Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5 days in and my first problem has reared its face...update 2 (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 5 days in and my first problem has reared its face...update 2
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1987 4 cylinder mustang....
Drove it with no problems when I bought it on july 4th, passed smog with flying colors on july 5th, drove it home last night and it was fine, go to start it this morning and boom, wont start. Initially it started but bogged out and died, turn key, start, bog, die, then nothing. I replaced the coil and nothing, pulled the spark plugs and they were extremely dirty so I gently wiped them with a rag and hit them with a wire brush, still no start. It has fuel for sure just no spark. My funds are limited so I turn to the board for help. The car will turn and turn and turn but just wont start. I tried using the number 1 spark plug as my coil wire and left the 1 plug uncapped and it almost started but wouldn't so I'm stumped. Help me please.

[ 2013-07-13, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: x Raelsmar x ]

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the timing belt is not broken
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BIGBALLFACTOR:

one of my good friends as well as the boards own JaeJae have looked at it and both agree their is just NO spark, I'm led to believe it is the distributor but not 100% so I'm on here. lol. I very highly doubt it's the timing chain because I drove it yesterday and last night, parked it in my driveway and came out around 2pm and it just wouldn't start.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
quote:

one of my good friends as well as the boards own JaeJae have looked at it and both agree their is just NO spark, I'm led to believe it is the distributor but not 100% so I'm on here. lol. I very highly doubt it's the timing chain because I drove it yesterday and last night, parked it in my driveway and came out around 2pm and it just wouldn't start.
Check the belt. An what year is it
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
quote:
quote:

Check the belt. An what year is it
It's an 87. I will check the belt in the AM when there is some light.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your missing 4 cyl that's why [Wink]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
Your missing 4 cyl that's why [Wink]

haha it took me a minute to figure this out, very funny.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmmmm, asking for crystal ball diagnostics........... So you have fuel, you removed a plug and saw spark jump, or not? If not, start tracing the issue back.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
VTEC kicked in?
Check your ignition coil to see if it sending a spark to the distributor?

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe the ignition control module?

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

I'm not sure there is any spark, I replaced the coil but had the same problem. I tested spark using a plug but couldn't see anything, but then again I think the plug is bad. 4 bad plugs could very well be my issue.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

quote:
I'm not sure there is any spark, I replaced the coil but had the same problem. I tested spark using a plug but couldn't see anything, but then again I think the plug is bad. 4 bad plugs could very well be my issue.

It would run still but would run like shit
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:

My guess aswell
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
quote:

My guess aswell
Which is located where? The car turns it just won't fire, the 2 lucky times it did fire up it just fell flat on its face and died. lol

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

+1 Or pick up coil

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tfi module on the side of the distributor. had an 88 4cyl that did the same thing to me on the way to tahoe one time.
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by cemelevu:
tfi module on the side of the distributor. had an 88 4cyl that did the same thing to me on the way to tahoe one time.

This is what one of my friends has said too. I'm just trying to pinpoint the problem so I don't waste money, cause I don't have it.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

quote:
quote:

This is what one of my friends has said too. I'm just trying to pinpoint the problem so I don't waste money, cause I don't have it.
Have you pulled the cap off the distributor yet
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5023948_troubleshooting-ford-ignition-module.html
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to be cheap, Go to pick n pull and pull a module off a 4cyl ford out there.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Take module off and bring it to kragens or what ever and they test it for free man you need special tool though its like 5bucks as well.

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

9 times out of 10 when an '80s Mustang has a crank-no-start issue, it's the TFI module.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure on year, but does this car have the 2.3 timing belt motor with a distributor? I know that there were issues with stripped gear pins due to siezed oil pumps- check to make sure the distributor is turning when you crank. This also tells you whats up with your timing belt-

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

triple black hatch
CAFords OG
Member # 5420

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple black hatch  Ford pictures for triple black hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pull the cap off the distributor make sure the rotor is not burned.

[ 2013-07-10, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: triple black hatch ]

Posts: 1409 | From: (650)-(209) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Time 4 a v8 swap

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com