Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Brake cooling

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Brake cooling
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just wanted to post some pictures of the brake cooling set up I am making up for my race car so that everyone can see how easy it is to fab this up. Cooling your front brakes with a rush of cool incoming air makes a ton of difference when you are out on the track lap after lap. I've made this kit for many customers who have been amazed at the difference at the track. It is also a very cheap alternative for cars running on the edge of whatever the brakes limits are. Certainly beats running out and spending tons of cash on high $ rotors and calipers when your system is almost enough but not quite perfect. My particular combo is my 1990 notch which I swapped a GT front end on mainly to use this set up. You'll need the GT front end to make this install a snap on fox bodies though it can be done on LX front ends it is much more time consuming. Newer mustangs most likely will already have provisions for the front duct mounts if fog lights are present. This is still a work in progress as I've yet to purchase the brake duct hose to complete the install.

-

Here you see the two mounting items for the cooling kit. Top item is a common 6" duct which slides over the rear opening where the 'ol fog lights used to be. This 6" duct is coupled with a 3" adapter which mates to your brake duct hose. The 6" portion is fastened to the fog light opening with rivets and the 3" coupler is riveted to the 6" duct. All this duct work can be had at home depot for about $5 a pop. The lower item in the picture is a short section of 3" exhaust pipe with a bracket I welded on to secure the mount to the bottom caliper mount. I imagine this would run you about $5 as well. Seal all duct seams with any type of air tight sealant to get the most out of the kit

-

Here you see the front mounting location for your 3" brake duct hose. Notice the plastic bumper is clearanced for fitment.

-

Here is the forward mount from the front of the car just waiting to pick up all that fresh air to feed the brakes

-

Lastly the mount which fastens to the lower caliper bolt and directs fresh air right to the backside of the rotor. I think the major expense with this kit is the actual brake duct hose which will run you anywhere from $50-$60. I would guess you could build this kit for under $100 Duct size will very between years.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
9COBRA8
CaliforniaFords.com Owner
Member # 6

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 9COBRA8  Ford pictures for 9COBRA8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome tech post [Eek!] Thanks for taking the time to post that [patriot]
Posts: 1668 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well this one was long over do to complete so I figured I'd update this some with one of my customers cars we put this kit on. It's a touch different than my own car pictured above but it does give you an idea of how to do it.

-

-

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
2005GTskip
¯
Member # 4885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2005GTskip  Ford pictures for 2005GTskip    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice.. [worship] going to try it on my 00 GT and i have the 03 bumper so i can just tap into the other hole by the fog lamps.. [dance] [Whoo Whooooo!] [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
2005 Gt

Posts: 294 | From: Discovery bay,California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com