Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » transmission help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: transmission help
91lxbayarea
¯
Member # 13837

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91lxbayarea  Ford pictures for 91lxbayarea    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my 92 mustang won't do into 2ND 4th or reverse I put it in gear but it just pops out when I hit the gas

It feels like the the gear is not going in all the way like the other

Help please

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91lxbayarea:
So my 92 mustang won't do into 2ND 4th or reverse I put it in gear but it just pops out when I hit the gas

Help please

time for a new tranny or rebuild

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like your shifter might have come loose and the stop is adjusted too far foward

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

fiftwyz
¯
Member # 8351

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiftwyz  Ford pictures for fiftwyz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by 91lxbayarea:

Help please

time for a new tranny or rebuild
+1
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dohcfox:
Sounds like your shifter might have come loose and the stop is adjusted too far foward

Check this first.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

If that were the case, wouldn't it pop out of every gear?

--------------------
ET's to come

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No there is a stop on the front of the shifter, that one stops for all the upward gears on the pattern. Meaning first, third and fifth, then on the bottom there is another stop that is for all the downward gears, second fourth and reverse. When the stops come loose they usually walk the bolt upward making it not engage all the way. Causing a pop out situation in all gears that Ither go upwards or down. It happenes all the time in road race cars from the prolonged vibration.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
No there is a stop on the front of the shifter, that one stops for all the upward gears on the pattern. Meaning first, third and fifth, then on the bottom there is another stop that is for all the downward gears, second fourth and reverse. When the stops come loose they usually walk the bolt upward making it not engage all the way. Causing a pop out situation in all gears that Ither go upwards or down. It happenes all the time in road race cars from the prolonged vibration.

that's true, a definite possibility. Thanks for the clarification
[patriot]

--------------------
ET's to come

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 Had this happen to me (Pro 5.0 shifter). Minor adjustment with the shift stop!

quote:

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com