Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel pump issues....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel pump issues....
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I finally finished building my fox and now when I'm trying to start it up my fuel pump is not turning on at all. Is there anything I should be checking for? I have a new 255lph fuel pump installed and I changed out the whole motor harness for a new one to avoid electrical problems. I'm sure it's something simple but I'm kinda frustrated at this point because the fuel pump will not turn on at all. I want to check other things before I drop the tank and all that because I have quite some fuel in there which makes it hard for me to do it all myself like I've been doing.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
jo_arce02
¯
Member # 11777

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jo_arce02  Ford pictures for jo_arce02    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
inertia switch, and or fuel pump relay???
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jo_arce02:

+2 Double check the wiring since you're running new wiring. Do you hear your fuel pump on when you try to crank it from the ignition? I'm myself about to get my shit running hopefully my fuel pump turns on the first try.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by i:
quote:
Originally posted by jo_arce02:

+2 Double check the wiring since you're running new wiring. Do you hear your fuel pump on when you try to crank it from the ignition? I'm myself about to get my shit running hopefully my fuel pump turns on the first try.
I've reset the inertia switch and tried starting it after every time I pressed it, no luck. No the pump never turns on no matter if its the second click or I try to crank it'll just crank and crank with no pump action. [Frown] I guess my next step is to follow all the wires thru the car but I was kinda hoping people would know common problems when this happens so I can check that out first.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Grab a test light and test for power at the fuel pump harness at the back of the car.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know the background on the car, but if this was a 4 banger conversion, the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat on my `89 4 banger was just a dummy empty black box, once I swapped in a real relay from the donor car the fuel pump worked.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
I don't know the background on the car, but if this was a 4 banger conversion, the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat on my `89 4 banger was just a dummy empty black box, once I swapped in a real relay from the donor car the fuel pump worked.

No it's not a conversion, I've owned this car for 5 years and drove perfectly fine I just wanted to go a lot faster so I swapped motor and suspension. I'm going to buy a new fuel pump relay today just to see if that maybe fixes it, if not it's only $20 and I'll have a new relay not to worry about later. I hope it's something this simple. When yours didn't have the relay connected the pump never turned on?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

No it's not a conversion, I've owned this car for 5 years and drove perfectly fine I just wanted to go a lot faster so I swapped motor and suspension. I'm going to buy a new fuel pump relay today just to see if that maybe fixes it, if not it's only $20 and I'll have a new relay not to worry about later. I hope it's something this simple. When yours didn't have the relay connected the pump never turned on?
that's pretty much how relay's work. Relay's are $1.50 though, not $20

At the fuel relay junction, you can test for voltage when the key is on to see if you have power to that point.

Then you can test for voltage outside the tank at the tank harness juction before it goes to the top of the tank and connects to the pump to see if you have power there. You can also test for voltage at the cutoff inertia switch by the taillight, and you can test if that switch works by hitting it with a small hammer - you'll see the button pop up.

At any of these points, once you identify what is +12v and ground going to the fuel pump, you can run wires to a 12v battery and test if that will make the pump turn on. It's really a very simple process to test everything.

[ 2016-03-24, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ok I'll do that. Thanks

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Find the underhood EEC diagnostic connector near your drivers side shock tower and ground pin A to turn on the fuel pump manually --- http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/245234/fullsize/dlc-eeciv.jpg This will also make the green relay under your seat click if you have someone hold it to feel the click.
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Grab a test light and test for power at the fuel pump harness at the back of the car.

This.1st thing you always do in this situation lol

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trace back the wiring. Start from the back and see if you have power.. if not, go down the line. Process of elimination before you start throwing parts at it. Also, not sure if it applies to your car, but there should be a relay under your driver seat I believe. See if it's clicking over.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com