Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » lower degree thermostat do they work?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: lower degree thermostat do they work?
fordpar
¯
Member # 12822

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fordpar  Ford pictures for fordpar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 1994 bone stock 5.0 GT temp gauge is either out of wack or ? when I turn on the AC the gauge INSTANTLY like an electric light bulb goes up about an eigth of dial bordering on red. Does not Puke anti freeze or smell hot . I thought of putting a mechanical gauge on but would like to maybe cool it down a little more anyway! Would a lower temp thermostat help/ Thanks in advance!
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have found the mass majority of the 94/94 temp gauges to be inaccurate.
180 is the lowest you want to run on a computer controlled car, otherwise it will stay in open loop.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I had my '95 it wasn't the cool t-stat that kept the car cool..it was to make sure the electric fan stayed on when when I needed it (I lowered the parameters via tweecer). Also making sure the radiator/coolant were in tip top shape...prevented any boil ups (my car was cammed, aluminum headed and supercharged car so it had more heat going through it than a stock car). I had no heating issues whatsoever...

Turning the A/C on should actually enable the electric fan to initiate (low/high speed) and actually cool the car down more....

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fordpar:
My 1994 bone stock 5.0 GT temp gauge is either out of wack or ? when I turn on the AC the gauge INSTANTLY like an electric light bulb goes up about an eigth of dial bordering on red. Does not Puke anti freeze or smell hot . I thought of putting a mechanical gauge on but would like to maybe cool it down a little more anyway! Would a lower temp thermostat help/ Thanks in advance!

If you are getting a massive heat spike like this with the AC (assuming the gauge is even remotely accurate) there will be something else going on.

I would say run a mechanical gauge first to be sure.

It could be something as simple as a fan not coming on, bad gauge ect.

First thing to do is get an accurate reading.

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST
2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium

Posts: 580 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Sep 2014  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com