Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Weld Racing Rims on an AX car?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Weld Racing Rims on an AX car?
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are Weld Draglites strong enough to hold up to the abuse of road racing or autoxing? Would something like a 15 x 8 wheel up front bend on you in a hard corner?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No but the tires would have such a tall sidewall it would handle like poo!

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can't recall if it was Weld or Centerline, but one of them used to say on the wheels "Not for Roadracing use"

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Wesley Paik
¯
Member # 1425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wesley Paik  Ford pictures for Wesley Paik    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:
I can't recall if it was Weld or Centerline, but one of them used to say on the wheels "Not for Roadracing use"

You are exactly right. I have a set (weld stars) on my 67 camaro and it specifically lists that warning. I am not sure what is the purpose of the construction (maybe for weight savings) but when the stars are actually off the vehicle the face plates become two loose pieces with an inner solid center piece(Does that make any sense). You can actually insert a flathead in the gap. They don't seem to be able to withstand any side to side flexing.

Of course the draglights probably at least don't have this sandwich issue. YMMV

[ April 11, 2005, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Wesley Paik ]

Posts: 13 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On their site they do say for some of their wheels that they are intended for drag racing only, however there isn't much information about what else they can be used for.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com