Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Blowing 150 amp fuse ( battery relocated )

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Blowing 150 amp fuse ( battery relocated )
BayAreaNotch
Member # 12248

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for BayAreaNotch  Ford pictures for BayAreaNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently did a battery relocation on my notch. I ran a stranded 0/2 awg welding wire from the solenoid to the trunk with an inline 150 amp fuse in between. I went to get the car washed and forgot to turn off my fan. Its a manual fan with toggle switch. (Still need to get into habit) I tried turning the car on. It cranked over a bit and then blew the 150 amp fuse. I replaced the fuse and drove it for a while to charge the battery up a bit. I let it sit for about an hour and when trying to turn it on it cranked over like a low battery and blew the 150 amp fuse again.

I am running a 3G alternator. Will i need a higher rating fuse because of the 3G alternator.? Maybe 200 amp? The car turned on no problem and never blew the fuse until the battery went low. Any suggestions?

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Starters surge at 200A-250A with a constant draw of 125A-150A. Also, you need to use a circuit breaker, not a fuse. You typically want to size a fuse/breaker so that it has a 20% reserve. So in this case, with a 250A surge load, you'd want to probably go with a 300A breaker.

[ 2016-07-09, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BayAreaNotch
Member # 12248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BayAreaNotch  Ford pictures for BayAreaNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Starters surge at 200A-250A with a constant draw of 125A-150A. Also, you need to use a circuit breaker, not a fuse. You typically want to size a fuse/breaker so that it has a 20% reserve. So in this case, with a 250A surge load, you'd want to probably go with a 300A breaker.

Sounds good. I will be on the look out for a 300 amp circuit breaker. Im not quite sure I've seen those before. Do they sell them at any auto store? So a 300 amp breaker will pop if I have a short on the positive wire some where in the body?
89_Faleen
¯
Member # 10728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89_Faleen  Ford pictures for 89_Faleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to any audio shop they should have them in stock.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com