Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Excessive HC emissions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Excessive HC emissions
86GT_Hatch_Pearl
Member # 13762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86GT_Hatch_Pearl  Ford pictures for 86GT_Hatch_Pearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just took my 86 GT for smog the other day. NOx and CO were just fine, but HC was about 30 ppm over the max limit. I had a similar issue last time, replaced the EGR vacuum control solenoid and solved the issue. I did an ignition tune-up less than 5 months ago, I doubt the plugs are that fouled. I also recently replaced the smog pump. I was thinking of replacing the solenoid again and possibly the EGR valve itself. Any suggestions or thoughts?
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drive the piss out off it an the hc should drop the catalyst most likely warmed all the way or the car cooled down.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3cRider  Ford pictures for 3cRider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe Ca lowered the limits a few years ago (I don't know if it was NOX, CO, and hydrocarbons or just one of them) and it's only gotten harder to pass. Cars that once passed with a good margin suddenly don't have as much wiggle room.
But like Hurting your feelings said, get the cats good and hot! Some have even thermal wrapped them to ensure they stay hot.

[ 2014-12-13, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: 3cRider ]

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you got a friend who is a smog tech. pull the spout connector and it sho uld pass

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Install a dummy spout connector and go through emissions

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just drive the shit out of it an when show up to the smog shop have smog right away.it failed because the catalytic converter's had time to cool down.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tom renzo! never thought of this. thanks.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:
tom renzo! never thought of this. thanks.

You can cut the wire going to the connector an install but connector's so you only have to un-hook the wire when smogging the car.
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Too rich.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

86GT_Hatch_Pearl
Member # 13762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86GT_Hatch_Pearl  Ford pictures for 86GT_Hatch_Pearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Failed again! Cleaned out the EGR valve, check valves, throttle body and the spark plugs and ran 101 octane unleaded race fuel from 76...it dropped HC emissions, but not enough to pass. Still 10 ppm over the limit. I drove the car for about 20 miles and didn't shut the engine off until the smog tech took it. I'm starting to wonder if that loose wire my buddy found in my spout connector was my savings grace at the last smog check. This is rather frustrating.
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Driving for 20 minutes will not get the cats hot enough drive hard for about a hour.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not to rich it can be lean and increase the numbers as well. Normally advanced timing can do it and removing the spout will let you sail through the test if your engine is in good shape with no other issues. Did you disable the SPOUT ????????????? Everything you did prior to the test was useless as you found out. HC is unburnt fuel. Your timing is to high. Fudge the spout and or reduce the timing. Not sure if CA checks base timing i think they do. DID YOU DISABLE THE SPOUT>>> YES>>> NO ???

[ 2014-12-24, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Yes we check the timing.
86GT_Hatch_Pearl
Member # 13762

No, I didn't disable the spout. I'll do that the next time I go, since all I have to do is pull the wire slightly out of the connector's socket. ..its already loose.
86GT_Hatch_Pearl
Member # 13762

No, I didn't disable the spout. I'll do that the next time I go, since all I have to do is pull the wire slightly out of the connector's socket. ..its already loose. Base timing is at 10 degrees.

[ 2014-12-24, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: 86GT_Hatch_Pearl ]

86GT_Hatch_Pearl
Member # 13762

[ 2014-12-24, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: 86GT_Hatch_Pearl ]

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this a stock motor? There is a tube that connects both heads together , back side against fire wall, is this tube free flowing? Blow threw it, 9 out of ten cars looked at the tube is clogged . Plus Where this tube connects to at the heads could be clogged as well. If your car cannot breath it will fail. If the car is stock the timing should be at 10' , you don't need 101 octane to smog a car, if it was manufactured with 89 octane that's what you use. Period. Many of stangs have failed due to thats mission tube on the back of the motor.
86GT_Hatch_Pearl
Member # 13762

Well, the spout connector bit didn't work, it only made it worse. Looks like I need some new cats. It's something of a bummer, since I replaced the two main cats approximately 7 years ago. I'd go with magnaflow's direct-fit CARB legal piece, but the cost is a little out of my price range. I can only hope my muffler shop can work some magic with the stock H-pipe again for a reasonable price.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

I find that hard to believe. reducing the timing will always decrease HC significantly.

--------------------

86GT_Hatch_Pearl
Member # 13762

I thought it was strange, too. What you said made perfect sense. When disabled, the HC levels rose slightly more (135 ppm) and CO was readable..reconnected it and ran it again, HC went back down to about 126 and CO down to 0. Something strange about this. Combination of sensors and cats, maybe. I could smell the unburnt gas in the exhaust when it was on the dyno.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com