Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 02 wiring harness for fox body help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 02 wiring harness for fox body help
SONIC LX
¯
Member # 5850

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SONIC LX  Ford pictures for SONIC LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I have an 87 ft that was converted from a AOD to a 5 spd. It used to run perfect but ever since I put all my mods in H/C/I ect..., A9l CPU in it, it started to run rich. The only code it throws up is for both 02 sensors. They aren't very old though. Could it be that I need a different 02 wiring harness? I learned that there is one for 5 spd and one for AOD, I also understand that they are year specific. So I guess my question is, is there one for a 87' 5 spd with A9L CPU. Will this fix everything. Is my CPU frayed now? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance

--------------------
87 LX ex 4cyl now TFS H/C/I
79 Pace car 5.0/C4 5 lug

Posts: 349 | From: Healdsburg | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Crazy question, you did convert to mass air right ? 87 own year, 88-89 own year unless your 88 is a non Cali car then it will still be non mass air, 90 own year, 91 own year, 92-93 own year. I would take the aod tranny harness out and replace with five speed harness. As for the O2 sensor harness look for 88-89
SONIC LX
¯
Member # 5850

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SONIC LX  Ford pictures for SONIC LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is converted to mass air. That's right 87 was all speed density right? So all 87 harnesses will be speed density? So I should get a hole new 87 wiring harness for a 5 spd? And get an 88 5spd 02 harness?

--------------------
79 Pace car 5.0/C4 5 lug

SONIC LX
¯
Member # 5850

Or just replace the transmission harness? Sorry guys I'm dumb with this crap.

--------------------
79 Pace car 5.0/C4 5 lug

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Biggest thing is your trying to add a mass air brain to a non mass air car. a9l is a mass air brain. So yes you should replace the brain with an 87 or upgrade to mass air. Find an 88 or 89 ECU harness with mass air . Or refine the old 87 brain.
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

If you have mass air then it was converted at some point, try replacing the O2 harness with an 88-89, and also replace the tranny harness to 5 speed. Your on the right track you just need to upgrade a few 87 parts.
SONIC LX
¯
Member # 5850

Thank you for your time. That helps a lot. I'll look into that.

--------------------
79 Pace car 5.0/C4 5 lug

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have reconditioned harnesses available.
The above info is correct.
You can convert from an 87 SD to MAF by using an CA88/89 computer harness and a 88-90 5 speed o2 harness. The correct o2 harness is crucial as it WILL damage an A9L if incorrect.
I will PM my number, feel free to contact me with any questions.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does it idle good and when u rev it up it boggles out? Like it has no power past 3000rpm.

My boy went from auto to 5spd and had that prob. We had to repin the 02 harness up front. I beleive you swap pin 5 to pin 6. Ill look up its super easy to do

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heres a link. Hope this helps

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/319599-02-harness-blues-those-swapped-t5s-4cyl-conversions.html#/forumsite/20799/topics/319599

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacGrown89GT:
Heres a link. Hope this helps

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/319599-02-harness-blues-those-swapped-t5s-4cyl-conversions.html#/forumsite/20799/topics/319599

"So i convinced him into just doing away totally with the "converted" mass air harness and start over with a fresh 89 harness that has been gone thru, fresh 89 02 harness (5 speed style) and a fresh injector harness"

Gee, wonder where those harnesses came from [Big Grin]
That is one of my long time customers.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

SONIC LX
¯
Member # 5850

It has plenty of power and revs really well. I will say that if you stop quickly it sometimes wants to die. But as long as your on the gas it goes good. Runs very rich, I think I've got some idea of what's going on now. Thank you for input any and everyone. I appreciate it!

--------------------
79 Pace car 5.0/C4 5 lug

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com