Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » are map sensors and bap sensors interchangeable?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: are map sensors and bap sensors interchangeable?
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 90 5.0 with a faulty bap sensor. I saw map sensors for half the price of bap sensors. I go to the parts store amd see that the map sensor nipple (for a vacuum line that would not be hooked up in my car) is skinnier then the baro port on my existing bap sensor. It looks like it has a cap with a screen on it to prevent dirt from going in it since there is no vaccuum lime going to it. Can I use the cheaper map sensor to read baro pressure or do I need to buy the bap sensor? Maybe due to calibration differences or something?

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes and no. They work the same but you need a fitting to connect to the map for engine vacuum. When Ford needs a BARO sensor they put a special cap on the fitting. Guys mistake them for MAPS and remove the cap and install a vacuum hose and connect it to the intake. I have seen this several times on the TC. Both are identically calibrated believe it or not.And normally interchangeable. That is the early ones. They even have the same plug!

-

[ 2013-12-03, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay as long as they are interchangeable and perform the same for the pcm I'm gunna go with the cheaper one hahaha. Thanks man!

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all truth.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com