Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Want to get started in road racing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to get started in road racing
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well i would like to buy a car albeit mustang or not to start road racing and be semi competitive. I just sighned up last night to join the scca.

I would love to compete in AI but how much realistically am i looking at spending in one season?

I would lopve to talk to a couple of you guys and hear what you have to say.

thanks Eric.

If anybody knows of anyone with a used race car for sale please let me know.

[patriot]

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, your first problem is joining the SCCA (sorry, biased oppinion). Its more beuracracy than anything else. Sure there are guys who can drive, but unless you have a full prepped Z06, you're out of the running.

Check out NASA, especially since they are the sanctioning body for the class you want to run, AI. There is also CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge) which is a great (Lower Budget) place to start. AI and AIX can cost quite a bit to be competitive. Additionally, NASA has the program to start you from square 1 all the way to professional racing with professional instructors.

There is an event this weekend at Thunderhill, up in Willows, AI, CMC, and FFR (cobras) will be running along with many others. It is Saturday and Sunday.

PM if you want more info

http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya, Hozr is correct. If you are just begining in Open Tracking and want to go road racing you are going to have to earn your competiton lic. NASA, is a better run group, IMO, as they don't just give them out after a 2 day class. You have to do the track time, and show you can drive first. Right now we are building my car for AI. I over modded it for CMC, so next run group it will barely squeeze into is AI. Trust me, it takes alot to get here. I have 4 years track experience, and I feel that I am ready, but know there is alot better guys out there.

First thing for you, you will need to run throught the HPDE levels if you have no experience. This will teach you the basics on how to handle the car, and how to drive the correct line fast, and most of all smoothly. If you have some experience, you can try and apply for a provisional lic, but it will not be easy, they will want to make you run a hpde event, and be monitored and your skill before they ok you to run in a race class. For info on the provisional, go here clicky.

For info on American Iron go here ---> AI

Info on Camaro Mustang Challenge ---> CMC

If you want competition without the door banging battles, I would do the NASA Time Trials. I have been running a few events with them, and its alot of fun. Check this out ---> NASA TT

If you need to start at the begining, and do HPDE go here ---> HPDE

For all the basic rules and regs, read this. It's important. NASA CCR

Any other info PM me. [patriot]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Too funny, I pm'd most of the same NASA info and it is dead on.

Got50 your mailbox is full. The car looks good, everything looks legal so far as I can tell (beautiful cage!), but it might be overdone for CMC (would have to read the specs closer - brakes might need to be swapped) It would definitely fit in AI. I have bought parts from those guys and they are pretty cool and straightforward. I would call them and ask them what class it's built for, it said CMC on the ad but I would double check. Other than that, it looks like a good deal for a prepped car. Actually looks like a great deal with all those parts. If you don't like it you could just part it and get your money back!!!

Andy

--------------------

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I called the guy hois name is Jon. The car has sat for the last two years. Just started up everyonce in a while. He said somthing about they cut the front of the car off and made it with de zues fastners so you can pretty much take the whole front end off with 6 screws. He was not sure what class it would fit in.

I would love to go to a hdpe event with you guys but weekday events are hard for me to make.

PS cleared out my mailbox.

Oo i also read somthing about a mentor program for begginers in nasa? Is it worth while?

Thanks again for all the info guys!!

Eric

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
bullitt4110
¯
Member # 6586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bullitt4110  Ford pictures for bullitt4110    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes the HPDE is worth it. In group 1 they will put a instructor in the car with you weather you want it or not. NASA is good because they do some HPDE events during the week. Those are fun because you get a lot of track time. If the front the car you are referring to is held on by zus fastners I dount it would be CMC because you arent aloud to modify the body reall at all in CMC. Well good luck and its a lot of fun.

--------------------
-2001 C5 Z06
-SOLD: Whippled 03 Cobra
-SOLD: Vortech'd 01 Bullitt #4110

Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Yeah, it sounds morte like an AI / AIX car than CMC. Nasa runs HPDE both during weedays and weekends. You get more track time during the weekdays since there is no racing, but the weekends are more of a party.... [dance]

A

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya, you got some pics/specs on the car, becuase it might be too modded for even AI. Either, way get some track time first and get comfortable before getting in the nitty gritty with everyone else.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it Jon Lindsey's car? A white fox GT? That car is very fast, but it is an AIX car, and it might be too far to go back to AI because he had some pretty good sized flares on if I remember correctly. By the way, he is one of the NASA officials.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

No, It's not Johns car. It's a red fox From the socal area. BTW, John is up here in Sac now...Not sure what happened to his car, that thing was SCARY Fast!

A

--------------------

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sic!

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com