Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Can I bypass the powersteering pump?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I bypass the powersteering pump?
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I'm building an engine test stand and I am close to starting this 306 on it. My question is ; is the pressure coming out of the powersteering pump too high to loop back into the reservoir ? I'm not really sure if there is normally a significant pressure drop after the rack before it goes back into the res. I would rather build a powersteering idler before I have to throw a rack on this stupid thing haha!
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im pretty sure the return line is a LOT lower pressure than the pressure feed line

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 83notcher  Ford pictures for 83notcher    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just get a ac/power steering delete bracket.
Posts: 484 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Dec 2012  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright sounds like I gotta make an idler or something unles those deletes are cheap since I just need it so I can fire this motor up
blueoval55
¯
Member # 9787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueoval55  Ford pictures for blueoval55    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When i started my 351 on a test stand i looped the hose back to the return side. I didn't use the pump in the vehicle but it worked for the test stand. If its an open hose with no restrictions it won't have too much pressure
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're building a test stand, why do you need a belt? Just run it without the belt. You can run the engine for a few minutes without having run the water pump.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

quote:
Originally posted by blueoval55:
When i started my 351 on a test stand i looped the hose back to the return side. I didn't use the pump in the vehicle but it worked for the test stand. If its an open hose with no restrictions it won't have too much pressure

Perfect that was my thought process!

And yea I could run it without the pump I would just like to get it up to temp more just to test the cooling system (admittedly a little small) for just incase in the future I do a couple cam break ins on it. Pretty sure ill need a bigger radiator though haha

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would use an electric water pump and a radiator with a large shop fan blowing at the motor. No belt needed. Done.
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This might help you out.

-

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Thanks for the pic! This motor is not mine just getting ready to do an efi swap on a friends fairlane, don't think he's down to buy an electric wp just to get it running on the stand.thanks for the suggestion though!

Only problem is the motor has deleted ac , will bypass the smog pump and ps I don't really see a way to do that without an idler . May just have to bite the bullet and make one.... Or I may try to just route the output into the res . Worst case I owe him a 50$ pump.. I think odds are good if I use a big enough hose it will be fine

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com