Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 2003-04 cobra oil cooler leak?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 2003-04 cobra oil cooler leak?
bigbowen1
¯
Member # 13168

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigbowen1  Ford pictures for bigbowen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 2003 cobra leaking oil from the pin hole/weep hole on the under side of the oil cooler. does anyone know what to do, ford doesnt make the oil coolers any more and i have had a lot of trouble finding anything aftermarket to delete or swap the cooler. any suggestions??
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can buy a oil filter relocation kit and use braided hose to relocate the filter and run a aftermarket air to oil cooler. Then make a hose up from bends from other hoses. Or try ebay for a used one. Just be cautious they have pancake alunimum fins inside fhat catch and hold lots of metal. So if it's from a blown up motor it could be full of metal. Ither way flush it out well before install

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

bigbowen1
¯
Member # 13168

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigbowen1  Ford pictures for bigbowen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you suggest any aftermarket oil cooler kits to use? Basically I'm looking at a 5-600$ fix?? Do all of these cobras have this problem?
BTLD GT
¯
Member # 5229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BTLD GT  Ford pictures for BTLD GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One of two things will fix this. First check to see If the threads the oil filter screws onto are loose I think it's a 12mm Allen if not remove the insert from the oil cooler and replace the oring. I've seen this many times, the threads come loose from multiple oil changes.

Daniel

--------------------
2000 Cobra R

1SICK89
¯
Member # 8619

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SICK89  Ford pictures for 1SICK89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Man not to shur but on my 96 cobra I just took out my oil cooler and put in a 03 GT oil filter adapter but I would look in too it bfor I do it mine had water in The cooling system which was a big problem to get out of my cooling jackets still trying to get oil out myself think it's simpler to the 03/04cobra anyone correct me if I'm wrong ....
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No 03 04 cobra the alternator is in the way of the lower hose. The lower hose has to go in very low

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

bigbowen1
¯
Member # 13168

quote:
Originally posted by BTLD GT:
One of two things will fix this. First check to see If the threads the oil filter screws onto are loose I think it's a 12mm Allen if not remove the insert from the oil cooler and replace the oring. I've seen this many times, the threads come loose from multiple oil changes.

Daniel

Where do I get the o rings that would need to be replaced? I don't think ford carries them

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com