Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Front tire sizing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Front tire sizing
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay...so I have heard on the corner carvers board that running a wider rear tire, and skinnier front is a bad idea for any sort of handling application. I figured I'd post this here to avoid getting the boot over there. I know the Mustang has a tendancy to push already, so putting more contact patch on the back would just further the problem unless you compensate on the front. That being said, what is the widest tire you can run on the front of a fox body mustang? I have already rolled the front fenders and don't mind doing what it will take. I was thinking 265's might be good to shoot for, as that would still provide adequate rear traction and I could run a matched set. The specifics of my situation are 1990 GT Hatchback (converted to an LX) and 17x9" Cobra Wheels on all four corners.

Thanks

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Posts: 1064 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The most popular size with Fox body track cars with rolled fenders is 275-40/17. You should be able to run those with 3 degrees negative camber. I run that sized Hoosiers on a 17x9 Cobra rim.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Roush #92:
The most popular size with Fox body track cars with rolled fenders is 275-40/17. You should be able to run those with 3 degrees negative camber. I run that sized Hoosiers on a 17x9 Cobra rim.

Well...I've caught a lot of flack for this idea too, but I do plan on street driving this car. I've been thinking about running the Falken Azenis RT-615's. Have you had any clearance issues to the inside with the 275's? Are you running a coil-over setup? Also, is there any clearance at all? I am thinking that on the street I will probably want to run a little less negative camber (1.5-2 degrees max). While I will eventually get a dedicated set of track (auto-x) wheels and tires, I am going to try to set the car up with a good set of street performance tires to get started...see how much fun I have before I go head-long into it.

[ February 15, 2006, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Casey90GT ]

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Posts: 1064 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car is a coilover setup. There is just enough clearance to the inside of the tire but the front end is setup with -2.5 degrees. The top edge of the tire is tucked under the fender lip. With less camber, there may be an issue with the top outside edge of the tire rubbing the fenderwell.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com