Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » which heads?? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: which heads??
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I need some advice..

im doing a 351w project for my 82 and am stuck on which heads I should get..

my setup is dish pistons, said to give 8.5:1 compression with stock lightning heads.. roller motor(94 lightning block), mild cam, gt40 lightning intake..

I am going to be boosting the motor with a procharger, but low boost.. 10-12psi..

the car isnt going to see much track time and its probably never gonna turn past 6500 rpm.. its mostly gonna be a street car that WILL be driven to the corner store or cruises and stuff..

I dont know which heads to get for my setup though.. I was thinking AFR 185's but willbthey be too small? I was getting a good deal on victor jrs but am scared those will be a little too big for what I have in mind..

any suggestions will help..

-FiJi- [patriot]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Victor jr's are perfect but if your not lookng for speed, id just get the cheapest set you can get your hands on.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:
Victor jr's are perfect but if your not lookng for speed, id just get the cheapest set you can get your hands on.

You dont think they will be too big with a mild cam n low boost?? Also, what would be better 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers?

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depends on the cam, and victor jr's are perfect for a 351w and their cheap too. That set up with a .500 lift and up cam should be around 450 to the wheels. Hopefully you got a good tranny for it lol.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont see how your going to benefit from a bigger heavier motor if your going to throw 302 heads on it..you might as well stay 302 if you you get afr 185 heads .. id do it right and get the victor jr heads.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bigger internal cubes over stock require more airflow over stock. i think a 351 should start at a 200 flow head unless u wana just get groceries.the 170 trick flows where designed for your base 302, the 185,s are for a hyped 302 or beginning 331, look what folks are running on there 347,s. this is just a rounded off estimate but u get the idea? the victor jr,s sound crazy on a 302 unless highly built but well be just fine for flow on a 351 if the vavles clear the pistons.
yes 351,s came stock with crap heads but again they where not reving past 4500 rpm and wanted big torque at like 2500 to move big trucks lol. mustangs are not trucks.

diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always read if u have a 351 don't go with 302 heads cause you'll see 302 power gains and not 351 power gains. 302 heads are 165cc-190cc.

That said, youre supercharging anyway not like you would notice right? Trickflow 205s something you could look into

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Gotchaa.. im not really familiar with 351w setups which is exactly why i posted here.. My main concern was getting heads that were TOO big for my purpose because it would never see high rpms past 6500.. my main concern with trickflows is cutting the pistons which is why I was leaning towards AFR or victor jrs.. after reading ur posts I think ima go with the victor jr heads..

thanks fellaz [patriot]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well the best flowing heads are AFR 165 if memory serves me for small fords. And as far as PV clearance it is a must to check it. My experience with small fords is anything over 480-500 total lift is getting real critical. naturally there are several variables like deck height head milling cams size of the valves and cam overall specks degreeing and overlap and duration. But with a cam that is at or below 500 and AFR heads on 10 Lbs of boost it will be a stretch to obtain 400 WHP. Other than that make sure you check PV clearance and keep the lobe centers at or around 110-112* I would go for a cam of at least 560-580L and make sure you check the PV CLEARANCE especially on that engine,VJ heads in my view are better for more cubes and i would not hesitate one minute to use them and cut the pistons. But AFR has some other heads that will do the job nicely. But you need more lift than 500. Good luck and use a bigger cam @ 500 you are limited to @ or around 400 MAX

[ 2013-12-27, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should also worry about that intake being too small unless you do some heavy port work. Saleen S351s came with Edelbrock Performer heads and TFS Twisted Wedge 170s, heavily ported Cobra Intake with a Vortech S-trim and made around 500hp, almost any head will work but the bigger the head, you should get a bigger intake, like a TFS R intake with the Victor Jr heads or the AFR185 heads. I am leaving my GT40 heads and Cobra Intake on my 351 R motor with a Vortech S-trim and it should make around 450HP, I don't need any more than that since it's going to be a daily driver. I found a guy on SVT Performance in the Cobra R section claiming 420rwhp with his stock 351 R motor with just a S-trim.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I found a guy on SVT Performance in the Cobra R section claiming 420rwhp with his stock 351 R motor with just a S-trim. Hard to believe!!

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
I found a guy on SVT Performance in the Cobra R section claiming 420rwhp with his stock 351 R motor with just a S-trim. Hard to believe!!

I guess you don't know S-trims, with a S-trim can gain 150-200hp depending on how you set them up, pulley size and race gas can do a lot. I have done 417rwhp with 306, stock cam, GT40 heads, GT40 intake and S-trim , I don't think the motor without the S-trim was even making 300hp at the flywheel. I also have done a 306, e303 cam, Edelbrock Performer Heads, GT40 intake with a S-trim and made 474rwhp, I don't think the motor without the S-trim was even making 350hp at the flywheel. Both setups had the same blower with 2.80" blower pulley and 7.00 crank pulley with a Cartech Powerpipe and were tuned with a 110 octane.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Just a question i have for all this RWH numbers from these engines. How much does it cost and what can you compare it to!! Also what type of dyne are you using for these numbers?? just curious!!

So basically with an S TRIM blower transmission you want people to know you have a blower when the hood is closed. SO you went from 300 WHP To 472 WHP. With a blower Fascinating!! Lets see that blower takes how many ponies to spin it. I was born at night but!!!!

[ 2013-12-28, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

It's $200/HR, I believe I did all these were on a Dynojet, an A-trim will give an extra 100hp max with the HP taken to spin it, a S-trim will give an extra 150-200hp with the HP taken to spin it.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I used to operate the dyno when we tuned at Mustang Ranch, 480 rwhp was quite common on a HCI S-trimmed 302.. and that was usually obtained on 9:1 compression and 18-19 degrees of timing with 12lbs of boost. The dyno was a dynojet 248 which is one of the more accurate dynos you can use.

[ 2013-12-29, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: SLOWSN95 ]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ok just checking but the most feared Mustang by a Mustang owner is the photo bellow. I have dynowed hundreds of these combinations and was just curious thats all. What i meant was how much it cost to make the hp numbers that were posted. Going to say thousands. Thank you for the response.
 -

[ 2013-12-29, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
who shop it that? lol u took a selfie lol
redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
who shop it that? lol u took a selfie lol

LoL...... [Big Grin]

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Just changing out the burnt belts after sever high HP PULLS. My son snapped the photo and he did it for laughs. Thank you.

[ 2013-12-29, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

oh its gd dam i wish i had my own dyno, pretty funny pic though u know like i own this shit and what?? lol gd day
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
Ok just checking but the most feared Mustang by a Mustang owner is the photo bellow. I have dynowed hundreds of these combinations and was just curious thats all. What i meant was how much it cost to make the hp numbers that were posted. Going to say thousands. Thank you for the response.
 -

Wish you were closer so I can see what you are doing, if we are wrong on our numbers or yours are wrong

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well have spoken with Ed Curtis of FTI and he suggested the 195 AFR heads with one his custom cams for my stock 351 lightning motor, TFS R intake and single turbo. Car is basically going to be a street car will a few visits to the track.
sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
165afr heads f cam 5lbs mid 400 here

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

quote:
Originally posted by 91redmustang:
Well have spoken with Ed Curtis of FTI and he suggested the 195 AFR heads with one his custom cams for my stock 351 lightning motor, TFS R intake and single turbo. Car is basically going to be a street car will a few visits to the track.

do you know the specs on the cam by any chance?? how many pounds are you boosting and what power range are you in??

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

quote:
Originally posted by sleeping stallion:
165afr heads f cam 5lbs mid 400 here

302 or 351?? what rpm range are seeing the power at??

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com