Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Aftermarket throttle body and cai question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Aftermarket throttle body and cai question
Jfowler1986
Member # 14445

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jfowler1986  Ford pictures for Jfowler1986    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey everyone,
Just signed up to this great forum, I just bought a 1989 mustang gt as my daily driver the other day, but she needed some tlc, I'm getting the stock mid pipe and manifold installed now (darn ca emissions) but my question is the car has a bkk throttle body with a bbk spacer and a bbk cai, problem is that there aren't any o-e carb stamps or stickers but I looked online in dmv website and from what I think i gathered is that they're exempt from smog regulations, can anyone shed light on this?? Or so i need to go out and buy carb approved throttle body and intake.
Thank you
Josh

--------------------
3.7 and proud.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are smog legal. The BBK throttle body and spacer have the CARB-EO stamped on them. For the CAI they have a number on their website that has the CARB-EO number, I think you can request a sticker from them.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Jfowler1986
Member # 14445

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jfowler1986  Ford pictures for Jfowler1986    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool, I'll check the throttle body and intake again, I didn't see any carb number stamped on them, but I get the car back from the muffler shop today and I'll check more thoroughly.

--------------------
3.7 and proud.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jfowler1986:
Cool, I'll check the throttle body and intake again, I didn't see any carb number stamped on them, but I get the car back from the muffler shop today and I'll check more thoroughly.

It's stamped right on top next to where it says BBK.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car passed with both of those installed. Here is a link for the CAI with the carb number. You can print this out for the smog people. Like Neight said, the carb numbers for the throttle body and spacer should be on the top.
When I had my smog check, I listed all the upgrades I did along with the CARB numbers for each. He checked my list with a visual, then he checked the CARB site for the numbers.

...and yes, the smog "rules" are a huge PITA!!

https://lmr.com/item/BBK-1557/1989-93-Mustang-V8-Bbk-Fenderwell-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit

[ 2016-09-16, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Marks93 ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com