat his best time on the auto-X course my first try.

--------------------

skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its all in the wheel flood the gas and then point the front end where you want it to go and control the rear with the gas the more gas the more sideways you get. the key the all driving is bering smooth so keep that in mind when in the slide, smooth movements.

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

The skid pan in question is unfortunately so unlike real driving that you can't control it with the throttle. It is polished (smooth) concrete, with sprinklers, and bald (Shaved) tires. Coefficient of friction is almost 0. It's ridiculous. The only point they are trying to get across is countersteering. The car will slide at 5mph with no effort.

--------------------

04DropTopGT
¯
Member # 5934

ahhh ok, thats how you know about it!

yeah they said its supposed to simulate hitting ice at 60mph :s

thats cool, ill try to remember that..Smooth.

see, we did the final driving course and i completed it no problemo, i also drifted the vic around the big"er" bend that is similar to the skid pan and i took her right on through.

I was like wtf? i can do it on dry pavment on the road course, but not on the freaking skid pan? i was kind of mad at myself.

Yeah some of the instructors are cool, others are a little more up tight, if you know what i mean. [Smile] -

totalkaos92
¯
Member # 5750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for totalkaos92  Ford pictures for totalkaos92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MY CLASS WAS THE SYDESHOWS. DRIFTING IS A PIECE OF CAKE. YOU DON'T JUST FLOOR IT, YOU WALK IT. FOR AN AUTO, ITS A LITTLE HARDER, YOU JUST SHIFT THE GEARS LIKE SOMEBODY HAD SAID BEFORE. STAY COOL, AND DONT FORCE THE WHEEL IN THE DIRECTION. IF IT FEELS LIKE TO MUCH GAS, THEN DOWN SHIFT AND FEATHER THE GAS.BRAKES WILL BARELY BE NEEDED. MAKE SURE TO KEEP THE SPEED AT THE RIGHT LEVEL AND YOU GOT IT. YOU SAID YOU ARE DOING THIS ON WATER RIGHT? I'VE BEEN THROUGH WATER,OIL,MUD.... DRIFTING IN JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING. GOOD LUCK WITH THE CLASS.

[burnout] [burnout] [burnout] [burnout]

Posts: 2175 | From: the bay area | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, so who wants to teach me how to drift?
after wanting to learn how to for so long and after watchin fast and the furious:tokyo drift i want to learn now.

TuxMask-Andy
¯
Member # 3615

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuxMask-Andy  Ford pictures for TuxMask-Andy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
me 2 i want to learn how to drift so one day i can be a DF drift king and get groupie hoes.

Seriously

Posts: 407 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by TuxMask-Andy:
me 2 i want to learn how to drift so one day i can be a DF drift king and get groupie hoes.

Seriously

wanna hit calavaras this weekend?
[burnout]
[burnout]

dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad to see so much interest in Drift amongst the Mustang crowd!
If you guys REALLY want to drift, I suggest coming out to one of the local drift events put on by NCDA or Drift Unit. I've been drifting my 5.0 with those clubs for over a year now, and its great practice.
Altamont is the closest track, and they repaved it especially for us to drift. Its great practice.
If you guys are serious about drifting, shoot me an email, Im thinking of setting up my own drift event with mustangs in mind.
http://dpracing.org/driftpatrol.html

NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that sounds sweet! i was in tx for a year, and drifting is a big thing out there i even bought a 240sx but never on a serious note thougt about drifting it, let me know the info!
04DropTopGT
¯
Member # 5934

hey, i'd be down to come out and watch...maybe even play a little...lol

on a side note. i was able to pass the skid pan after all...wasnt too hard after i was able to get some extra practice time in...

its ALL about counter steer, High Low High, looking where you want to go and High visual Horizen...

blu808
Member # 6905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blu808  Ford pictures for blu808  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey Dan whats up?

Yea guys keep it off the streets. Us drifters allready have a bad rep because of that. Check out ncda.net for upcoming events, and driftunit.com

The new track at altamont is awsome and very beginner friendly.

Here is a vid of me and george at the new track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFVEMnUdIg

--------------------
[img]http://guernsey.globat.com/~mountainracer.com/pics/driftaholic/lukesig.jpg[/img]

skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the best way to learn to drift is practice!
but in the mean time check out this sweet video of the chp drifting!

http://www.sspmustang.org/features/CHP-EVOC-Demo.avi

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

TT O3 COBRA
Member # 6930

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for TT O3 COBRA  Ford pictures for TT O3 COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Son you if you rally want to drift you need a manual car not automatic unless you are in the dirt.KEEP IT SAFE
Posts: 4 | From: N FRONT OF YOU 60 CARS PLUS | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com