Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need advice:

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice:
mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for mrsmcizzle  Ford pictures for mrsmcizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a stock '86 gt roller shortblock and sum gt40 heads that were ported with stock springs and no lifters. My question is whats a good cam under .500 lift that would allow me to keep my stock springs and still give me good performance? Any and all advice is much needed.
Posts: 166 | From: oakland, ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mrsmcizzle:
I have a stock '86 gt roller shortblock and sum gt40 heads that were ported with stock springs and no lifters. My question is whats a good cam under .500 lift that would allow me to keep my stock springs and still give me good performance? Any and all advice is much needed.

Mostly anyone is going to recommend new springs with any cam above stock. Even switching to 1.7 ratio roller rocker arms typically should have upgraded springs and that only adds roughly .03" of lift to your cam. Plus consider how many miles are on your springs already. They might even need to be replaced with the use of the factory cam.

As for cams, I've only had a few cams. I've had the stock cam with factory rocker arms, & 1.7 roller rockers, Ford B-Cam, Ford F-Cam, & a Crane Nostalgia Cam. So far I like the F-Cam the best. It's power band is a little higher than stock or b-cam which helps a little bit with traction, but once you're in the power band it pulls hard. B-Cam I actually liked as an overall cam and might be a good way to go for what you're looking at. .480/.480 lift with more duration than the stock cam and it has a decently broad power curve.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll have one ground for you that's low lift split pattern with a tad more duration and on a 111 works pretty good with gt40s as does b and f cam if ur springs are up to par

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the pvc with those stock flat tops?

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
What is the pvc with those stock flat tops?

+1. I didn't think you could run non E6 heads and a higher than stock lift cam with the '86 flat tops.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll fly cut for you for a small fee if its out of the car. I've had good luck with my little custom cam and up to 1.90/1.6 valves but every motor is different.

--------------------

mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrsmcizzle  Ford pictures for mrsmcizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
I'll have one ground for you that's low lift split pattern with a tad more duration and on a 111 works pretty good with gt40s as does b and f cam if ur springs are up to par

The block isnt in the car and my heads arent on the block. Let me kno whats my bill
mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrsmcizzle  Ford pictures for mrsmcizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alot of folks are sayin just run with 1.7 rockers it'll do me better justice since i have the stock flat top pistons if thats the case, what size rods do i get?
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Alot of folks are sayin just run with 1.7 rockers it'll do me better justice since i have the stock flat top pistons if thats the case, what size rods do i get?

This is the route I'd go and you'll be fine with the stock 6.250 pushrods I'm sure.

--------------------

mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

What size studs am i supposed to get anybody know?
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
What size studs am i supposed to get anybody know?

Is Dan doing your setup? If so, I'm sure he knows.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Naw im doin this myself i rather have Dan do my stroker

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com