Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » is it common for 5.0 plenum vacuum ports to clog?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: is it common for 5.0 plenum vacuum ports to clog?
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been trying to make the egr in my 90 5.0 functional. I checked for manifold vacuum from the red vacuum line at my egr vacuum regulator, no vacuum. Traced the vacuum line back to the plenum and no breaks on the vacuum line. Pulled the hose off at the back of my plenum (one vacuum port has a line going to my FPR, the other has a line to my EGR), NO VACUUM! I actually hooked up my vacuum pump to the red vacuum line where it connects to my EVR and I was able to apply vacuum going back to the manifold and it held! There is no cap or silicone at the end of the plenum nipple and I was able to stick a paper clip about 3/4 of its length in there. Is there anything under the plenum that could be plugging it? As far as I know it is all metal going under the plenum until it finally goes into it. Is this common? Should I just try to unclog it with a coat hanger? I only get to work on my mustang about 3 hours every monday as I'm trying to prep it for smog and would like to avoid pulling the plenum if possible.

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
never seen it happen, pull off that crab vac fitting and clean it out or replace
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Plenum takes about 20min to take it out. You might as well pull it and let the ports soak in gasoline or better yet get another intake from someone

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The upper can be removed in 10 minutes wearing boxing gloves. I have seen a couple of blocked uppers but very rare. Good luck!!

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If stock? Have you taken the smog tube out that goes from the cats to the smog tubbing ? Also the tube that connects to each of the heads on the rear of engine, if the tube or holes in the head are blocked with carbon, you will have this issue as well. In the middle of the upper and lower is a hole, we're air goes threw the heads to upper intake, is this clear and free of carbon,
diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
interesting i have no vacuum from the red line either. but i have gt40p heads so the cross tube is hooked on the head, but the smog pump and the tube to the cats is.
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have seen an intake that had a pool of oil in the plenum . This was on a road race motor that had blow by issues and a pcv that was allowing the oil by.

I could see vacuum ports getting clogged.

[ 2013-12-28, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com