Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog question.... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Smog question....
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No this is not for a hookup!

I'm having a problem passing emissions on my 2004 BMW. Ever time I've gone to get it smogged the guy says my o2 sensors monitor is not running but everything else is fine. I've driven the car for 1000 miles since the first time he told me the monitor wasn't running. I have no dash lights on and car runs fine it's just this damn monitor that won't turn on.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
had this happen before drove almost 5k before it came back "on"

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 70stang351w:
had this happen before drove almost 5k before it came back "on"

Wow. There has to be a way to get this sumbitch on because I've only put 13k miles in the 2 years I've owned it so ~4k more would take forever.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

89_Faleen
¯
Member # 10728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89_Faleen  Ford pictures for 89_Faleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had this happen to my s10 talked to smog guy he told me a certain driving procedure i had to drive to set them.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Guess you don't get SES light or anything when a o2 sensor goes dead. Scanned my car with my BMW scanner and confirmed pre cat bank 1 o2 sensor is dead. Let's see what happens once this new sensor comes in.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
clear check engine light again and drive 55 on the freeway for 15mins. then check monitors.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:
clear check engine light again and drive 55 on the freeway for 15mins. then check monitors.

How do you check monitors without going in to the smog place?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

BAD ASS 5.HO
¯
Member # 10947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAD ASS 5.HO  Ford pictures for BAD ASS 5.HO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:

+2 [Eek!]
Depending on your scanner, but most of them have a option to check for monitor rreadiness.

--------------------
98 boosted/stroked cobra
98 rio red cobra

SneakyStang87
¯
Member # 10724

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SneakyStang87  Ford pictures for SneakyStang87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/OBDproc.pdf

--------------------
00 z28-dd
79 Coupe-Project Almost done
93 Drop Top-Got Jacked
87 lx-crashed
89 gt-sold
90 lx supercharged-sold

Posts: 272 | From: 925 to 916 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by SneakyStang87:

I've done that drive cycle so many times, pissed off a lot of people with the 55 mph on the freeway thing and that piece of shit is still off! I've gotten like 4 tickets for not having my 2015 tags(yes they're paid). I'm going to make an appointment with the BMW dealership to see if they can get it on as a last resort before I give up on this car. These smog laws are straight bullshit my car runs perfect, is 100% stock and has no dash lights or pending codes at all and still doesn't fucken pass smog!!!! [Mad] [BS flag]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

I've done that drive cycle so many times, pissed off a lot of people with the 55 mph on the freeway thing and that piece of shit is still off! I've gotten like 4 tickets for not having my 2015 tags(yes they're paid). I'm going to make an appointment with the BMW dealership to see if they can get it on as a last resort before I give up on this car. These smog laws are straight bullshit my car runs perfect, is 100% stock and has no dash lights or pending codes at all and still doesn't fucken pass smog!!!! [Mad] [BS flag]
OBD ready monitors are bullshit for sure.

I had this problem on the cobra when i got it and it took a nice trip to pinole with cruise control on to finally get the monitor to turn off.

Good luck, i hope you get this one figured out.

BMW = Break my wallet [Smile]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:
quote:
quote:

OBD ready monitors are bullshit for sure.

I had this problem on the cobra when i got it and it took a nice trip to pinole with cruise control on to finally get the monitor to turn off.

Good luck, i hope you get this one figured out.

BMW = Break my wallet [Smile]

Shit I been fighting with these monitors for months and it's just the o2 monitor not coming on. I read online that 25-30 mph check o2 monitors if you drive for 3-5 minutes straight. I drove all the way to work with cruise control at like 28 mph, didn't stop at the lights or stop signs so it can go on. We'll see if it worked when I get home(my scanner is there).

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have to take it to a shop, go to Performance Technic in Dublin. They'll be able to help you out and it will be cheaper than the dealership.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:
If you have to take it to a shop, go to Performance Technic in Dublin. They'll be able to help you out and it will be cheaper than the dealership.

I'll check them out. I don't plan on spending much since there's literally nothing wrong with the car its just that monitor not coming on. Maybe a dyno in the morning(when the car is cold) will get it to kick on. [Confused]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the monitors are not set ready you fail. The ECM is not seeing that monitor find out why

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does have o2 sensors or air/fuel sensors?
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:

It has 4 brand new Bosch o2 sensors.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Are you sure you replaced it with the right sensors. An where did you purchase this sensors from.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you sure you replaced it with the right sensors. An where did you purchase this sensors from.
Yes they're the right ones. Got them at autozone has the same part # as everyone suggest to use.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes they're the right ones. Got them at autozone has the same part # as everyone suggest to use.
There your first problem autozone parts are ok for domestic an Japanese cars not some much or European cars. Second why did you replace them?
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

There your first problem autozone parts are ok for domestic an Japanese cars not some much or European cars. Second why did you replace them?
Never buy parts for German cars at Autozone. Always buy OEM or OEM replacement (i.e. German MFG). German cars are VERY finicky when it comes to replacement parts, especially electronic stuff. I buy all my German stuff at Pelican Parts. They're the best value I've found on the web.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Never buy parts for German cars at Autozone. Always buy OEM or OEM replacement (i.e. German MFG). German cars are VERY finicky when it comes to replacement parts, especially electronic stuff. I buy all my German stuff at Pelican Parts. They're the best value I've found on the web.
So what you guys are saying is that I'm fucked even though they're bosch ones because I bought them from autozone?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Why did you shot gun the o2 sensors anyways. An are you sure your car does have o2 sensors an not air fuel sensors. There are 2 different things that do the same function.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Why did you shot gun the o2 sensors anyways. An are you sure your car does have o2 sensors an not air fuel sensors. There are 2 different things that do the same function.

Because a while back I had a code for a bad o2 sensor so I just said fuck it I'll swap them out they were the original ones with 100k miles on them. I think I seen on the box(I threw them out) it said air fuel, I might be tripping tho.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

What was the code?

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com