Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Racing School

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Racing School
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, i am planing on going to the San Francisco Region SCCA 2006 Driver Licensing School. and have a few questions:
Has anyone been to it?
Will i need a suit, gloves, shoes...or are they provided?
if i need them how much am i looking in expendatures? Is anyone selling them? or can i borrow someones gear?
Do i need a transponder? same questions as for gear.
what other unexpected fees are there that i have not mentioned?
ty for any help...i am very serious about this, but i just need to see if it is economically feasible right now. thanks

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One more... who knows the process if im only 17 (18 in march)

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For alot of the stuff you need check these sites out.

PIt Stop USA

Saferacer

IO Port

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The school is $550. You need a track car that meets SCCA regulations. It would be $1000-1300 to rent a spec Miata for the weekend. Gloves, suit, shoes are maybe $500. You can rent a helmet at Thunderhill for $25 a day. I think an SCCA membership is $45. Add 3 nights hotel and food. I would estimate the total to be around $2500.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Would my Cobra, with the mods in my sig, be an appropriate car to use? would i be allowed to?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does it have a SCCA spec roll cage, fire extinguisher, master electrical cutoof switch, etc?

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A street car is not going to qualify for either SCCA or NASA race series. That doesn't mean you can't run your car. You can but look at open track events. The requirements and costs are a lot less.
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your suit, shoes, socks, helmet ect you can buy at bell up in oakland.
do you own a second car? you will need it. if you have no racing experience you migh want to do some open trac events like nasa, greenflag, or shelby club. greenflag has alot less body contact than nasa. plus hpde events are normally covered on your insurance.......mike

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

well, i do have a camry also, but are you guys saying that car damage is almost innevitable? so, what yould you prefer? I want to get my racing permit/license. I only have my cobra as a racer but i do plan on continuing to drive it on the streets. and i would like to stay around 500 (excluding hotel and gear).

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ignore that comment from him on NASA. I run 96% of my event through NASA. Never once have I had body contact. I run in HPDE 4, so passing is unlimited. We run cleaner in the high groups then they do in the low groups. As in ANY group you run with, there is a possiblity of contact. There is also possiblity of contact on the street going to an event. So rule that NASA contact comment out the window. Autoracing is a dangerous sport, lying to yourself thinking its not is wrong. Just realise that something could happen. And that goes the same with drag racing too.

NORCAL NASA has revamped there whole system to eliminate any bad instructors or potential issues. They went as far as to release all the instructors and make them ALL re-apply. Thus weeding out any bad teachers. They have a great program going now, and i would highly reccomend it for beginners. You learn slowly and correctly. Unlike SCCA's race school, where it is a slam session over 1 weekend, and they say you are good to go. NASA's race directors won't even let SCCA race licened drivers go enter a race without prooving first that they are safe enough to be out there. The make them run in HPDE a at least one session first to be signed off, as skilled enough to enter a race with NASA. Ya there are lots of other good schools, don't get me wrong, but going through a few differnt ones, NASA has a great program, and offers alot as far as their teaching and staff goes.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

There's a lot to learn and a lot of fun to be had in open track events even before going for a competition license. I also recommend starting with one of those. You'll get a much better idea of what's involved, what it costs, and maybe how far you want to take it.

Try one of the clubs that focuses on instruction. SpeedVentures, NCRC, TrackMasters, and NASA have good programs for starting out. You don't need a suit. You can rent a helmet at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow and have a great weekend for around $500.

[ January 15, 2006, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Roush #92 ]

stangboi
¯
Member # 6315

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangboi  Ford pictures for stangboi    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can someone post a link so i can learn more about this stuff.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by stangboi:
can someone post a link so i can learn more about this stuff.

NASA's HPDE

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Todd Z28
¯
Member # 951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Z28  Ford pictures for Todd Z28  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.ncracing.org/

--------------------
'98 Z28 (almost stock)
AutoX #72 Street Mod
'68 Corvette
BSP-V #00
www.americanauto-x.com

kpl
¯
Member # 1879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpl  Ford pictures for kpl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you want to get a license and race, or run in opentrack type events?

you are probably better off running some opentrack events before you think more about wanting to go racing.

here is another option besides the ones already listed:
http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

[ January 17, 2006, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: kpl ]

--------------------
Kevin

Posts: 83 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com