Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cam suggestions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cam suggestions
Billy Bob
¯
Member # 9412

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Bob  Ford pictures for Billy Bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello I need help finding out what cam I should run 1991 5.0 notch with my set up. It's a 306 with AFR 185 heads,(still trying to figure out what rocker size) 30 lb injectors, Long tube headers, CAI, typhoon upper and lower intake for now. It will be for street and highway use

--------------------
JACK SWAG

Posts: 293 | From: Your chicks house | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Comp Xe282hr. Great midrange and cam that will pull upwards to 6500. Run that with a 1.6 and ALWAYS check ptv and pushrod length.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Comp cam xe270hr if you supercharge it down the road or anderson n41 if you plan to stay all motor.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
b31hr for supercharge or nitrous and n-71 for na both from anderson motorsports

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
Billy Bob
¯
Member # 9412

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Bob  Ford pictures for Billy Bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
Comp Xe282hr. Great midrange and cam that will pull upwards to 6500. Run that with a 1.6 and ALWAYS check ptv and pushrod length.

What is ptv?

--------------------
JACK SWAG

1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sick91  Ford pictures for 1Sick91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ptv = piston to valve clearance.
Posts: 217 | From: Vacaville, Ca | Registered: May 2006  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Bob:
quote:

What is ptv?
Piston To Valve. You have to check for clearance otherwise you can potentially hit a piston with your valve. I've seen it before(not on my cars) and its not a pretty scene it'll cost you $$$$.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Billy Bob
¯
Member # 9412

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
quote:

What is ptv?
Piston To Valve. You have to check for clearance otherwise you can potentially hit a piston with your valve. I've seen it before(not on my cars) and its not a pretty scene it'll cost you $$$$.
How do I check for that clearance?

--------------------
JACK SWAG

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gotta get some playdoe take the heads off place the play doe on the valve reliefs put your heads back on torque your heads make sure you have the gasket on put your roller rockers on that cylinder and rotate motor one whole rotation then take off cylinder heads and check the play doe with a micromtor and see how much clearnace you have should be more than .080 on the intake and .100 on the exhuast hope this helps

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
quote:

What is ptv?
How do I check for that clearance?
You'll need:
Play-doh or clay whatever you feel like using(play-doh works best)
Check valve spring
Valve spring compressor to remove valve spring

Once you have those you install the heads with gasket and everything and you turn the motor over a few times then pull it off and check the impression to see how much clearance you have. It's kind of a long process but it's better to check it now than later having it hit and you have to replace your piston/valve and get your heads reworked.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FTI knows SBF AFR combinations as good as anyone. They can set you up with a cam, rockers and all that. http://flowtechinduction.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com