Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » notch starter and fuel pump stay on !!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: notch starter and fuel pump stay on !!!!
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Been having a problem with the starter staying engaged, even after turning the car off, starter stays "on". only turns off by me either shutting off the battery disconnect switch or disconnecting the starter wire from the starter soleniod switch.

have already swapped out the starter soleniod switch and starter for new ones and still does the same thing. AND NOW the fuel pump stays on when I turn the key to the on position.

Swapped the fuel shut off switch and does the same thing.. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had similar happen to my car. The solenoid works but too much current draw caused the solenoid to "spot weld" closed. A few taps with the screw driver would knock it loose and the started would turn off.

I would suggest a HD starter solenoid, check the starter or replace it with a new one, make sure your battery is charged

For the fuel pump, try replacing the relay under the driver seat.

ultimately you need to figure out why your contacts are going bad.

-Rich

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Happened to my wifes 89 gt "purple lightning" we never really figured it out. We used 3 kragen starters all went bad and yes we changed the solenoid each time, yes it did have a cheap walmart battery in it and once i let her borrow my optima battery it started just fine, for a week then i took my battery back and it began again...
we changed to a diff brand starter and it stopped for 4months then came back.
So the domino effect was happening to me soooo, imo get a good battery "not a cheap new battery" dont get a starter from kragen, new solenoid, clean &inspect starter cable, positive cable, nd all solenoid cables.

Quick question for you did you have to pump your pedal as if you are carburated to start your car?
Reason why i ask is
Battery not fully charged because old and cheap, wasnt bringing enough power to the solenoid which connects to starter and injectors and fuel pump. So it cranked slower and not sending enough gas or pressure, sooooo we pump the gas pedal like its carburated, but when it starts were still pumping the gas pedal and the flywheel spins fast too quickly that the starter doesnt have time to disengage from the flywheel thus breaking the starter and somehow messing up the current flo perhaps what the guy said above about the solenoid staying closed until you hit it.
Idk like i said never really fixed it but that was my thought bubble on it

[ 2013-05-26, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Replaced the ignition switch on the steering column and that helped until I cranked it for a 4th time and did the same thing. Although it hasnt done it since.

Have a fully charged optima battery in there and now a brand new starter from autozone, had a ford starter previously in there. Going to buy a hd solenoid and replace the relay under the seat today and clean all the battery connections(all the cables are new).

And btw.. never pumped the gas pedal. Thanks for the help guys.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com