Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Auto crossing! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Auto crossing!
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As a college student, I cant afford to do more than a couple track days a year, but I am starting to get into autocrossing with the scca, its much cheaper. In fact I am going next weekend at oakland with a couple friends.

I know the mustang isnt a very good car for auto crossing without extensive modifications, but does any one else on the boards here do auto crossing???

--------------------
04 GT

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also where do you recommend I buy an open face helmet that will work for scca. I dont really want a nice one, but I dont know where to start looking. thanks.

--------------------
04 GT

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where do they have autox in oakland, i might go check it out.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

you have to be an scca member, but sometimes they set up the cone course in the oakland coloseum parking lot... [Smile]

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/

--------------------
04 GT

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Auto-X is cool. You wear tires faster imo. Plus, to short of a rush for what it is.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look into www.americanauto-x.com

higher speeds, larger track, and laptimes that run near 1 minute rather than 30 seconds [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
green_fow_six
¯
Member # 6063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for green_fow_six  Ford pictures for green_fow_six    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can be pretty competitive in a Mustang. I autocrossed in St Louis scca for a few years and did ok. I haven't had a chance to hit SFR region yet. The best thing you can do whether you stay in stock or street prepared is get some r compound tires to be competetive.

You can check out some helmets at www.soloperformance.com they have some HJC snell certified open and full face helmets for around $70 I think. There is also helmetcity.com , they are based in Oakland.

Posts: 19 | From: Martinez, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought my helmet from a local motorcycle shop for around $59 on sale. Just make sure it is Snell approved.

Just run Street Tires. I am guessing you have some mods so Stock is out. I don't know of a single Mustang anymore that stays stock for more than a month.

I race the Sacramento chapter of SFR. I just ran Street Tire last year. I do miss the R compounds though. I am preping the car in the off season to take SS by storm. Just didn't have the time to get it ready this last year.

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
after crashing my car, i plan to do as many of the atwater events as possible next year.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
after crashing my car, i plan to do as many of the atwater events as possible next year.

haha yeah I bet! you arent going to make that mistake twice! Never got to tell you sorry man, I dont wish that on any one!

--------------------
04 GT

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

quote:
Originally posted by green_fow_six:
You can be pretty competitive in a Mustang. I autocrossed in St Louis scca for a few years and did ok. I haven't had a chance to hit SFR region yet. The best thing you can do whether you stay in stock or street prepared is get some r compound tires to be competetive.

You can check out some helmets at www.soloperformance.com they have some HJC snell certified open and full face helmets for around $70 I think. There is also helmetcity.com , they are based in Oakland.

I am sure you can be competitive, but some "respected opinions" told me that my car was going to push everywhere and not stop. So of course I believe them. . . I cant wait to go! I wish it was more than 3 runs, but I have a couple of older guys that I know real well and I should get some major hook ups on rides [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by 04Z06:
I bought my helmet from a local motorcycle shop for around $59 on sale. Just make sure it is Snell approved.

Just run Street Tires. I am guessing you have some mods so Stock is out. I don't know of a single Mustang anymore that stays stock for more than a month.

I race the Sacramento chapter of SFR. I just ran Street Tire last year. I do miss the R compounds though. I am preping the car in the off season to take SS by storm. Just didn't have the time to get it ready this last year.

E

thanks! Well, you obviously havent seen my car... Ive had it for 7 to 8 months or so now, and its pretty much stock. Ive done a bunch of crap to it, but almost all of it is asthetics I guess, except for a tri ax, and I put some cheap race pedals in for some better heal-toe action! [Smile] you know, the ones where you drill a couple holes in your stock pedals, and you bolt these ones up anywhich way you want them on there

So I plan on staying in the stock class. I will probably be getting gears soon, and my buddies reeeaallly want me to get some kind of suspension setup, even if its $200 springs [Roll Eyes]

so who knows.

But THANKS! for all your responses!

John

[ December 03, 2005, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Spitfiremk24 ]

--------------------
04 GT

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

quote:
Originally posted by blind:

higher speeds, larger track, and laptimes that run near 1 minute rather than 30 seconds [Big Grin]

its about 1.5 hours away, instead of 45 minutes though... and a bit more expensive...

but looks cool nonetheless!!!
thanks

--------------------
04 GT

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Spitfiremk24:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blind:

its about 1.5 hours away, instead of 45 minutes though... and a bit more expensive...

thanks
[/QU

I am also a newbe but i the few times ives been to at water i had a GREAT time. the people there are very nice regardless of what u drive, and some will be willing to drive with you to teach u. i cant wait till the next season.
hey, i just got kumho MX tires, are those pretty good ones?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
quote:

thanks
[/QU

I am also a newbe but i the few times ives been to at water i had a GREAT time. the people there are very nice regardless of what u drive, and some will be willing to drive with you to teach u. i cant wait till the next season.

I have been in the market for some new tires, and I really want to go with those Kumho ecsta MX's that you are talking about. Let me know how you like them!

--------------------
04 GT

alwaysracin
¯
Member # 5204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alwaysracin  Ford pictures for alwaysracin  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also auto-x..

Today I drove a CSP miata. fun run I drove a R32 VW and a newer Mustang.

I drove on the Kumho MXs a while ago.. really nice tires, last pretty good. although they are expensivem, I would still reccommend them.

later,
Scott Fraser

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
quote:

thanks
[/QU

I have been in the market for some new tires, and I really want to go with those Kumho ecsta MX's that you are talking about. Let me know how you like them!
i will let u know my take as soon as i get some good experiance with them
but for now i like them better than my s0-3s and the pilots ps2s they seem to stick pretty well.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

you like those kumhos, and you have had ps2s?! I hear ps2s are suposed to be where its at for performance street tire. But yeah some one mentioned that the MXs are expensive, but up next to the other kumhos they are one of the more expensive tires, but 140 per tire is dirt cheap compared to ps2s!

--------------------
04 GT

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think the MX's are one of the best for the price. but i'm an idiot [Frown]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Wow I had so much fun! I am really glad I went... but my tires arent...

When I got there, they were already in bad shape, especially the fronts, had no tread around the outside edges [Razz] from thunder hill with stock camber settings [Big Grin]

oh yeah I have about 15k miles on my OE tires [Frown] and now they have flat spots all over them. haha you can hear it even, it doesnt sound safe, its buggin me. So now its really time for new tires!

So I ran 35 psi on the fronts, and the backs are wearing evenly so i ran 30... did I make a mistake?

I went with a couple of buddies who sort of took me under their wing, as it was my first event, one guy drove my car, he is used to driving M3s, so he doesnt know how to drive a car without abs, and he doesnt know how to handle understeer. The result, he was embarrased. But he drove really really well in his M3s, and I got a bunch of rides from a lot of friendly people. There were a couple of other mustangs, and some sweet cars, and then some not so sweet ones.

HAHA the first car I rode in was a little CRX. the thing moved, I iwas really suprised, until he completely lost it in the slolom and I got tire spray in my eyes. [Eek!]

--------------------
04 GT

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

oh yeah, cool cars there were

a black C6 ZO6... if only he really drove it ... [Roll Eyes] I dont know... if you just blew 100k on one, would you punish it in the parking lot?

that new 'cedes slk amg, that thing scoots! and it sounds really cool! I just think it looks ugly.

an Ultima GTR... yeah the race car

a totally raced out m3.. the yellow one for you regulars.. that thing was quick

And some guy had a really nice old malibu.. I dont know anything about malibus so I cant tell you the year, but I think its 60s, and it was restod with chrome wheels and stuff, and he was FLOGGING it... it blew a head gasket too
[Frown]

--------------------
04 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
So I ran 35 psi on the fronts, and the backs are wearing evenly so i ran 30... did I make a mistake?

nah that sounds about right, the rears dont show any wear at all on my car after a weekend.

I've gone as high as 40psi in the fronts, it helps a lot with the understeer and gives the front some extra bite.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

quote:
quote:

nah that sounds about right, the rears dont show any wear at all on my car after a weekend.

I've gone as high as 40psi in the fronts, it helps a lot with the understeer and gives the front some extra bite.

I definately could have used that bite... I was really suffering from understeer, it really limited how fast I could drive the car.

--------------------
04 GT

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

I would have to agree here. I ran as high as 44 on the fronts in teh Cobra. Mustangs are way nose heavy and they need teh extra presure up front. The rears you will play with. I think in the Cobra I ran a spread of 44/35. Maybe 32-33 in teh rear. It is so hard to get the rears to hook up out of the corners.

E

Todd Z28
¯
Member # 951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Z28  Ford pictures for Todd Z28  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

thanks

You get 5 runs with AAS instead of 3 with SFR though, surface is better and the courses are faster. Should start up again end of Feb. hopefully I'll have the engine back in by then [Big Grin] .
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

quote:
Originally posted by 04Z06:
It is so hard to get the rears to hook up out of the corners.

yeah geeze out of every corner I couldnt give it much gas without losing traction in 2nd gear. 2ND gear! in a stock GT!

so, naturally, I floored it and got sideways out of every single turn. [patriot]

[ December 21, 2005, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Spitfiremk24 ]

--------------------
04 GT

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com