Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » starting problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: starting problems
foxbody925
¯
Member # 14311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxbody925  Ford pictures for foxbody925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi everyone I've got a 1989 foxbody mustang that I had purchased a few day's ago the problem I had noticed that it had to be jumped to be started, did that took it home didn't start it till I got up at around 12:00 pm went to try and turn it over no volts power bought a brand new battery this morning same problem, what could this issue be bad alternator? or starter? Solenoid? if anyone's got any advice that can help me with this would be appreciated.
Posts: 15 | From: Antioch c.a | Registered: Feb 2016  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start the car and disconnect the battery. If it stays on then your alternator is fine. If it turns off then your alternator needs to be replaced.

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
foxbody925
¯
Member # 14311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxbody925  Ford pictures for foxbody925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alright will try it once I get home off work thank you for the advice
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the car having an efi system I wouldn't go disconnections battery cable while it's running. You can take that shit to autozone and they will read it on the car no problem, hell you can get the 5 dollar multi meter from harbor freight put that shit at 20v and turn the car on. If it read 12 or lower you have a bad alternator if it's 14+ your good. That's to test the alternator

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
foxbody925
¯
Member # 14311

thank you everyone for The advice I just went and picked up an Optimo battery fired right up no problem first try I guess it don't like shit Walmart/auto zone batteries topic close
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by foxbody925:
thank you everyone for The advice I just went and picked up an Optimo battery fired right up no problem first try I guess it don't like shit Walmart/auto zone batteries topic close

That doesn't necessarily mean your problem is fixed just so you know

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
use a multi meter and set it on 12v test battery with car off. is it 12.3 or higher? GOOD if it is. Turn the car on and test voltage to battery is it higher? possibly in the 13 range? if so GOOD. That means your alternator is working.

Also if the car is only driven really short distances and periods of time then its possible the battery is using more energy than the alternator is providing. its like a bank acct you put money in and you spend... if you don't put the money in you wont have any to spend!

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com