Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » necessary fan size for 3 core radiator // overheating

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: necessary fan size for 3 core radiator // overheating
BayAreaNotch
Member # 12248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BayAreaNotch  Ford pictures for BayAreaNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just bought and installed a 3 core radiator in my notch build. looks great but I'm having a bit of an overheating issue. I have a 12'' electric fan that I manually turn on when I go for a ride.

it seems as if one fan is just not enough. Would Running 2 fans fix my problem? I believe I bled the coolant correctly. or whats the best advice for a 3 core?

Any help is appreciated.

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not the size of the fan that matters it's how much air they move. Lots of people have had success with a junkyard Taurus or mark viii fan. Aftermarket would be a black magic. Any aftermarket fan needs to be high quality/higher priced fan to get the job done.
Have you upgraded to a 3G alt. You are going to need the juice to run a good fan

[ 2016-12-05, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 go with Ford Taurus or Contour they have the dual fan setup perfect fit
Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would not use a contour/taurus fan although many have been successful.
i had a contour ran with a switch yea that was fine, until i got the sensors for it to be turned on automatically and it kept popping fuses.

i went with a black magic and at most it stays on for 1min at a time,as soon as it turns on, i just watch the temps drop almost instantly.

i have a 2 core and it fits fine. a 3 core could be done.

if you dont want to spend black magic price go with the lmr or am dual electric fans with their controler.

also do yourself a favor and just replace the thermostat with a fail safe thermostat.

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Few questions....are you using an after market gauge or the one in the dash. what temp thermostat
standard or high flow water pump and is it the correct rotation also check to see if the rad hoses have a spring in them so they don't collapse

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
93 interceptor
¯
Member # 9457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 interceptor  Ford pictures for 93 interceptor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also have a 3 core radiator. I have contour dual fans on my 308 h/c/I and temps are low. Just make sure to go with a 3G alternator. Run a thick enough wire for install on fans. And make sure you install 2 relays and you won't have to worry about fuse popping.

--------------------
1993 Ex-chp
" Drive it till da wheels FALL OFF and then SOME!!!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com