Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Drifting (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Drifting
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's the point? Isn't traditional Corner Carving much much faster? Why would someone want to slow down to make a turn...just cause it looks cool [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i thought you didnt slow down for drifting (thats why you drift so bad & dont loose momentum) and when you cut a corner you have to kinda slow down to hit the turn [Confused]
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PeNiNsula302:
i thought you didnt slow down for drifting (thats why you drift so bad & dont loose momentum) and when you cut a corner you have to kinda slow down to hit the turn [Confused]

tradition driving you slow down slightly to hit the apex so you you can lay down the hammer coming out of the turn. Drifting is like doing a burnout, you see how slow those car are going in S curves, they are just moving sideways and not getting any power or momentum in the right direction. If drifting was faster why wouldn't F1 cars, the cart series, NASCAR, BUSCH, IROC, etc. drift turns, I just find it stupid that you want to take a turn slower than it could possibly be made. Is the point just to invoke and use a certain skill and technique such as drifting and make the car "drift" as fast as possible rather than get the fastest time that is possible. Anyone knowledgeable about this stuff. We don't have any ricers here so I know it will be hard to get an answer. Where are all you road racers at, 1sicgt, mtbaughs, bill/apex, cosmo, someone has to know [Confused]

--------------------

-Me

65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
because any one that has drifed before and not just gunned while they were turning and had the back end slide out and you made it look like you knew what you were doing but were scareed shit less. drifting is one of the funnest things to do in a car to come around a croner completly side ways and still be going sides ways done the straight away and have every one look at you and pull it back in smoothly with out spilling your girlfriends soda. that is what my opionioun is on drifting just for the pure thrill of it. and any one who knows about drifinting can really admire the skill that is involved to keep it going smoothly and looking good.
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it may require skill, but it also requires skill to race and drink a hot cup of coffee. both are about equal in worth during a race, in which the point is to drive the course in the fastest time. of course it's fun, so are donuts [Razz] drifting is good in a race only in Project Gotham Racing

and don't you really have to have a FWD car to drift right?

[ April 06, 2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: zpyro35 ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by zpyro35:

and don't you really have to have a FWD car to drift right?

yes, only fwd hondas

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

GradGT
¯
Member # 3910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GradGT  Ford pictures for GradGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how can you drift on asphalt with a FWD car? you really cant.
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

no the best drift cars a rear wheel because it's easier to get the back end out. Yes I can admire the skill it takes to do this. This is what I'm wondering though, is the skill the only point because if this is the case, I can't believe anyone would build their car to drift and not really go as fast as possible. It's like having a show car with a power adder [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

-Me

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I have thought, Grip vs. Drift driving style differs in many ways. With Drift style, turn-entry speeds are somewhat higher when compared to traditional grip-style car, which usually brake in a straight line before entering the turn-thus maximizing turn exit speed.

Suspension-wise, I know that coil-over setups differ greatly between grip & drift from weight distribution due to the car's body entering the turn, as grip-style cars weight is transferred to the front of the car (braking in a straight line) while drift cars generally enter the car at a somewhat 45* angle into the turn, sending weight to ONE side (drivers/pass.) during the turn.

Drifting isn't necessarily faster, just a different type of turning style that has been dominating the Import scene ever since import high-hp RWD cars have entered the road-racing scene.

DropTopFox asked why NASCAR, BUSCH, and other professional racing associations don't drift. I believe because it breaks down into how the cars are built and the tracks where they are raced upon. From what I have seen with NASCAR, they don't use MANY curvy (other than Sears Point) road-racing type tracks out of the 23-ish courses they use. They are also super grippy, gutted, finely-tuned machines that don't need to be drifted into turns to make fast times, since the drivers main mission is to not lose traction through the turn. Most of the tracks used in NASCAR, BUSCH, IROC are speedways or super-speedways for tight racing, photograph finishes, high spectator involvement=profits, etc. F1 cars are high speed machines that seem to be the epitome of grip-style as they can approach the tightest turns at the highest speeds possible, but they are million+-doller machines so you should get what you pay for right? [Wink]

Drifting "meets" are based on many things, the style/skill of the driver, fluidity of the cars movement, turn entry, times etc. Some contests pit multiple drivers againest each other in super-curvy tracks to see who can get the best times for the trophy. To watch a pro-drifter work around a twisty track makes it seem efforless how the car sways so easily and so fast. However, with any turning style, a driver who can REALLY control the car to the limit of adhesion/control deserves props.

In terms of whats faster (grip vs. drift) they seem about even considering how they focus upon different things (turn entry/exit speed) and setups widely vary to each driver since everyone has a specific style of how they want the car to behave on the track. They are too many variables to see who will churn lower times on a track (track style, power/weight ratio, susp. setup,etc) so it may all boil down to what you like personally.

The consensus around the US from what I have seen is that drifting has gained considerable popularity over time (ae86, AWD craze, etc) since it is exotic and completely different when compared to our drag racing scene today. Some believe that "drifting" is just throwing your car into a turn as fast as possible(not true)since higher H.P/speeds merit SOME driver skill to do it throughout the whole track and churn out times close to grip-style racers, without crashing. FWD cars can drift BTW, but they aren't as popular as the mainstays that ricers drool upon (Silvia, Pandas, etc) .

To each their own it seems. [patriot]

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well drifting is certainly picking up a lot of attention lately. I've even heard several road racers getting into the idea. I think it's appeal mainly comes in the form that it is more of a thrill for the crowd to watch. The average person watching a race I think doesn't have much of an idea of what hitting the apex is and what heel-toeing a car involves. Either driving style I feel requires a great deal of skill. In drifting one needs to know how fast they can approach any given turn. Things such as the degree of the turn and the cars breaking point. How much speed to carry into what degree turn. There are similar but different factors with traditional road racing as well. As far as which car would make it out of the turn faster this is tough when I first pondered the question to myself. One would think right off that the car doing the drifting was faster. Many would think that one doesn't lift going into the turn and that they just keep the pedal to the floor. I don't think this is the case unless their car is under powered from the typical race cars. From the vids I've seen of drifting the cars tend to enter into a turn at a reduced speed. A speed of which will be as fast as it can be without losing total control in the turn. This is where I think a road race car would take them. Yes the road race car brakes going into the turn but a good driver will run full throttle up as far into the turn as the cars brakes will allow. The goal here is to get through the turn with the least amount of braking and the most amount of throttle. Also of note. If a car is drifting in the turn itself wheres the cars forward momentum at? It's not propelling the car forward at this point since all 4 wheels are in a drift. A car will always make it through a turn fastest carrying the most amount of speed while still driving the tires. Anytime the tires lose contact your car isn't moving as fast as it could be if there was contact. Look at it this way. 2 top fuel dragsters both of which could easily light the tires up all the way down the track. Sure the one spinning the tires would make it down the track but the one that sticks the tires would win hands down. A road race car would carry a lot more speed coming into the turn than a car preparing to drift. Also the car that is under control would be able to follow a tighter line through the turn. If your wheels are drifting steering, and throttle are affected.

[ April 07, 2004, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drifting is dirt track driving on asphalt.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GradGT:
how can you drift on asphalt with a FWD car? you really cant.

I've seen a news clip a long time ago about kids in their hondas having drifting races in Japan or something like that. they use their e-brake to break the rear loose.

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You just hate everything don't you?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

So it's exactly what I expected, it's a style not a speed thing. I admire the skill it takes hwoever do not get the point of it. It may look cool but I would never do this for competition. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't just imagining that grip driving was faster because of the amount of cars drifting these days. I think it's also proven here that if drifting was truly faster, then Nascar drivers would set their cars up this way for the road tracks. Thanks for the replies guys [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

quote:
Originally posted by NotchBack 90:
Sounds to me like you need to grow some balls and drift son! Ever seen the supra video drifting at like 80MPH..... it's called driving on the limit! Fuck the limit.... it about driving on no limits! [Razz]

Or I could grow some real balls and take the turn a whole shit load faster [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

-Me

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

oh I forgot...SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

-Me

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry drifting is pure showboating, and is NOT legal in almost all forms of track racing. Why waste tires for nothing. I'd rather be the guy passing the focker wasting his tires, while I hit the apex much faster.

Oh and SON, when you get balls to go to the track a show us how you drift, let us know, I bet our times are still faster.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

I'd assume there is skill in side shows too huh [Roll Eyes] [Confused]

--------------------

-Me

azl
¯
Member # 2112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for azl  Ford pictures for azl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
come on guys... airplanes have been doing aerobatics for decades... cars can do it for points just the same. everybody knows it isn't racing and it appeals to a different type of person.

i'm sure, with the right (well, right for drifting) sway bar, those FWD hondas will oversteer worse than a 300hp mustang on the gas.

Roush #92 is right: drifting is ice racing / dirt track racing that evolved into 4-wheel figure skating on asphalt. it's not new, it's not gay, it's not going to take over the world. it's simply another good reason for car makers to continue to build sports cars instead of hybrid sedans. and we all want that.

--------------------
Daniel
94 canary yellow GT

GradGT
¯
Member # 3910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GradGT  Ford pictures for GradGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
using the ebrake to drift though is kinda pointless because you lose sooo much speed. looks neat, but its not practical.

and people have been doing sideshows and stuff for years, drifting is just like... taking sideshows to the track I guess.

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

quote:
Originally posted by GradGT:
using the ebrake to drift though is kinda pointless because you lose sooo much speed. looks neat, but its not practical.

and a lame bodykit, 5' erector set wing, 500lbs. of stereo equipment and taking out a seat to save weight is practical? I think ricer is an antonym for practical [Razz]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

GradGT
¯
Member # 3910

hahaha yes, ricers are the epitamy of unpracticality
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow, I am suprised to see the lack of knowledge of drifing in here.

Drifting is a sport which a lot of Japanese folks take part in. In fact, they have a drift circuit called "D1". It is an UNBELIEVABLE feeling purposely getting your car sideways (while still in control).

The EASIEST way to drift is via RWD car.. This is a SPORT just like nascar, drag racing, auto x, etc..

The whole point is to get as SIDEWAYS as possible, as close to the edge of the track as possible, and judges rate your run.

If any of you are interested PLEASE download "The Drift Bible" this will show you how it is done, and how SICK it is getting your car sideways.

PLEASE, some of you may think you know how to "drift", DO it somewhere safe, not on local streets and such.. not to mention you dont want to practice near curbs..

Ohh By the way, Drifting is not %100 about speed. Drifting is about getting your car sideways, not who wins first.

[ April 11, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: imbroken ]

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
fastrdnu
¯
Member # 3797

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastrdnu  Ford pictures for fastrdnu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont confuse "lack of knowledge" with sensibility and apathy.

--------------------
If your perception of cool grammar is putting a capital letter in the middle of a word, you're an idiot.

Posts: 247 | From: Hayward/Oakland/Concord | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

quote:
Originally posted by imbroken:
not %100 about speed ... not who wins first.

lol, the anthem of ricers everywhere [Razz]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com