Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help - Coolant leak with pic

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help - Coolant leak with pic
RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all,
I've got a pretty bad coolant leak that I can't track down where its coming from. Just to give some background, my car is a 98 GT that has had the intake replaced to the one with aluminum crossover.

The low coolant light comes on everyday and I fill the reservoir at least once a week but can't drive more than 30 minutes without the light coming back on. Luckily, the car doesn't overheat at all.

I was under the car this weekend and the best I could identify is that it seems like it's coming from the rear of the engine on the driver's side. I snapped a pic and circled in red where the coolant kept puddling up (it's dry in the pic).

Any suggestions on what I should be checking? I don't even know of anything back there that could be leaking coolant.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvmxlcy7cg1d7js/2013-11-09%2014.30.16.jpg

[ 2013-11-11, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: RioredGT ]

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem with my car leaking coolant and having to refill the reserve. The way I fixed it is my buddy has a pressure tester.

We took the cap off of the radiator, pumped the system with air, and listened for water/air leaking out. My leak was right behind the intake.

You're best bet would be to get a pressure tester like I did and track the leak down.

Good luck!

Charles [patriot]

Merry Christmas [Big Grin]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sick91  Ford pictures for 1Sick91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they sell those pressure testers at harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html
Posts: 217 | From: Vacaville, Ca | Registered: May 2006  |  :
RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I had the same problem with my car leaking coolant and having to refill the reserve. The way I fixed it is my buddy has a pressure tester.

We took the cap off of the radiator, pumped the system with air, and listened for water/air leaking out. My leak was right behind the intake.

You're best bet would be to get a pressure tester like I did and track the leak down.

Good luck!

Charles [patriot]

Merry Christmas [Big Grin]

Thanks for the tip. Just curious, how did you fix the leak, what did you end up changing?

quote:
they sell those pressure testers at harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html
Right on for sharing that. There's a HFT about five minutes from my work. I'll have to check it out. Thanks [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com