Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Non FORD help/advice....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Non FORD help/advice....
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my uncle has a '00 Honda Civic EX and we were at a light and the car started to sputter/jerk pretty bad. We tried to pull over but the more gas he gave it the harder it jerked kinda like transmission issues. Well before we made it to the parking lot it straight cut off on us and would not turn on for the life of it. Long story short we got it to start with a new coil & cap/rotor but runs extremely rough for a couple seconds then cuts off. I took my compression tester to his house and well the car started right away with spark plug #4 out which was COMPLETLEY black(0 miles on plugs). Cylinders 2/3 had good compression but 1/4 cylinders were barely over 100 PSI. I'm assuming the valves are burnt in the head? Am I right? My uncle is just trying to evaluate if the car is worth fixing or just get rid of it. If its just the valves I'll have him buy new ones and I'll swap them out. Oh sorry forgot to mention when we got the car running without the #4 spark plug in there was A LOT of fuel coming out the tail pipe so we shut it off fast. Or if anyone is interested in the car I can let him know. Its a 2-door 5-speed in real good condition minus the issue right now it even passed smog like 2 weeks ago I think.

[ 2018-02-13, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: NEIGHT ]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unplug the injector, not the plug. Any signs of a blown head gasket?
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Unplug the injector, not the plug. Any signs of a blown head gasket?

I took out the plug to check compression. We weren't trying to start the car it kinda turned on instantly without the plug. With the plug in it hesitates bad. I checked his oil and it all looks fine. I'm just trying to see if my theory is right about the valves because he said if it's just the valves he'll have me swap it out if not he's done with the car because he still has 2 more. I've been doing a little reading online and it seems quite a few people burnt their valves. I think I'm going to pull the head off this weekend for him and see what's going on.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Possible timing belt issue

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Possible timing belt issue

You think so? He changed it less than two years ago.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com