Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 87 Foxbody oil pressure guage not working

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 87 Foxbody oil pressure guage not working
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So after I started my car first time after the build, 'my oil pressure gauge does not work. I know for a fact before I put the motor in we tested the oil pressure with the drill and was working. I have a new sending unit on it. I'm not sure what it can be. Also have an aftermarket rear sump with no oil pressure sensor on it. Can that be the reason why?
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a mechanical one with a copper line and call it a day

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1fastmach1:
get a mechanical one with a copper line and call it a day

Will do! Thank you
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you say you tested it with a drill you mean prime the oil pump?

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yup just buy a mechanical oil pressure gauge and do not use the plastic line it comes with.
spend about $10-15 more for the copper line. it has the same install as the plastic and you dont have to worry about the plactic cracking and having a unknown oil leak.

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford changed the sending unit in 88. Previously they were 1969 to 1987 the same (part number was updated in 1984). Not sue what the change was for 88. Did you get the right one?

[ 2016-12-15, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: KevinK ]

Posts: 197 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you go to an electronics parts store and get a 10 ohm and 75 ohm resistor? Connect the 10 ohm resistor between ground and the sensor wire. The gauge should read max high. Connect the 75 ohm resistor between ground and the sensor wire. The gauge should read min low. You can do the same resistor test with the temp gauge. This test will tell you if the problem is with the sending unit or upstream.
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

I solved it. Just bought a mechanic gauge. Pressure is at 60lb. It's good

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com